Revisionist History: Your Coulda Been Roster

brelic

Trying to play revisionist history is usually an exercise in futility and what-ifs, but, hey, it's a slow weekend in Flyers land. Warts and all, here's what the team *could* look like in one of several alternate realities.

Better or worse?

Carter/Giroux/JVR

Lupul/Richards/Upshall

Read/Umberger/Gagne

Rinaldo/Talbot/Raffl or McGinn

Carle/Pitkanen

Coburn/Timonen

Gus/Seidenberg

Bobrovsky

Heeter/Danis

Edited by radoran
split

Trying to play revisionist history is usually an exercise in futility and what-ifs, but, hey, it's a slow weekend in Flyers land. Warts and all, here's what the team *could* look like in one of several alternate realities.

Better or worse?

Carter/Giroux/JVR

Lupul/Richards/Upshall

Read/Umberger/Gagne

Carle/Pitkanen

Coburn/Timonen

Gus/Seidenberg

Bobrovsky

Heeter/Danis

Gotta say I actually hate that lineup. 

Upshall, Umberger, and Gagne deserve to be not here.   None of them has really done a thing since leaving here.  And Lupul gets hurt when someone sneezes in Taipei

A first line of Carter/Giroux/JVR has disaster written all over it.   Giroux would never see the puck.   Neither would JVR for that matter.  Carter would get it, fondle himself for a bit, curl in the faceoff circle, and wrist a shot over the glass.

Lupul/Richards/Upshall is just as ugly.

Carle/Pitkanen on the first pairing?  Who would play defense?

Coburn/Timonen?   Who would play defense?

Gus/Seidenberg.   Probably the best pair of the bunch.

Heeter sucks.  Don't want anything to do with him.

• Like 1

Better or worse?

Carter/Giroux/JVR

Lupul/Richards/Upshall

Read/Umberger/Gagne

Carle/Pitkanen

Coburn/Timonen

Gus/Seidenberg

Bobrovsky

Heeter/Danis

By the way, I forgot to say what a good post that was.    I didn't really realize I wouldn't have liked the team with or without the moves.  

I guess when it comes down to it, I wasn't against moving out the people who were.   I just don't think I like what we replaced it with.

By the way, I forgot to say what a good post that was. I didn't really realize I wouldn't have liked the team with or without the moves.

I guess when it comes down to it, I wasn't against moving out the people who were. I just don't think I like what we replaced it with.

I think you could make arguments in the Flyers favor for the Richards, Carter, Lupul, and JVR deals.

Those brought in B Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek, Pronger, and L Schenn. Not bad overall, and I'm going to defer the Pronger trade debate to the old and dead threads.

I will revise further....

JVR Getzlaf  Perry- we drafted these guys instead of Richards and Carter.... or insert Parise and Dustin Brown

Hartnell Giroux Lupul - we never made the Pronger trade

McGinn Laughton Etem- we didn't trade our pick for Pronger and we drafted Etem, instead of Anaheim drafting him with our pick

Rinaldo Talbot Read

Sbisa- never made Pronger trade

Carlson- we never made the dumb trade for Emminger

Mez

Timmo

Carle

Grossman

Gus

Seidneberg

VEZINA TROPHY WINNER BOB, who is 2-5 with worse goalie stats than CALDER TROPHY WINNER MASON.

just, you know.  flavor.

Yeah, I was actually going to say that Mason--so far--is outplaying Bob.   Mason has nothing to show for it, but so far I'm happy with the goalie play.   If the rest of the players could play just half as well as our goalie we might have 2 wins by now.

You guys can downplay Bobs accomplishments all you want, the bottom line is ,he accomplished far more in a short period than any Flyer goalie has accomplished is 25 years. I do like Mason, and Stolarz is looking good, so it may work out for us in the end.

• Like 1

You guys can downplay Bobs accomplishments all you want, the bottom line is ,he accomplished far more in a short period than any Flyer goalie has accomplished is 25 years.

he won the trophy, sure.  and all props to him.  but...that trophy has been won by goalies who were unable to maintain any semblance of that form.  (plus, you have to know there were several "lulz, the flyers traded this kid, let's vote for him, fu holmgren" votes in there")  bob may or may not by that kind of goalie going forward, but regardless, i think the flyers have somehow found themselves in an ok spot.

I'd like to add to the woulda/coulda/shoulda lineup. If Homey and Snider had a lick of patience, they wouldn't have run all over the place throwing money around after a last place 2007 finish. We likely would have sucked the following year and could have ended up with one of Stamkos/Doughty/Pietrangelo/Eberly/Myers/Karlsson. Instead we got Steve Eminger.

• Like 1

he won the trophy, sure.  and all props to him.  but...that trophy has been won by goalies who were unable to maintain any semblance of that form.  (plus, you have to know there were several "lulz, the flyers traded this kid, let's vote for him, fu holmgren" votes in there")  bob may or may not by that kind of goalie going forward, but regardless, i think the flyers have somehow found themselves in an ok spot.

It's not so much that he won the Vezina. It's what it represents.

It serves as confirmation for what everybody in Philly - including Homer and Snider - already knew and believed: Bobrovsky had all the tools and attributes to be a star in the NHL. And they STILL traded him. For basically nothing. That's the frustrating part. They made that mistake to cover up for another colossal mistake (signing Bryz).

• Like 1

I think what really hurt was losing out on Kane when we got JVR. What was it we had an 8% chance of not getting the first overall stupid ass draft lottery....

If the "problems" with Richards and Crater were "true" and "Dry Island" was a potential issue, then Kane might not have been the same player here that he is in Chicago. An unleashed Kane on the streets with the Olde City Krewe? Look out.

On the "plus" side, they did take a guy who had 15 as a rookie, 21 as a soph, 18 in 48 last year (30 projection) and 5 in seven games this season, and trade him for a stay at home defenceman.

So they have that going for them.

If the "problems" with Richards and Crater were "true" and "Dry Island" was a potential issue, then Kane might not have been the same player here that he is in Chicago. An unleashed Kane on the streets with the Olde City Krewe? Look out.

On the "plus" side, they did take a guy who had 15 as a rookie, 21 as a soph, 18 in 48 last year (30 projection) and 5 in seven games this season, and trade him for a stay at home defenceman.

So they have that going for them.

Idk about that with Kane. I think Kane is more into his craft then the regular player. Sure he probably is a big party guy but it isn't like Chicago is a place you go for the quiet life...

Idk about that with Kane. I think Kane is more into his craft then the regular player. Sure he probably is a big party guy but it isn't like Chicago is a place you go for the quiet life...

I know many people from Buffalo who know Pat personally (grew up in and around South Buffalo with him, still see him when he comes back into town, etc.). He's matured a lot since he hit the league, but he wasn't the poster boy for temperance before that. Chicago had him living with his mom when he first got to town.

Point being, if he's got a Mike Richards - again, assuming the rumors are true - instead of a Toews, things might have turned out much different than they did.

Since this is all specualtion anyway.

• Like 1

Maybe shrinking the goalie's equipment this season has brought Bob back down to earth (and improved Mason's stock).

Maybe shrinking the goalie's equipment this season has brought Bob back down to earth (and improved Mason's stock).

He's still got a .917 SV% (better than Smith, Holtby, Rinne, Luongo among others) and he still plays on a team that just isn't very good.

I completely agree with aziz that he did benefit a lot from people who wanted to "stick it" to the Flyers for dealing him in winning the Vezina and the potential pitfalls facing Vezina winners - but that doesn't obfuscate the fact that the Flyers, a franchise eternally searching for a goaltender, dealt a FA goalie they found and brought into the league who then won the Vezina.