ok..0-3 to start season...now what?

Guest pilldoc

Now we're starting to say some thing we can agree with.

Look, 3 games in is ridiculous.   I'll take it because it needs to be done, but IT NEEDED TO BE DONE IN THE OFFSEASON instead of Holmgren tripping his way through a dark room in a drunken stupor with no plan and completely flushing another season by giving his coach a three-game leash.

you're right and I agree with you (see how that works? lol) This is beyond stupid this is Homer covering his ass, or trying to by saying to his boss "Look Ed I'm doing all I can." Whether Big Ed buys that line of crap we'll see...

Personally I don't have much of a problem with any of the players on the team. I'm not a Mark Streit fan as I said and Jay Rosehill serves little purpose imho. Newberry makes about as much sense as Rosehill. But okay whatever, they're all NHL-caliber and a good coach SHOULD be able to produce a winning season with this lineup.

Personally I don't have much of a problem with any of the players on the team.

That's the thing, canoli.

If I go down the roster player by player, I can't really yell about any specific player.  I think I would retort "under performing" for nearly every one, but the name and the expectation associated with that *should be good.*

Maybe it's simply coaching.   Maybe it's a collection of good pieces that simply don't work together for whatever reason.

I guess we're about to find out whether it's coaching, but I would have preferred a new coach be able to work with the team during training camp and preseason instead of firing the coach three games in.

Again, I think the coach should go.  I also think the GM should go.   And now is better than later, IMO, but before would have been better than now.

• Like 1

@ Maine... you called it no doubt.   I think Rux is in our camp on this one and was just busting my nards...

Yeah, the "new here" was simply regarding your dismay that simply acknowledging problems is labelled as "panic."   That's the way it works on these boards (pluralized to include silly.com history).

It clearly wasn't to disagree with your point or your position as I have way too many "smarmy" 6000 posts a day clearly stating we're in agreement (and with Maine, too)

Yip.  Just like the Phils, the real problem is above.

Oh, and way over-rated players playing below even what a realist should expect.

I agree and disagree. The old man has got to go. I know he is never going to willingly step down, I'm just saying that it would be for the best if he did go. He's the NHL equivalent of Al Davis or Daniel Snyder. I got good money that says this wasn't even Homer's call. There's other stuff you can pin on him during his tenure, but this move reeks of the old man's doing. Even if Homer ends up getting canned as well, nothing is going to change as long as Uncle Eddie is still around. That's not to say Homer or Clarke never made a mistake, but when you got him demanding a cup every single season, that's no way to run a team.

But when it comes down to it, players are the ones who play. They don't show up, that ain't the coach, GM, or owner's fault. I know it's only 3 games and that's way to early to form any definitive opinion, but in it's all we have to judge on right now, and based on that there's plenty of guys who have shown nothing this year. Vorack, Coots, and Giroux are a few that come to mind.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

But when it comes down to it, players are the ones who play. They don't show up, that ain't the coach, GM, or owner's fault. I know it's only 3 games and that's way to early to form any definitive opinion, but in it's all we have to judge on right now, and based on that there's plenty of guys who have shown nothing this year. Vorack, Coots, and Giroux are a few that come to mind.

Agreed.

I know he's only 20, but Christ, can Couturier show something? I'm not worried about Voracek or Giroux right now, but I think Couturier concerns me.

I like Couts.   I like Talbot.   I don't like them on the same line.  

I know your stance that it's on the players.  I agree with that.  But when the coach puts the place kicker at tight end and the middle linebacker at quarterback, etc., it does hamstring the players.

I don't know what to expect from Berube, but I can't say I have very high expectations.    

I just think the players are being put in positions that make the job difficult and they're not being men enough to try.

The old man has got to go. I know he is never going to willingly step down, I'm just saying that it would be for the best if he did go. He's the NHL equivalent of Al Davis or Daniel Snyder. I got good money that says this wasn't even Homer's call. There's other stuff you can pin on him during his tenure, but this move reeks of the old man's doing. Even if Homer ends up getting canned as well, nothing is going to change as long as Uncle Eddie is still around. That's not to say Homer or Clarke never made a mistake, but when you got him demanding a cup every single season, that's no way to run a team.

Totally agree.  I've been saying this for years now.  The Old Man is the sole reason why this team is such a friggin' disfunctional family.  Frankly, the team is turning into a laughinstock at this point and this guy seats there and says, "We know what we are doing".  I wanted to SCREAM when I heard him say that. 

The Briere, Bryzgalov, Streit and LeCavalier were Ed's moves.  How is that working out so far?

• Like 1

Hi guys, been away a while, did I miss anything?? :ph34r:

No sense retreading everthing that's already been said, so when does Hexy get his shot at GM? He *was* brought in here to replace Homer sooner or later...wasn't he?

FIRE HOMER NOW!!!!

• Like 1

Hi guys, been away a while, did I miss anything?? :ph34r:

No sense retreading everthing that's already been said, so when does Hexy get his shot at GM? He *was* brought in here to replace Homer sooner or later...wasn't he?

FIRE HOMER NOW!!!!

Love Hextall but being GM is a wrong move, just another ex-Flyer Snider can push around. Need somebody who hasn't been with the organization that will stand up to Snider 

Love Hextall but being GM is a wrong move, just another ex-Flyer Snider can push around. Need somebody who hasn't been with the organization that will stand up to Snider 

I don't disagree, nepotism is why we're where we are at this point. Years and years of it.

But I do wonder if Hexy isn't the guy from inside that will stand up and call it like it is, or at least do it more than his predecessors. At any rate Homer's time has long since come and gone

I like Couts.   I like Talbot.   I don't like them on the same line.  

I know your stance that it's on the players.  I agree with that.  But when the coach puts the place kicker at tight end and the middle linebacker at quarterback, etc., it does hamstring the players.

I don't know what to expect from Berube, but I can't say I have very high expectations.    

I just think the players are being put in positions that make the job difficult and they're not being men enough to try.

Couturier (I hate his nickname and refuse to use it) scares me. Like I said, I know he is very young, but I don't see much from him at all.

My first reaction to Berube being named coach is to laugh.

• Like 1

Totally agree.  I've been saying this for years now.  The Old Man is the sole reason why this team is such a friggin' disfunctional family.  Frankly, the team is turning into a laughinstock at this point and this guy seats there and says, "We know what we are doing".  I wanted to SCREAM when I heard him say that. 

The Briere, Bryzgalov, Streit and LeCavalier were Ed's moves.  How is that working out so far?

I don't think he's the sole reason. I think he's a big one and probably the biggest, but not the sole reason.

I think Richards and Carter were a couple of world class mental midgets and the team did everything it could to accommodate them. It surrounded them with a bunch of young players, when they became a distraction, they got rid of them. When they needed veteran help, the team went out and got Timonen and then Pronger. They bickered with them and cried to the media that they were mean to them. I think Hitchcock was a problem as well. He refused to play Sharp and Williams, relegating them to no man's land, forcing the team to trade them. I think Homer spends too much money on contracts and doesn't know how not to.

The biggest reason for the team's problems? Sure, but the only one? No way.

At this point, that's really not a horrible idea.

I'd be looking at sliding up Rinaldo also, at least he plays like he cares. Will not score a bunch, but I love the idea of him being on the ice more to pound opponents into submission.

I'd be looking at sliding up Rinaldo also, at least he plays like he cares. Will not score a bunch, but I love the idea of him being on the ice more to pound opponents into submission.

First line of Rinaldo, Rosehill, and Newberry.