Leino out already. Indefinate return.

Guest Hockey Junkie

I honestly do not remember seeing him within ten feet of the puck.

Me too.  I'm not a very good witness, because I was watching for different players.  But,  Leino wasn't part of any action that I saw.

Me too.  I'm not a very good witness, because I was watching for different players.  But,  Leino wasn't part of any action that I saw.

[/quote Great goal by your boy last night though. With Leino out he should get more quality minutes.

Edited by yave1964

HockeyJunkie,

As many times as you've been right and I've been wrong, I have to take this one time to remind you I told you so on Leino.  I agree with brelic that the signing was horrible but the constant injuries are just bad luck.  Kind of adding injury to insult (to reverse the cliche).  It's really kind of a shame the front office didn't just use one of their amnesty's on him.  I think they might have been able to use that money in vastly more productive ways.

It's really kind of a shame for Buffalo.  If he's out long term and the Sabres can IR him, then maybe Yave is right and it's addition by subtraction and you'll be better off.

Wow. Is it a hip problem again? Buffalo kinda got screwed on that signing. It's one thing that he got paid way more than he deserves, but to be injured so often is just bad luck.

Broken rib this time.

What happened with Leino?

I know he basically had one good run with Philly, but man, he was impressive in that run. Strong on the puck, very patient too. Seemed to be in the right place often. Had great chemistry with Briere and Hartnell.

Was it just a fluke?

HockeyJunkie,

As many times as you've been right and I've been wrong, I have to take this one time to remind you I told you so on Leino.  I agree with brelic that the signing was horrible but the constant injuries are just bad luck.  Kind of adding injury to insult (to reverse the cliche).  It's really kind of a shame the front office didn't just use one of their amnesty's on him.  I think they might have been able to use that money in vastly more productive ways.

It's really kind of a shame for Buffalo.  If he's out long term and the Sabres can IR him, then maybe Yave is right and it's addition by subtraction and you'll be better off.

I think they only used on compliance buyout so far, so they may have another.

Leino would be first in my line for that.

Ouch. I forgot that Darcy Reiger signed him to that long of a contract, Ha! another fine job by Darcy!

Leino had that 21 points in 19 games playoff in 09-10, but wasn't really a slouch in 10-11 (19 goals, 53 points).

That's about Drew Stafford's production (20/50 in 11-12), and he's making $4M.

The problem is that Buffalo signed a second line wing and initially tried to make him their first line center. When that didn't work out, he got thrown into Ruff's doghouse and then, with the injuries, hasn't gotten back out.

Leino had that 21 points in 19 games playoff in 09-10, but wasn't really a slouch in 10-11 (19 goals, 53 points).

That's about Drew Stafford's production (20/50 in 11-12), and he's making $4M.

The problem is that Buffalo signed a second line wing and initially tried to make him their first line center. When that didn't work out, he got thrown into Ruff's doghouse and then, with the injuries, hasn't gotten back out.

I think all of that is reasonable.   I would just like to add, though, that I personally think he makes a lousy 2nd line wing.   It's hard to say with any certainty, though, given that what you said is absolutely true.

I think all of that is reasonable.   I would just like to add, though, that I personally think he makes a lousy 2nd line wing.   It's hard to say with any certainty, though, given that what you said is absolutely true.

As we've discussed in other threads - $4M is about the going rate for a 20/50 guy.

In a coupla years, Leino's contract may be in line with production - if he's given that shot and played correctly. With longer term contracts you're essentially banking on overpaying slightly at the beginning to have a comparatively "value" number at the other end.

But he is the prototypical third wheel on a line. When you have a Briere playing at top form and a Hartnell playing at likely his best ever, there is room for Leino and he can get lost as teams are covering the "skill" players. I hesitate to say it, but their "Mikael Renberg" if you will. Buffalo doesn't have that depth of talent at the moment, but he could certainly take Stafford's place after this season and benefit from the space created by Hodgson and Vanek (if he's still there).

That's also a reflection of what Stafford brings to the table, of course...

First line center!?!? Bananacrackers.

This is Karma for a player in his rookie year wanted 4mil+ when he had a very good playoff run and now he's getting injured beyond belief. I liked him when he played in Philly and when I found out how much he wanted I was happy the Flyers let him walk. Buffalo overpaid for him. It's a shame. He's the type of player who had a lot of potential and skill and a style that no one knew, but once they figured him out, he never got the change to change his style because he's constantly injured. Oh well. I hope he saves his money. He won't see a contract like that again.

• Like 1