Does Anyone else agree that this team's #1 need is an offensive d-man?

FD19372

They have no one on their d that can get the puck out of their zone, or a d QB who can keep the pressure on in the other team's zone. Also,is it just me, or can their d, outside of old man Timonen, not skate worth a damn? (Not to mention they can't make two good passes in a row while skating.). Streit isn't the answer.

@ruxpin Lumina sleeps wid da fishes

Schenn type Luke needs to go as well. He blows

He really does blow.  Very limited mobility, no speed, no lateral movement, no offensive game at all, and for the stay-home d-man, he finds himslef out of position too often.  Probably the only thing that he does relatively consistently is take body.  But when your hockey IQ is so low and you don't keep up with the game, that attribute becomes useless.

• Like 1

@Mad Dog

When JvR was shipped out for him, I'll admit I was kind of excited. However, after watching the last few games I cannot agree with what you said more. He just seems to stand around and wait for the play to come to him. 

I really think this team needs a major, major shake up to get their brains working again. Schenn should one of the first players dealt in a package for a real defender. 

@Mad Dog

When JvR was shipped out for him, I'll admit I was kind of excited. However, after watching the last few games I cannot agree with what you said more. He just seems to stand around and wait for the play to come to him. 

I really think this team needs a major, major shake up to get their brains working again. Schenn should one of the first players dealt in a package for a real defender. 

Yes.  This team is constructed so poorly that it almost feels like the only sensible solution is to gut the roster out and redo this.  You will need to change a team's architect first, which is not happening any time soon.  But that man has zero capability of buidling a team.  ZERO.  The only reason I am giving him at least some partial excuse is because Snider has been dictating moves.  Pitiful and despicable, but that's the only reason I am giving him at least some leeway.

There is just not a whole lot that this team does well.  The defense is mediocre, the transition game is absent, the shot selection is bad, passing is bad, defensive coverage (and really just the whole play in their own zone) blows... I mean I am trying to find *some* positive and I don't see any.  Actually, there is.  Mason.  Looks like he has done everything he could.  And I really start to like Raffle.  Beyond that, there is no semblance to the team - collectively or individually.  This team is a complete disaster and a towering fiasco...

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 1

Yes.  This team is constructed so poorly that it almost feels like the only sensible solution is to gut the roster out and redo this.  You will need to change a team's architect first, which is not happening any time soon.  But that man has zero capability of buidling a team.  ZERO.  The only reason I am giving him at least some partial excuse is because Snider has been dictating moves.  Pitiful and despicable, but that's the only reason I am giving him at least some leeway.

There is just not a whole lot that this team does well.  The defense is mediocre, the transition game is absent, the shot selection is bad, passing is bad, defensive coverage (and really just the whole play in their own zone) blows... I mean I am trying to find *some* positive and I don't see any.  Actually, there is.  Mason.  Looks like he has done everything he could.  And I really start to like Raffle.  Beyond that, there is no semblance to the team - collectively or individually.  This team is a complete disaster and a towering fiasco...

As they say on the interwebs:   THIS.

So Streit shows poise, confidence, moves the puck well, is your only quality breakout passer (when the forwards move), and plays mostly solid D... But he's a problem?

Let me put this as simple as possible. He's your ONLY defenseman capable of moving the puck right now. The guy was really good on the Island, but now suddenly stinks? I just don't buy it.

We'll trade you Tanner Glass for him... ;)

• Like 1

He's your ONLY defenseman capable of moving the puck right now.

Gustafsson is pretty slick and should see more ice , but you're right, Streit is not the problem, he's been okay in his end which is what he comes advertised as, and aside from Gus is the only guy that can skate the puck out of trouble. Coburn is too stupid, Grossman is not fast enough, same with Schenn, but at least they can pass decently.

And heck Tanner Glass played very well in an energy role last night, he was one of your team's best players IMO.

Yes, but haven't we just gutted the roster... right after gutting the roster, which was to address gutting the roster?

Yes.

Digity just posted his go/no go list on the other thread.   I kind of agree with most of his assessment.  When you go player by player and list their age and think "yeah, they're still just learning" then I say be patient.

But there are players with bloated contracts and some wear behind them that I would slice.    Just about the whole defense (I would remain patient with Schenn and like Gus).

Brelic, you probably noticed but I'm all over the place on this.  I'm just frustrated as hell and I think this whole thing was put together by a moron.

So Streit shows poise, confidence, moves the puck well, is your only quality breakout passer (when the forwards move), and plays mostly solid D... But he's a problem?

Let me put this as simple as possible. He's your ONLY defenseman capable of moving the puck right now. The guy was really good on the Island, but now suddenly stinks? I just don't buy it.

We'll trade you Tanner Glass for him... ;)

His defense was questionable on the Island and still is, but otherwise I'm right with you.   

Brelic, you probably noticed but I'm all over the place on this.  I'm just frustrated as hell and I think this whole thing was put together by a moron.

Ha! I think we're all frustrated. It's not fun to watch, and I'm sure the players themselves are not having fun.