Should Kessel be suspended?

yave1964

Phil Kessel acted like a complete idiot in last nights game against the Buffalo Sabres.

After a fight between a minor league goon and Corey Tropp of the Sabres who is rumored to finally be awake on the ensuing faceoff Phil Kessel was lined up against Neanderthal John Scott whose only claim to fame is he is really, really, big. Well Kessel started yapping, Scott dropped the gloves and Kessel doing his best Paul Bunyon attempting to cut Scotts legs off at the knees and at least make him close to the same height. New Leaf David Clarkson jumped off the bench and faces a mandatory ten game suspension.

All of this in a meaningless preseason game. Completely meaningless.

So should Kessel face a suspension?

The case against as I understand it is Scott is a bully who should have fought someone his own size, or at least in his own class as a heavyweight in the league. Scott IS a one dimensional goon who is in the league for one reason only, he brings no set skill. He is capable of lining up on the Wing or defense equally bad at both.

The case against Kessel- so what. So the biggest damn thing you have ever seen in your life drops the gloves and comes after you, run or fight, don't try to use your stick as a weapon. The Leafs under Randy Carlyle were the leading fighting club in the league last year and will likely be again. I love their style.

Kessel was faced with a tough situation, he yapped his jaw and a mountain rolled down upon him. He took the chicken way out. Swinging a stick is unacceptable under any circumstance, he deserves a few games. Loved the fight tho.

Yes Phil Kessel should be suspended. In fact, I believe he has to be suspended as he was assessed a match penalty.

Probably a couple games.

Didn't like how he reacted to Scott, but I will say I find Scott's move there just pure stupidity. He had to have known exactly what was going to happen if he did that and the Leafs have a right to be pissed at him for doing that. That crap he spouted about saying Kessel agreed to fight him is bull. He can't seriously have thought that Kessel, at 8 inches shorter and with 1 career fight (which was just a joke) wanted to fight him. I'm not excusing Kessel's action by any means (should've just backed up, pushed him or something) but Scott going after a clearly not willing to fight Kessel and trying to justify it is all malarkey.

Clarkson's move was just stupid. As much as I like a team sticking up for each other, that was dumb and only costs the team.

However, I would like to point out that Jamie Devane is actually a decent bottom six prospect for the Leafs and not a random goon callup, just to clarify (3rd rounder from a couple years ago). I mean there's a good chance he ends up nothing more than an enforcer but the Leafs have been trying to groom his skill game as well. That fight was a mutually agreed on fight (Carlyle said that he thought Tropp instigated it) that ended in them falling to the ice in an unfortunate incident. I really don't think Devane had any malicious intent, but they fell over mid punch.

Edited by Commander Clueless

I think Kessel gets three games. Deservedly. Scott has no class though either. Lost respect for both if I had any.

I don't know why anyone would have "respect" for John Scott. Guy's only claim to fame is being able to stand on skates while he swings.

However, as blocker ably pointed out in another thread, if I'm running my yap with an angry guy half a foot taller than me who's claim to fame is being able to stand on skates while swinging fists, I'm not going to act all surprised when he takes a swing.

You had better believe he should be suspended and fined heavily.  In a pre season game for Gods sake?  How does this happen?  Miller has stoked some fire between the teams I will admit but him using the stick is just uncalled for.  Wait until they meet the first time in the regular season.  There may be fights in the stands.   Do you know how many Toronto fans cross the border?  THEY NEVER RUN OUT OF MONEY UP THERE.

that is because they have free health insurance.

You had better believe he should be suspended and fined heavily.  In a pre season game for Gods sake?  How does this happen?  Miller has stoked some fire between the teams I will admit but him using the stick is just uncalled for.  Wait until they meet the first time in the regular season.  There may be fights in the stands.   Do you know how many Toronto fans cross the border?  They never run out of money up there.  

While I agree he should be suspended, I don't think there's any question as to how this happened. How this happened was a 6'8'' monster decided to drop his gloves and went after him. :lol:

Apparently Scott was mad about the Devane/Tropp fight, which seemed right away like an accidental injury to me but I guess Johnny boy disagreed. Doesn't excuse what Kessel did of course.

