Poll: Should the Spin-o-rama Move Be Allowed?

goalnut3133

Spin-o-rama move   

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should the spin-o-rama move be allowed in shootouts?

On Saturday night's game between the Ottawa Senators and Toronto Maple Leafs, Mason Raymond scored the game-winning shoot-out goal by using the spin-o-rama move on Sens' goalie Craig Anderson. Sens' coach Paul MacLean took issue with this move, believing it should not be allowed in the shoot-outs, specifically because players tend to create the 'snow-shower effect' on goaltenders, thus making it an unfair advantage for the shooter. And this is exactly what happened on Sat. night.

He does have a valid point: if you snow-shower a goalie during a game, you can get an 'unsportsmanlike conduct penalty', so why is this allowed in the shootout, particularly when it may mean a win or loss for a team?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2013/10/30-thoughts-controversial-spin-o-rama-move-in-spotlight.html

The only thing that can stop a bad guy in a shootout is a good guy in a shootout.

(I don't think the spin-o-rama should be allowed in a shootout., But then again, I don't think the shootout should be allowed)

• Like 1

Although the puck might stay in motion during a spinorama, imo, it doesn't stay in forward motion.  I was surprised the league didn't remove the spinorama move during the offseason as it was discussed.

And you are right, he shouldn't be allowed to snowshower a goalie in the crease.

• Like 1

Snow showering was always unsportsmanlike conduct. I don't care how many times you've been sprayed, you never quite get used to it.

I, for one don't hate the shoot out, and I have had several people tell me how much they like the shoot out. But the spin-o-rama should be banned in the shoot out, period.

• Like 1

Really?  That's the excuse now?  A little snow shower?  I thought this was hockey not ping pong.  My Lord... how many excuses can we make?  As long as the puck continues a forward motion, tough **** goalie... deal with it.  It's allowed in the game.  What's next?  I really don't like it when the player shoots the puck?  I don't like it when the player tries to trick me?  Deking should be illegal?  Get over it Mr. Walrus.

While I don't quite agree with snow showers being unsportsmanlike conduct, it is in game rules. Why shouldn't it be in a shoot out? Consistency is what i ask.

Spin-o-rama usually ends up with some lack of forward motion.

I drew many penalties with a snow shower, myself. Usually those resulted in a minor served by a defenseman and a goalie (by someone else), as i would draw two roughing minors. but that was long before the banning of snow showers.

I think there's a difference between making a move and intentionally snowing the goalie.  The penalty comes with intent, not incident.  When is the last time you saw a penalty for it during a hard charging play where the player is stopping to avoid collision?? 

I think there's a difference between making a move and intentionally snowing the goalie. The penalty comes with intent, not incident. When is the last time you saw a penalty for it during a hard charging play where the player is stopping to avoid collision??

True dat, but the spin-o-rama could be construed as unsportsmanlike, which brings me to this:

Just one more thing the NHL higher ups will suddenly change. This game is starting to look more like golf than hockey...What's next? Fans aren't allowed to cheer?

Word.

The shootout shouldn't even be in the game in the first place...

From a tradition standpoint, I agree. But I don't hate the shoot out. Just me, I s'pose.

Edited by bunnyman

No, it probably shouldn't be allowed. Just like you shouldn't be able to skate up to the goalie, stop, deke, and then shoot. It should probably be a continuous motion with the player's legs and puck.

But I think we're forgetting the real enemy here - the Ottawa Senators. Screw those guys.

Also, this whole thing is somehow Daniel Alfredsson's fault.

/end spite

• Like 1

A spin-o-rama is motion... and as long as the puck continues to move forward, leave it alone.  How much do we really want to micromanage the game?  

A good point, although I do think the player should have to keep moving and the spin-o-rama represents the player coming to a stop, if not the puck.

However, this is within the rules and stands as a good shootout goal....and I'm not complaining about that. It's just my 2 cents.

/end spite

Actually I blame Lindros.

Sorry for stealing your line @Podein25, but somebody had to say it.

And for the love of God no No NO freaking spinorama on shootouts. If somebody tried that **** in the 80's on a penalty shot, the goalie AND the ref would have kicked his ass.

No, it probably shouldn't be allowed. Just like you shouldn't be able to skate up to the goalie, stop, deke, and then shoot. It should probably be a continuous motion with the player's legs and puck.

But I think we're forgetting the real enemy here - the Ottawa Senators. Screw those guys.

/end spite

LFMAO

Really?  That's the excuse now?  A little snow shower?  I thought this was hockey not ping pong.  My Lord... how many excuses can we make?  As long as the puck continues a forward motion, tough **** goalie... deal with it.  It's allowed in the game.  What's next?  I really don't like it when the player shoots the puck?  I don't like it when the player tries to trick me?  Deking should be illegal?  Get over it Mr. Walrus.

I think they should take down the nets and have everyone put on disney costumes and just skate around for a couple hours.  No one gets their feelings hurt; no one suffers a concussion; and Hartnell can fall as much as he wants and we'll all think that's what Goofy is supposed to do.

• Like 2

I think they should take down the nets and have everyone put on disney costumes and just skate around for a couple hours.  No one gets their feelings hurt; no one suffers a concussion; and Hartnell can fall as much as he wants and we'll all think that's what Goofy is supposed to do.

They should just have a full speed headbutting contest, big horn style. First team to inflict a concussion gets the extra point. Tucking in your jersey or removing your helmet gets you an automatic suspension.

Spin-o-rama headbutts are totally legal.

Wow, so far this poll is 80-20 split! I was actually expecting it more halfway down the line for this forum...I thought others would want to keep the spin-o-rama in the game. To me, whenever I see a player come to that sudden halt, spin & then shoot, I feel a let down on the inside, like it was more of a trick shot, not based on using the deke & shoot skills you normally see during a game. If it's a 'skills competition', then yah, have at it!  But when we're talking game wins/losses, & points, I think it should be taken more seriously, not just for the sake of fun & entertainment. If that's the case, why not unicycle up to the goalie & knock the puck in with a polo stick, wearing a clown wig? Surely, that's not against the rules, is it? The player is in motion, AND the puck is in motion in that case.  :P

• Like 1

Wow, so far this poll is 80-20 split! I was actually expecting it more halfway down the line for this forum...I thought others would want to keep the spin-o-rama in the game. To me, whenever I see a player come to that sudden halt, spin & then shoot, I feel a let down on the inside, like it was more of a trick shot, not based on using the deke & shoot skills you normally see during a game. If it's a 'skills competition', then yah, have at it!  But when we're talking game wins/losses, & points, I think it should be taken more seriously, not just for the sake of fun & entertainment. If that's the case, why not unicycle up to the goalie & knock the puck in with a polo stick, wearing a clown wig? Surely, that's not against the rules, is it? The player is in motion, AND the puck is in motion in that case.  :P

Now you're just being silly.

As long as the puck is moving forward, who cares? And frankly adding extra moves makes it a low percentage chance anyway, it is a fluky cute all star game move, regular season the ones who should be mad are the coaches of the teams that try it. It is not a cute little move in an exhibition game, it is for a point in the standings and more often than not the player does not make it with this move.

I think they should take down the nets and have everyone put on disney costumes and just skate around for a couple hours. No one gets their feelings hurt; no one suffers a concussion; and Hartnell can fall as much as he wants and we'll all think that's what Goofy is supposed to do.

I'm game ! I have a Jasmine princess costume I can wear... Umm.. Err... I mean I know this guy who has a costume...

• Like 1