Anyone else think they're not this bad?

fanaticV3.0

Before someone has an aneurysm or something, I'm not saying they are a cup contender, but I do think they can and should be better than they are at the current time.

They're offense is pretty bad right now and there's guys who are capable of producing more than they are right now. Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, and Hartnell are all capable of more than they are showing right now. Couturier is in theory (though he scares me). I have to think that when these guys start producing more than they are now - which is virtually nothing - there's bound to be improvement.

The defense is an issue and I don't think that is going to change.

For the first time in....well I don't remember, the goaltending is the least of their worries.

It is only a matter of time before they start stringing a few more wins together. There is no way that ALL of the top 6 guys can keep not scoring. It just won't happen if they keep pushing. I have to admit I want to box Giroux's ears every time he drops the puck and skates towards the left circle...but that is only because he does it every time. He needs to keep the puck and force the defender to follow or move with him at least occasionally and open up the top of the zone before kicking it back. The defense is showing improvement....who knew it would take an over the hill geezer like Hal Gill to come in and settle the d. I would like to see him paired with Coburn and see if that can be a steadying influence and get him back to playing like he did with Hatcher.....

Edited by flyerrod

No doubt in my mind that they're not this bad. The question is what will it take to get them to play up to their expected ability as a team?

Simple, but really good question. The coach was canned, they made a trade, and still nothing. There's guys who are showing almost nothing statistically. And if I really think about it, going into the season, I was relatively pleased with the forwards. I figured it was enough to get them in as a lower playoff seed. The goalie has been a nice surprise and I have to think that when some of the guys upfront come around, they're going to be a lot better. By a lot I just mean significantly better now, because they're so bad right not, not a legit contender.

The problem is the "We're pretty good on paper" excuse.

I really don't understand what this means since there is no alternate reality where teams win a Stanley Cup by looking good 'on paper'.

But the Flyers are usually built this way, and I think what we are seeing here is their PR department doing a pretty good job convincing us that every season we should be really good....because we look good on paper.

It is only a matter of time before they start stringing a few more wins together. There is no way that ALL of the top 6 guys can keep not scoring. It just won't happen if they keep pushing. I have to admit I want to box Giroux's ears every time he drops the puck and skates towards the left circle...but that is only because he does it every time. He needs to keep the puck and force the defender to follow or move with him at least occasionally and open up the top of the zone before kicking it back. The defense is showing improvement....who knew it would take an over the hill geezer like Hal Gill to come in and settle the d. I would like to see him paired with Coburn and see if that can be a steadying influence and get him back to playing like he did with Hatcher.....

I said this on another thread, but I think Coburn has to play with a certain type of player. He's got skill, but he isn't consistent or confident enough to carry a pairing. If Gill wasn't 110, I'd agree with you. Hell, I might even agree with you for now, but longterm, I want to find him someone who is a steady, calming influence to play with. It doesn't have to be a superstar. It can be a guy who is just a good defensive player and doesn't get a lot of credit.  

I agree the top 6 can't all be this quiet for this long.

No doubt in my mind that they're not this bad. The question is what will it take to get them to play up to their expected ability as a team?

Agreed... they  are not this bad and there is talent on this Team - whether it be on the ice or on paper.   I think something just got so fundamentally screwed up that it is going to take a while to come around.  I said before the season started they will not make the playoffs.   I just dont think they have the scoring depth and defense to be a playoff team.  At best they would slip into the 6th to 8th seed. 

They are not as bad as they have been playing.  I wish I knew what it would take to look like an actual NHL team but I am not the Amazing Kreskin.   The question I would like to know is what really happened to this team? 

As I noted in another thread, this team has the chance to gain ground by beating up on "bad" teams.

If they are better than they are playing - and for the record I believe they are - they have a good chance to pull themselves out of it over the next month.

If they don't, obviously, they are screwed.

(And, before we all get on the "Hal Gill stabilized the defense" bandwagon, let's recall that Jersey was missing Zajac and Elias and doesn't have a whole lot of offense to begin with, having lost Kovalchuk; and the Flyers won 1-0).

The question I would like to know is what really happened to this team? 

Agreed!

Agreed... they  are not this bad and there is talent on this Team - whether it be on the ice or on paper.   I think something just got so fundamentally screwed up that it is going to take a while to come around.  I said before the season started they will not make the playoffs.   I just dont think they have the scoring depth and defense to be a playoff team.  At best they would slip into the 6th to 8th seed. 