I'd say give him 2 or 3 games, but anything beyond that is probably over kill. I'd be fine with 1 game if that is what the league decided. If he had swung higher and away from pads than I would look for more. 

I don't see why Scott would deserve a suspension at all.

• Like 1

I'd say give him 2 or 3 games, but anything beyond that is probably over kill. I'd be fine with 1 game if that is what the league decided. If he had swung higher and away from pads than I would look for more. 

I don't see why Scott would deserve a suspension at all.

The penalties he was assessed are the punishment he deserves. Unless the league decides to fine him for starting the brawl I guess...but I doubt it. Suspension is unnecessary.

Scott is going to be our answer for anyone that dare mess with Miller.   And Ott and the Finnish Freight train and Myers who will be getting more of a rough house role.  We will not be pushed around..  

Well that's all fine and dandy, but I still don't get why he went after Kessel unless he was intent on starting a brawl. If so, job well done. 

• Like 1

Scott is going to be our answer for anyone that dare mess with Miller. And Ott and the Finnish Freight train and Myers who will be getting more of a rough house role. We will not be pushed around..

Scott is a punk. Kessel didn't mess with Miller or anyone else. You're proud of your 6'8" tough guy who can barely skate for going after a 5'8" girl? You should be embarrassed after his pansy moves in that game. Go after Devane? Fine... Revenge is acceptable. But Kessel? Come on...

Scott is a punk. Kessel didn't mess with Miller or anyone else. You're proud of your 6'8" tough guy who can barely skate for going after a 5'8" girl? You should be embarrassed after his pansy moves in that game. Go after Devane? Fine... Revenge is acceptable. But Kessel? Come on...

I don't think Scott "went after" Kessel as much as Kessel put himself into the position immediately in front of Scott and engaged him.

Scott didn't jump Kessel from behind. Kessel wasn't an innocent babe just wandering through the woods when a wolf set upon him.

Again, Scott's a talentless goon who does nothing well but fight. What is Kessel trying to prove in that situation?

• Like 1

Nowhere do I see that Kessel yapped to Scott..............

Scott was the one that engaged Kessel, he even said it himself, he lined up against Kessel and said to him "I guess we are going to have to go eh?"

Please spare me the Kessel yapping crap! Kessel hasn't said 100 words since arriving in Toronto! He is far from the worst yapper in the NHL, Hello half of the Bruins team!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carlysle did exactly what Bowman (who has the last time I looked a hell of a lot of cups) used to do, by putting out a skill player after the goons had done the dirty crap, I think he said yesterday something to the effect of after the Flyers sent out their cementheads and the dust settled he would send out his guy, Lafleur...............so what is the difference?

Edited by Rusty

Scott was the one that engaged Kessel, he even said it himself, he lined up against Kessel and said to him "I guess we are going to have to go eh?"

Please spare me the Kessel yapping crap! Kessel hasn't said 100 words since arriving in Toronto! He is far from the worst yapper in the NHL, Hello half of the Bruins team!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carlysle did exactly what Bowman (who has the last time I looked a hell of a lot of cups) used to do, by putting out a skill player after the goons had done the dirty crap, I think he said yesterday something to the effect of after the Flyers sent out their cementheads and the dust settled he would send out his guy, Lafleur...............so what is the difference?

Who started what with whom is irrelevant. It does not matter if Scott or Kessel or God almighty coming down on a chariot pulled by Howie Morentz and Toe Blake started it. What matters, and why he deserved a suspension is the swinging of the stick repeatedly then finishing up using it as a spear. Would it have occured had Scott not been on the ice? No. That was handled by the league with a fine of the Sabres coach. Scott is a worthless player, using player loosely. Bur Kessel took a bad situation and turned it into abrawl that cost his team the first ten games of David Clarkson in the blue and white by making it much, much worse. He deserved much worse than three meaningless preseason games off. He should have faced some regular season discipline as well. stick play has no place in our beloved game. Fight like a man or step out of the way and let someone else do it for you.

"lined up"? They never "lined up" for the faceoff.

