Captainship of the philadelphia flyers

Flyingswede

I cant help being doubtful about Giroux being captain. Yes, maybe he is the best choice on the team as a captain but I Think its tough on him.

I dont think it is just the lack of Jagr on the team wich have make Giroux score less goals. He is stiffer now, not that flow he had. I Think Timonen should have gotten the C and let Giroux just focus on scoring goals. Now it would be stupid to strip him of the C obviously so we can only hope he grows into the captainship.  

As I see it Lindros was great leader and captain.  Desjardins was not, thou a great defensman at the time. Primeau was also a great captain even thou he was not the most talanted player on the team. Pronger too. We need captains who is captains for their natural leadership. I Think this organisation must stop giving the C to the most talanted.

• Like 1

Most on here argued against Roo getting the "C".  Last year it should have been either Timmo or Briere.  I don't know why the rush.  I someone on here pointed out to the Crosby's of the world, but no where is it written that the best player of your team must wear the "C".  Last year I think we can all agree it really burdened on Roo.  Just let him play and not always be worrying about the locker room.  Personally while Timmo is still here, somehow gracifully get Roo out of it and give it to Timmo.  Or maybe a Talbut, Simmer, or Hartnell.  (just thinking out loud here).  Just my opinion which dosen't necessarily mean it is right.

I would like to see the assistants step up more and relieve some of the pressure on "G".  Whether real or imagined, it is affecting his game and though I don't necessarily think that striping him of the "C" is the right answer, behind closed doors allow him to just play his game and spread some of the burden to the assistants and other 'lockerroom guys'. 

For the good of the team, I would think they would want to say, hey "G" don't worry about that, I've got it covered, etc...

Agree. I think we really need a Lappy or a Primeau on the ice... I see a sloppy team not a un-talent team. Its just sloppy and we need a guy leading by example and with a warrior attitude. 

where's the "talent"? where?

please don't say, Read, or either Schenn, or Couturier, or Hartnell; those guys are simply over-rated. then, there's the d.......

when hall and rinaldo are your best players it's hard to say your team is "talented." 

When Pronger was out in 12, G stepped up and he was a natural leader. He shined and fans praised him and rooted for him to be the next Captain. "I want that first shift" and everyone was all about him. Then he goes 48 pts in 48 games, in a season where everyone was horrible and he got a lot of riff raff for poor performance. People need to be patient. 

• Like 1

I thought so last year, and still think that Talbot should have been named Captain. He brings his A game every night, been around for awhile, and I am certain he is respected by his team. Oh, and he has a Cup ring he can show off.

where's the "talent"? where?

please don't say, Read, or either Schenn, or Couturier, or Hartnell; those guys are simply over-rated. then, there's the d.......

when hall and rinaldo are your best players it's hard to say your team is "talented." 

Talent means alot of things. WHen I say talent I mean players who are able to make good plays and score goals. I think we have those players in Giroux, Hartnell, Schenn, Read, Couturier, Vinny but those guys are not players who can turn around a bad losing trend. Needs leadership on ice and take pressure from the "talented". Obviously the players I mentioned is decent players not talented. I think we have a mediocre team in terms of talents. We DONT have enought talent on the team but I think it would make a huge impact on the team with a leader instead of a Iliya Kovalchuk or something... 

I said it before and I'll say it again. G should be focused on putting pucks in nets. NOT being a captain.

In Philly being a captain means more than it does in some towns. He has **** to worry about that he shouldn't. Just score Claude. Whenever you feel like it or remember how or your hand is better or whatever. Just out the damn luck in the net.

Let max or Timmo be captain. Or Gagne... Oops.

Why in the hell did we bring Vinny here?

I have asked that very same question many times on here. Regardless if he wanted to play here or not. He is not what this team needs right now. I still feel vey strongly that he took a roster spot for one of the younger guys. I don't hate Vinny. I just don't think for the money invested that it was the right move.