Should Kessel be suspended?

yave1964

It's when Kessel, having gotten away, comes back and hacks Scott in the back of the legs from behind while Scott is engaged in a fight with another player that he crosses the Big Red Line.

Check the video - it's a disgrace.

OK.

I didn't see that must have missed it, that is some punk schitt there, and i won't condone punk crap like that it's like hitting a guy that is restrained, punk cheap stuff that has no place in the game.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

While I agree with most of this, I don't agree with the part about Kessel turning the situation into a brawl. Regardless of Kessel's actions there, the second Scott drops the gloves and moves towards Kessel a brawl is bound to follow - as evidenced by the entire Leaf team (including Clarkson's "heroic" venture from the bench) swarming Scott. If Kessel had soiled himself and fainted or simply skated away like the owned the place, I don't think a brawl would have been avoided.

no, if Kessel had dropped the gloves instead of playing Paul Bunyon he would have made it a one on one fight, as nobody wants to be the third man in. by skating in and out hacking and slashing like a moron he provoked the brawl. And I like Kessel. I cringed over that last player picked thing in the all star game thing a few years ago, I was rooting for him to exercise his Boston Bruin demons last season, and damn near took him in the fantasy hockey league from this forum this year. Hate his haircut,but hey, that is nothing he cannot cover up with a helmet.

Barked at Scott, shoulda took it like a man and let the code settle some karma back on Scott, instead he caused Clarkson to miss ten games for HIS stupidity.

no, if Kessel had dropped the gloves instead of playing Paul Bunyon he would have made it a one on one fight, as nobody wants to be the third man in. by skating in and out hacking and slashing like a moron he provoked the brawl. And I like Kessel. I cringed over that last player picked thing in the all star game thing a few years ago, I was rooting for him to exercise his Boston Bruin demons last season, and damn near took him in the fantasy hockey league from this forum this year. Hate his haircut,but hey, that is nothing he cannot cover up with a helmet.

Barked at Scott, shoulda took it like a man and let the code settle some karma back on Scott, instead he caused Clarkson to miss ten games for HIS stupidity.

Phil Kessel should by no means be expected to fight John Scott. Ever.

Regardless of Phil's (stupid) reaction, I honestly doubt a brawl would have been avoided.  Any time an "enforcer" goes after a "star player" and non-fighter like that, I expect the rest of the team to respond regardless of what team it is. I wouldn't expect a Pavel Datsyuk or a Claude Giroux type to fight a John Scott type either (would expect them to react better than Kessel did though) and would expect a similar reaction from the rest of their respective teams (minus silly Clarkson of course). 

Is there any word on a Kessel suspension, I notice the Flyers and Leafs play in the second game of the season, would be a nice added bonus to have Phil the Thrill out of the Leafs lineup that night.

They gave him three meaningless preseason games off. Really.

@yave1964

I disagree with the idea that Kessel should have fought to defend himself. Some players careers are ended by one sided fights and this would have been one of them.

I agree Kessel was a douchebag for slashing Scott while he was engaged with other guys, but have no problem with the initial reaction.

As for @Hockey Junkie thinking Kessel is a "marked man"... I think the Leafs will be the ones headhunting Scott, not the other way around. I know I would be.

• Like 1

@yave1964

I disagree with the idea that Kessel should have fought to defend himself. Some players careers are ended by one sided fights and this would have been one of them.

I agree Kessel was a douchebag for slashing Scott while he was engaged with other guys, but have no problem with the initial reaction.

As for @Hockey Junkie thinking Kessel is a "marked man"... I think the Leafs will be the ones headhunting Scott, not the other way around. I know I would be.

"Headhunting" a 6'8" goon? Good luck with that.

Again, no problem with him trying to keep Scott away from him.

Shanahan should be ashamed of himself for no actual meaningful suspension for deliberately slashing the back of the legs of a player fighting another player.

The League is a joke.

Shanahan should be ashamed of himself for no actual meaningful suspension for deliberately slashing the back of the legs of a player fighting another player.

The League is a joke.

There are more ways to headhunt than fighting. If I were Scott I'd have my head on a swivel more than usual.

As for the discipline side, no injury to Scott, no real intent to injure by Kessel. Even the spear looked half-effort. I think Shanahan feels Scott got what he deserved initially for going after a skill guy, and the suspension is for the wacks while he was tied up. In all honesty I think the discipline was plenty appropriate. Kessel was punished three games, and he sells tickets, not a loser like Scott.

There are more ways to headhunt than fighting. If I were Scott I'd have my head on a swivel more than usual.

As for the discipline side, no injury to Scott, no real intent to injure by Kessel. Even the spear looked half-effort. I think Shanahan feels Scott got what he deserved initially for going after a skill guy, and the suspension is for the wacks while he was tied up. In all honesty I think the discipline was plenty appropriate. Kessel was punished three games, and he sells tickets, not a loser like Scott.

"Three games"??? The Flyers didn't play half of their starters last night in a preseason game. There is no indication that Tronno intended to play Kessel in the "three" games he is "suspended" for.

Hacking the legs of a player from behind deserves much more than a simple slap on the wrist - injury or not.

Are you seriously saying that since Kessel didn't manage to break a leg or collapse a knee that it doesn't deserve, effectively, any punishment?

The League is a joke.

Nothing new there. This was their way of being able to suspend a star player without really suspending him.

JR

"Three games"??? The Flyers didn't play half of their starters last night in a preseason game. There is no indication that Tronno intended to play Kessel in the "three" games he is "suspended" for.

Hacking the legs of a player from behind deserves much more than a simple slap on the wrist - injury or not.

Are you seriously saying that since Kessel didn't manage to break a leg or collapse a knee that it doesn't deserve, effectively, any punishment?