The video exists. It's not something we need to speculate about. They are skating in circles, not "lined up" and Scott is clearly jawing away. Kessel circles back to him, is clearly saying something back and raises his arm towards Scott, at which point Scott's gloves drop and Kessel immediately is swinging his stick like a coward.

Kessel circles back to him, is clearly saying something back and raises his arm towards Scott

I watched the video also.  Kessel clearly makes the first move.  I can not understand how the NHL fines the Buffalo coach for "player selection" when Scott was already on the ice and Toronto had the last change.

Phil Kessel acted like a complete idiot in last nights game against the Buffalo Sabres.

Remember off the ice this is considered assault...so off the ice it would be legal for him to do whatever to defend himself from an attacker.

So with that said that guy is really huge and would destroy Phil....just ask Thorton.

So he also isn't a fighter so he has to do what he has to do to defend himself...so if a goon wants to pick on a non fighter he has to do better at blocking the stick.

So like in real life when faced with that situation he has to do what he has to do....so hence the equalizer, if ok with it....do i find that it looks like he is a chicken too, yes i agree.

But guys have a right to defend them selves....however that person who feels threaten see fit.

But guys have a right to defend them selves....however that person who feels threaten see fit.

I think it was really big of him to "defend himself" by slashing the BACK of Scott's legs WHILE Scott was in a fight with another player.

Kessel acted like an idiot. No need to provide excuses for him.

I think it was really big of him to "defend himself" by slashing the BACK of Scott's legs WHILE Scott was in a fight with another player.

Kessel acted like an idiot. No need to provide excuses for him.

No defending it.....just understand it, like i said on the streets a BIG dude comes up to fight someone who isn't a fighter that person has a right to defend himself.

Just because Kessel is yapping at him shouldn't just give him the right to pound him but he did so Kessel was just using an equalizer and he didn't swing it at his head so it was damn near harmless.

So Scott's a big kid let him deal with that if he wants to pick on a non fighter.

Hey if Scott is allowed to go against the so called unwritten rule i guess so can Kessel.

If you're the BIG kid picking on the smaller kid don't cry when the smaller kid does what he see fit to defend himself.

It comes with the territory.

Edited by OccamsRazor

No defending it.....just understand it, like i said on the streets a BIG dude comes up to fight someone who isn't a fighter that person has a right to defend himself.

Just because Kessel is yapping at him shouldn't just give him the right to pound him but he did so Kessel was just using an equalizer and he didn't swing it at his head so it was damn near harmless.

So Scott's a big kid let him deal with that if he wants to pick on a non fighter.

Hey if Scott is allowed to go against the so called unwritten rule i guess so can Kessel.

If you're the BIG kid picking on the smaller kid don't cry when the smaller kid does what he see fit to defend himself.

It comes with the territory.

I have no problem/issue (on a "defending myself" level) with Kessel swinging his stick to keep Scott away from him.

It's when Kessel, having gotten away, comes back and hacks Scott in the back of the legs from behind while Scott is engaged in a fight with another player that he crosses the Big Red Line.

Check the video - it's a disgrace.

Who started what with whom is irrelevant. It does not matter if Scott or Kessel or God almighty coming down on a chariot pulled by Howie Morentz and Toe Blake started it. What matters, and why he deserved a suspension is the swinging of the stick repeatedly then finishing up using it as a spear. Would it have occured had Scott not been on the ice? No. That was handled by the league with a fine of the Sabres coach. Scott is a worthless player, using player loosely. Bur Kessel took a bad situation and turned it into abrawl that cost his team the first ten games of David Clarkson in the blue and white by making it much, much worse. He deserved much worse than three meaningless preseason games off. He should have faced some regular season discipline as well. stick play has no place in our beloved game. Fight like a man or step out of the way and let someone else do it for you.

While I agree with most of this, I don't agree with the part about Kessel turning the situation into a brawl. Regardless of Kessel's actions there, the second Scott drops the gloves and moves towards Kessel a brawl is bound to follow - as evidenced by the entire Leaf team (including Clarkson's "heroic" venture from the bench) swarming Scott. If Kessel had soiled himself and fainted or simply skated away like the owned the place, I don't think a brawl would have been avoided.

Edited by Commander Clueless