POLL: Shootouts- In or Out?

goalnut3133

Shootouts  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should we get rid of the shootout?

Ok, time to revisit this age-old controversy. Some want a final decision in a game, despite the shootout seeming more like a 'skills competition' than a real deciding factor. Others prefer no shootouts, keep it to overtime, and if there's no winner, just leave it as a 'tie' already. Now with Teenage Mutant Ninja Hertl on the rise, maybe some have changed their minds, and want to see more of these flashy and entertaining goals in this perfect showcase: the shootout.  

What say you? Keep the shootout in, or boot the shootout out? Is there a different system you want in place instead?

For me, I'd prefer 10 mins of overtime, 4 on 4. If no game winner, declare it a tie. Each team receiving a point.

Get rid of it. (and no not because the Flyers suck at them) It is the NHL's version of the ice capades.  We don't have them in the playoffs and they should not be in the regular season.  Hated when they introduced it and still hate it today.

Love your idea 4 on 4 for 10 min.  If no score...then call it a day.

or

5 on 5 for 5 min...if no score then 4 on 4 for 5 more mins.  If still no score then a tie.

• Like 1

I think 4 on 4 for 5 minutes is enough.

if the teams are still deadlocked, call it a tie. 

in hockey a tie can be a just result.

I hate the shootout.

save it for the all star weekend , so it becomes special and fun.

I hate when world cup games are decided by pk's as well.  

@pilldoc  Exactly, we don't have it in the playoffs & I find O/T much more satisfying.

save it for the all star weekend , so it becomes special and fun.

Yes, it would make it all the more special that way. Although I find 5 mins of O/T, as they have now before the shootout, just goes by too fast...thus I prefer the 10 mins.

Shootouts are necessary to end games in a timely fashion for Television.  That need will not change. 

Ties suck.  Teams play to just earn a point and call it a game.

Fans cheer at games for goals, fights and shootouts. 

It is used at all other levels of hockey including the NCAA now.  The shootout isn't going anywhere, imo

http://thehockeywriters.com/nchc-hockey-und-hockey-players-love-shootout-option/

The shoot out is blasphemy, get it out and never let it back in. Just another reason to hate Gary and his basketball line of thinking!!

Never thought I'd type this decades ago, but I MISS TIES. It was a decent outcome. At least the team was involved. Not this glory hounding individualistic charade called the shoot out. God I HATE what our game has evolved into!!!

• Like 1

Sorry hf but on this I couldn't disagree with you more.

Shootouts are necessary to end games in a timely fashion for Television.  That need will not change. 

Horsecrap! They play OT now, don't they? Just play 5 minutes of OT and if it is a tie then so be it!

Ties suck.  Teams play to just earn a point and call it a game.

That is their prerogative... and when they miss the playoffs by 1 point then doubtless they will regret it. But I have seen plenty of games where both sides have played well and didn't deserve to lose. The need for a winner and loser is a very North American trait IMO, the rest of the world seems to get along just fine with ties in their sports...

Fans cheer at games for goals, fights and shootouts.

While they may cheer during shootouts, I don't see fans cheering because there is a shootout. That is my experience anyway, YMMV.

The shootout isn't going anywhere, imo

Sadly, I fear you are correct on this.

• Like 1

The shoot out is blasphemy, get it out and never let it back in. Just another reason to hate Gary and his basketball line of thinking!!

Never thought I'd type this decades ago, but I MISS TIES. It was a decent outcome. At least the team was involved. Not this glory hounding individualistic charade called the shoot out. God I HATE what our game has evolved into!!!

+1 on all the above points...

While they may cheer during shootouts, I don't see fans cheering because there is a shootout

Technically, I do think most fans are all ready standing as they anticipate the first shooter being announced.   ;)

For those blaming Bettman..... the shootout was first used in the Olympics in 1992 this is during the time when NHL games could end with a tie.  (I'm not sure if it was ever used before that at any level)

Do take notice of the crowd noise level

Tell this to the NFL & MLB...... ;)

Teams from the NFL play generally once a week. They are not traveling in and out of the country expecting to play in roughly 24hours later.

MLB seriously?.... the exertion level isn't even close.

Also the NFL and MLB do not have to spend time for ice-makes.  The reason why there is now only a 5min OT is because there isn't an  extra icemake.   A 10min OT will require an extra 18mins.

I don't hate the shoot out. I don't want to EVER see it in the play off; however, I dig it kinda. I also understand the tradition of no shoot out. I dunno- make it where the team captain is executed by guillotine after their team loses after a tie. I dunno!?!?

I don't hate the shoot out. I don't want to EVER see it in the play off; however, I dig it kinda. I also understand the tradition of no shoot out. I dunno- make it where the team captain is executed by guillotine after their team loses after a tie. I dunno!?!?

I doubt we will ever see it in the playoffs unless they speed up the schedule with more b2b games.  Frankly, I don't want a shootout in the playoffs it is part of the excitement of a 7 game series.  But if say after 3 or 4 OT full periods I Iwouldn't necessarily be opposed to a rule change.

During the regular season, if 60 minutes end in a tie, then it's a tie.  It's not fair that games are decided in OT by guys who didn't get their job done during regulation, while the third line workers who earned the tie are relegated to sideline watchers.  

In the playoffs, when ties have to be resolved, play OTs until someone scores.  No shootouts, no 4 on 4's, no gimmicks.  Hockey games should be decided by hockey teams.

• Like 2

No shootouts, no 4 on 4's, no gimmicks.  Hockey games should be decided by hockey teams.

I hear what you're saying about the whole team being involved in the O/T, as the whole team didn't win in the 1st place. But reducing the team to 4 on 4 makes sense to me, as it opens up the ice, & increases the chances of scoring...the better skating & passing team then should win (technically speaking).  It also allows the guys more rest time in between shifts.

Teams from the NFL play generally once a week. They are not traveling in and out of the country expecting to play in roughly 24hours later.

MLB seriously?.... the exertion level isn't even close.

Also the NFL and MLB do not have to spend time for ice-makes.  The reason why there is now only a 5min OT is because there isn't an  extra icemake.   A 10min OT will require an extra 18mins.

Actually I was meaning more from the 'keeping within the TV schedule time restraints'...haha   :)

Do take notice of the crowd noise level

Again, I don't think they are cheering because there is a shootout. They aren't going "yay, we have a shootout", more they are cheering for their respective teams and trying to put the other team off.

Secondly, international crowds are usually far more lively than any crowd you will see in the NHL...

During the regular season, if 60 minutes end in a tie, then it's a tie.  It's not fair that games are decided in OT by guys who didn't get their job done during regulation, while the third line workers who earned the tie are relegated to sideline watchers.  

In the playoffs, when ties have to be resolved, play OTs until someone scores.  No shootouts, no 4 on 4's, no gimmicks.  Hockey games should be decided by hockey teams.

Old school, and I like it...!!!