My understanding of suspensions is that their purpose is to discipline for grievous misconduct. Kessel's slashes as I remember them weren't particularly dangerous in either effort or targeting. Do I think they're chickenshit? Yes.. Do I think there was an intent to injure? No. Players wack each other with sticks in scrubs all the time without even a minor penalty for it. He's sitting three games, albeit preseason, for trying to give someone an ouchie. I just didn't see it as vicious or particularly malicious.

Lets face it... If players got suspended for chickenshit antics, half the league would be in the disciplinary system.

My understanding of suspensions is that their purpose is to discipline for grievous misconduct. Kessel's slashes as I remember them weren't particularly dangerous in either effort or targeting. Do I think they're chickenshit? Yes.. Do I think there was an intent to injure? No. Players wack each other with sticks in scrubs all the time without even a minor penalty for it. He's sitting three games, albeit preseason, for trying to give someone an ouchie. I just didn't see it as vicious or particularly malicious.

Lets face it... If players got suspended for chickenshit antics, half the league would be in the disciplinary system.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/23791632/video-david-clarkson-leaves-bench-in-wild-maple-leafssabres-line-brawl

1:36 - Kessel, having skated up to Scott, then turns back to skate towards Scott. puts his stick in Scott's legs and then raises his arm towards Scott. I can go with "antics" here.

But go ahead and stop the video at 1:44 with Kessel's stick, two hands in the air like a golf club. Scott, with two players on him and the official not even looking at Kessel. Kessel swings his stick into Scott's legs from behind.

not "vicious or particularly malicious"? "antics"? really? c'mon now...

Shanahan should be ashamed of himself.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/23791632/video-david-clarkson-leaves-bench-in-wild-maple-leafssabres-line-brawl

1:36 - Kessel, having skated up to Scott, then turns back to skate towards Scott. puts his stick in Scott's legs and then raises his arm towards Scott. I can go with "antics" here.

But go ahead and stop the video at 1:44 with Kessel's stick, two hands in the air like a golf club. Scott, with two players on him and the official not even looking at Kessel. Kessel swings his stick into Scott's legs from behind.

not "vicious or particularly malicious"? "antics"? really? c'mon now...

Shanahan should be ashamed of himself.

I don't even think the second wack hits above the skate blade is why I don't see it as malicious. Looks to hit right along the ice. I just don't see it as some major blow. Hell we've seen flying elbows to the face result in one or two games.

I think they're inconsistent in discipline. I rarely agree with Shanahan. I just don't think 3 games preseason or otherwise is that out of line.

I don't even think the second wack hits above the skate blade is why I don't see it as malicious. Looks to hit right along the ice. I just don't see it as some major blow. Hell we've seen flying elbows to the face result in one or two games.

I think they're inconsistent in discipline. I rarely agree with Shanahan. I just don't think 3 games preseason or otherwise is that out of line.

I wouldn't have a problem with three regular season games. Three games in which he was never guaranteed to play in the first place?

Nonsense.

Just for the record, when Kessel brought his stick up like a golf club and then swung it down on the back of the legs of another player, what do you think his "intent" was?

Or are we just happy that Kessel's apparently an awful golfer?

You are right and Polaris is dead wrong here.  Three games that are meaningless is not punishment.  He should have gotten three regular season games.   Shanahan is a prick.  Wait until he screws your team like he has ours countless times.  Remember what they did to Miller up in Boston?  And he got Myers and went overboard IMO.  Wait until those Leafs come to Buffalo.  What a night that will be.  I do not know if Rolston has any of Lindy Ruff's type of vengeance in him?  We shall see.  I think this fine has to piss Rolston off and welcome to Shanahan's world.  Well, on hockey, we shut out the Blue Jackets the other night and I believe Miller was a part of it.  We need Miller to be on his game.  I think Enroth started.  I expect Colombus to be competitive.  If they play like they did at the end of last season?    Go Sabres!!!!

Well I agree that Kessel should have gotten regular season games because preseason game suspensions are pretty meaningless. Obviously Shanahan didn't believe the incident worthy of a true punishment. That said, I don't think Rolston should be that upset considering it was his guy that brought the fine down on him, not Kessel or the Leafs. If he's going to be mad at anyone, he should be mad at the league. I'm predicting the first game between Buffalo and Toronto to be par for the course myself, but I've been wrong before. Maybe a scrap or two between Scott and the Leafs' goonies - especially if Devane is still playing.

Also, I'm not sure what Buffalo's team strength has to do with the Kessel suspension, but I'll agree Miller has to be huge for them if they want to do any damage this year.

I feel like I'm being surrounded on my own team's board. Where are my reinforcements!? ;)

Edited by Commander Clueless
  • Like 1

In my opinion he got the three preseason games, a minor slap on the wrist, but in my opinion it's all he deserved. Scott needs to learn to pick his battles, you would think a fighter like him would know "the code" you don't go after a teams star, at least in that fashion. In fact I hate how in an interview he Scott said, "if they went after our star id be pissed ".. Moron!

Sure, Kessel's slash was vicious and though I usually live with the ideal that "two wrongs don't make a right" in this case, if Scott doesn't jump him, Kessel doesn't wack him and no harm done.

Finally, I think Scott was jealous Kessel had more goals in the game then he has gotten playing his entire 180 game career . (1 goal, 4 assists)

• Like 1

@Hockey Junkie I agree Kessel should have gotten some regular season time. Everyone rips on Shanny, that has to be the toughest job in the game.

Sabres and Leafs, home and home November 15th and 16th. Lots of games to play before then and it may blow over by then but Clarkson will be back by then, really, REALLY looking forward to it. I will be glued to the television both nights hollering at the television giddily. I love a good nasty rivalry.