Isles grab Vanek, Sabres get Moulson in blockbuster trade

FlyersFan4Life

Did not see this one coming. Isles a near lock for one of the eight playoff spots now IMHO.

I dunno Isles gave up to much for Vanek and no guarantee he will resign with the Isles and if they don't go deep into the PO they screwed themselves, looks like snow took a lesson from Homer

At $7M a year, I wonder how much Vanek is going to want on his next contract. He'll be turning 30 next year, so you figure he's going to want a bit of an increase during what are the end of his prime years.   Could cost the Islanders a pretty penny to keep him.

For Buffalo, wow, I know a few Sabres season ticket holders, they're going to be pissed.    Maybe they're going to stock up in the draft.  I wonder if Miller will be next?

I just don't see Vanek staying on the island. Everything I've read says Vanek wants to go to Minny. This is gross overpayment for a rental and I don't think this is the year that the Islanders are in a position to "go for it."

As for buffalo, they have to stock pile picks and prospects. They are simply not even close as a team so entire rebuild it is. They have a couple young d men and just had a decent draft. They're going to have a top 2 pick this year plus the Isles' first. And Moulson will not be a huge drop off in Buffalo. Yes, Vanek will be better than Moulson in NY but not a lot of difference in Buffalo since neither player has a heck of a lot of help there.

Because the trade serves Buffalo's rebuild needs and because the Islanders aren't ready this year and Vanek will leave in June, I gotta say the Sabres win this one.

As for buffalo, they have to stock pile picks and prospects. They are simply not even close as a team so entire rebuild it is. They have a couple young d men and just had a decent draft. They're going to have a top 2 pick this year plus the Isles' first. And Moulson will not be a huge drop off in Buffalo. Yes, Vanek will be better than Moulson in NY but not a lot of difference in Buffalo since neither player has a neck of a lot of help there.

Because the trade serves Buffalo's rebuild needs and because the Islanders aren't ready this year and Vanek will leave in June, I gotta say the Sabres win this one.

Yeah, and if I'm Moulson, I'm renting month by month in Buffalo.  Good chance the Sabres deal him at the deadline and try to pick up another first rounder, and maybe even a prospect.  

Good chance the Sabres deal him at the deadline and try to pick up another first rounder, and maybe even a prospect

Yeah, I would put ALL of my chips on that.  I mean, he has some value if they can sign him at 3.5-4.0, but I think the 3.4-4.0 has a lot more value added in elsewhere.  Plus picks/prospects?  Yeah, in a heartbeat.

It's gotta be what Regier is thinking, too.

Yeah, I would put ALL of my chips on that.  I mean, he has some value if they can sign him at 3.5-4.0, but I think the 3.4-4.0 has a lot more value added in elsewhere.  Plus picks/prospects?  Yeah, in a heartbeat.

It's gotta be what Regier is thinking, too.

20-goal scorers are getting $4-$4.5M, Moulson's been a consistent 30-a-year guy (with Tavares) for essentially the last four seasons.

I gotta think that any team with a competent first line center is looking to give him upwards of $5M.

Paging Paul Holmgren, Paul Holmgren to the green, big money phone...

• Like 1

I gotta think that any team with a competent first line center is looking to give him upwards of $5M.

I have to think this is correct.  If I hadn't already placed all my chips on Buffalo trading him at the deadline, this would make me double down.

I have to think this is correct.  If I hadn't already placed all my chips on Buffalo trading him at the deadline, this would make me double down.

Flyers have all sorts of second round picks available... Couturier and a 2014 second for Moulson and a swap of 2015 seconds?

Then re-sign for six years, $36M w NMC?

Just trying to think like Holmgren...

Flyers have all sorts of second round picks available... Couturier and a 2014 second for Moulson and a swap of 2015 seconds?

Then re-sign for six years, $36M w NMC?

Just trying to think like Holmgren...

Oh God.  You know that's going to appear in a Philly paper in the next couple of days, right?  Frank S will print it as if it's his idea and then Holmgren will think it's a good one.  I'm bookmarking this post so we can blame you when it happens.

• Like 1