They are not as bad as they have been playing.  I wish I knew what it would take to look like an actual NHL team but I am not the Amazing Kreskin.   The question I would like to know is what really happened to this team? 

That's what I find most confusing. If someone said to me, "What's wrong with them" I'd be like, "Hell if I know." I mean they obviously need to score more goals, but why aren't they? They're certainly capable.

you know... it is just plain odd really.  How can a team forget how to play hockey and by all accounts that is what it really looks like.   I dont know if they really shut out Lavy and things took a turn or if the players are really that stupid.   Something had to have happened b/c as bad as they are right now they have talent.  It is a confusing situation!

It is just a really wierd situation and something that I dont think we will ever fully understand - just like the Carter / Richards situation.  They could literally write a drama about this franchise woth everything that has gone on... 

Maybe the players are quitting on the Organization and not the Coaches.  Maybe the Homer and Snider meddling runs deeper than we think and the players just dont respect them.  Maybe there is a locker room issue b/t certain players...   Maybe Grioux was banging Snider's wife...maybe they all feel too comfortable...

I have no clue but something got them off the tracks.   Let's hope they can pull it together and least make the season interesting.  As much as I have bashed them as of late they have the talent to fight for a playoff spot.  

One thing I do know is that it is never boring being a Flyers fan.   For better or worse....

Edited by murraycraven

If they weren't this bad, they wouldn't be this bad.

No, they're exactly this bad and what's worse, because of Homer they ain't getting better until some guys retire.

Before someone has an aneurysm or something, I'm not saying they are a cup contender, but I do think they can and should be better than they are at the current time.

They're offense is pretty bad right now and there's guys who are capable of producing more than they are right now. Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, and Hartnell are all capable of more than they are showing right now. Couturier is in theory (though he scares me). I have to think that when these guys start producing more than they are now - which is virtually nothing - there's bound to be improvement.

The defense is an issue and I don't think that is going to change.

For the first time in....well I don't remember, the goaltending is the least of their worries.

• Like 1

Hey Guys...oh man its being painfull to watch Flyers this season..."again".

i think there must be issues in locker room, also as much I like G he is not Captain for this team, he is shadow of what he was when Jagr was playing with him. I think to wake up the team they would have to take C from Giroux.

They cant score, and if they keep playing like next 5 to 10 games then I would trade some key pieces ( Giroux, Hartnell, Couturier, Simmonds )  away IF they could get something really really good in return, not sure what that would be but...

I would not trade Read, Voracek and other young guys they have...

yes the D is still a mess BUT hey we have finally a good goalie!!!!! Mason has been really good, cant blame him.

SO I think they are as bad as they play now, if you are superstar or elite player in NHL you score goals now and then atleast, but 20 games without a goal??? I really dont know what has happened to G, but I think the hole issue lies there.

As I noted in another thread, this team has the chance to gain ground by beating up on "bad" teams.

If they are better than they are playing - and for the record I believe they are - they have a good chance to pull themselves out of it over the next month.

(And, before we all get on the "Hal Gill stabilized the defense" bandwagon, let's recall that Jersey was missing Zajac and Elias and doesn't have a whole lot of offense to begin with, having lost Kovalchuk; and the Flyers won 1-0).

Agreed!

"PICK UP GROUND'

LOL

THEY ARE TERRIBLE. 

I ACTUALLY THINK BERUBE IS DOING THE RIGHT THING BY FOCUSING ON TEAM D - THEY ARE SERIOUSLY VOID OF TALENT AND HOCKEY IQ UP FRONT.

THE ROSTER IS WHAT IT IS AND HAS BEEN FOR OVER 60 GAMES NOW - COUNTING LAST YEAR, WHICH WAS CLEARLY NOT AN ABERRATION. GOMER IS AN IDIOT AND HAS ASSEMBLED A TEAM OF THIRD-LINERS, GROSSLY MISCAST AS TOP 6 FORWARDS.

FACE THE FACTS:  THEY ARE SCORING 1.58 GOALS A GAME AND HAVE ONLY SCORED MORE THAN THREE GOALS TWICE. AND, LET'S NOT FORGET THAT LAST YEAR WE WERE TERRIBLE 5-ON-5.

IT AMAZES ME THAT PEOPLE HERE THINK THEY ARE GOING TO "PICK UP GROUND"

HOW? ON WHO? 

THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO ACQUIRE ANOTHER GOOD YOUNG PLAYER OR TWO THIS UPCOMING DRAFT. UNLESS GOMER TRADES THE PICK, OF COURSE.

Edited by caluso

you know... it is just plain odd really.

it is.  just plain odd.  last night, timonen had his first point of the season.  in game 14.  i know he's getting older, but....first point of the season.  how is that even possible?

If they weren't this bad, they wouldn't be this bad.

No, they're exactly this bad and what's worse, because of Homer they ain't getting better until some guys retire.

That's kind of simplistic, but I'm not one for over complicating things. I think common sense is lacking a lot these days. Too often people over complicate a situation when it's really not needed.

That being said, I think you are oversimplifying the situation a little bit. There are several guys on the team right now not producing up to the level they have in previous years. I'm not talking about a bunch of unproven first and second year players, I'm talking about guys who we know what their level of production usually is and that being off this year. There's 15-20 goal scorers on pace for like 5 goals this year.

"PICK UP GROUND'

LOL

THEY ARE TERRIBLE. 

I ACTUALLY THINK BERUBE IS DOING THE RIGHT THING BY FOCUSING ON TEAM D - THEY ARE SERIOUSLY VOID OF TALENT AND HOCKEY IQ UP FRONT.

THE ROSTER IS WHAT IT IS AND HAS BEEN FOR OVER 60 GAMES NOW - COUNTING LAST YEAR, WHICH WAS CLEARLY NOT AN ABERRATION. GOMER IS AN IDIOT AND HAS ASSEMBLED A TEAM OF THIRD-LINERS, GROSSLY MISCAST AS TOP 6 FORWARDS.

FACE THE FACTS:  THEY ARE SCORING 1.58 GOALS A GAME AND HAVE ONLY SCORED MORE THAN THREE GOALS TWICE. AND, LET'S NOT FORGET THAT LAST YEAR WE WERE TERRIBLE 5-ON-5.

IT AMAZES ME THAT PEOPLE HERE THINK THEY ARE GOING TO "PICK UP GROUND"

HOW? ON WHO? 

THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO ACQUIRE ANOTHER GOOD YOUNG PLAYER OR TWO THIS UPCOMING DRAFT. UNLESS GOMER TRADES THE PICK, OF COURSE.

You really need to understand the use of the word "if"

Looking more like the latter, donchathink?

Caps lock? Also, not your friend...

it is.  just plain odd.  last night, timonen had his first point of the season.  in game 14.  i know he's getting older, but....first point of the season.  how is that even possible?

it is possible, nay likely, that the team has overvalued the players...

Timonen - one of my favorite players - at $6M is an absurd deal. He's not Lidstrom... Ridiculous and unnecessary.

Hartnell at $4.25M for the next six years?

Giroux, may the old gods and the new help us, eight for $8.25M?

Streit???

Has anyone seen Jake Voracek this season?

Simmonds is probably one of the few "good" contracts on the books, alongside VLC. Beyond that, there's a lot of problems...

• Like 1

it is possible, nay likely, that the team has overvalued the players...

Timonen - one of my favorite players - at $6M is an absurd deal. He's not Lidstrom... Ridiculous and unnecessary.

agreed, absolutely.  but....1 point in 14 games?  the most cynical "he's-over-the-hill" person out there couldn't have called that.  kimo timonen is on a pace for 6 points this season.  rounded up. 

agreed, absolutely.  but....1 point in 14 games?  the most cynical "he's-over-the-hill" person out there couldn't have called that.  kimo timonen is on a pace for 6 points this season.  rounded up. 

I wish there was an easy explanation about what's going on. Or even a plausible one.

But beyond the idea that they have just up and totally quit on the organization, I got nothin'.

Claude Giroux is "on pace" for zero goals.

I wish there was an easy explanation about what's going on. Or even a plausible one.

But beyond the idea that they have just up and totally quit on the organization, I got nothin'.

Claude Giroux is "on pace" for zero goals.

I think this may be a possibility...that the players have quit on the organization. Maybe they lost respect for the way it's run with the constant shuffling of players....

Or

Maybe they all feel like they are skating on eggshells and wonder to themselves "who's next?"

Same can be said for Hartnell and Giroux. Hartnell hasn't had an assist in 35 games and Giroux hasn't had a goal in somewhere around 20. Several guys are having  career droughts right now.