Miller is USA's best choice. So says Bleacher and me

Buffalo Rick

I know you have no respect for the Bleacher report, but you  cannot deny that Miller has been stellar playing for a team that is overmatched night in and out.  He has been stellar.  His goaltending has been spectacular.  He is a battle tested veteran who has been to conference finals and won the MVP in the Olypmics.  Miller is the best whether you like it or not

I dunno about "stellar".  He's made some good saves.  I haven't seen all his games this year, but in the ones I've watched, he's yet to steal one for Buffalo.

Last night qualifies.  47 saves.  You go see how many games we lost 2-1 that could have been 8-1

I'm not sure I'd put him ahead of Quick just yet. I like Miller... And if my Penguins took him on in a reasonable trade I'd like him even more. But choosing between him and Quick is tough. Quick has been stellar these past few seasons. Miller is on a roll even though he's losing...

I'm not sure I'd put him ahead of Quick just yet. I like Miller... And if my Penguins took him on in a reasonable trade I'd like him even more. But choosing between him and Quick is tough. Quick has been stellar these past few seasons. Miller is on a roll even though he's losing...

Its quite an advantage for Quick playing for a veteran winning team.  Put Miller there and he would do the same.  He is doing it with no help.  He is stopping over 45 shots a night.  I think the two of them will be selected.  Who starts may depend on how they do vs other countries in the early rounds.  I think its Miller's job to lose in all fairness.   Miller would have a Cup also if not for our 4 starting defensemen going down vs Carolina.  We go to the third period with a 3-2 lead and our defense was all Rochester.  The winner of that game everyone knew would win the Cup as Edmonton had pulled off the unimaginable and made it to the finals as an 8 seed.  Everyone knew that Buffalo or Carolina would destroy them.  Miller has been to two Eastern Conference finals and that was one of them.  Now he is the last from a very good team.  Last night they looked very good.  Quick robbed us blind on many occasions.  But they are showing life.  They are young and there are 12 picks to cash in.

Four choices.

Miller

Craig Anderson

Jimmy Howard

Quick

Quite honestly Miller in spite of his pathetic record is having the better season. Anderson has been nicked up, Howard and Quick are off to slow starts.

If I could only take three, God what a tough choice as to who to leave off, but Howard is a lock as the team will be announced at the game January first in Michigan. Quick seems to be a lock too. That leaves Miller and Anderson.

Miller or Anderson. Personally for the third goalie I would have to go Anderson because I think he elite but if he is banged up I would have no problem with Miller.

So I rank them 1. Quick 2. Howard 3. Anderson 4. Miller barring injury to one of the other three I think Miller is on the outside looking in.

CBS Sportsline has Miller on the front page and they believe either St Louis or the Islanders should make a play for him.   But what do they have to offer us for such a great player?   Nothing.  So IMO we are better off paying Miller and giving him a big contract rather than lose him.  We are loaded with draft picks.  Do not need any more.  Need only proven players if he is traded and they had better be big names

Even though Anderson has not been great this year, he was stellar when it mattered in the playoffs, basically taking his team on his back. When he gest in a groove, he's super tough to beat. He's faster than Miller and more technically sound.

I'd go...Quick, Howard (who has shown he is a really good goalie with a decent defense in front of him....which Team Canada will have) and Anderson. Miller on the outside looking in.

We know how Quick, Howard and Anderson play when it's all on the line, they all up their game, when is the last time Miller played a game that really mattered?

• Like 1

@jammer2

Another name being tossed around for consideration is Ben Bishop, who is playing out of his mind for the Lightning. I have him in both fantasy leagues, he has been a godsend to my clubs.

I personally would rate him about even with Miller, with a slight edge to Miller because of past performances but five USA goalies? Cant remember the last time that happened.

@Hockey Junkie  I know Miller is on a bad team, but "he's the best, whether I like it or not?  Dude, the guy is 2-10 with a 3.09 GGA....even factoring in how putrid the Sabres are, if he's the "best" he should have a better record than 2-10.....GREAT goalies, they steal games, no matter how crappy their team is. What a ridiculous statement. 

• Like 1

@Hockey Junkie  I know Miller is on a bad team, but "he's the best, whether I like it or not?  Dude, the guy is 2-10 with a 3.09 GGA....even factoring in how putrid the Sabres are, if he's the "best" he should have a better record than 2-10.....GREAT goalies, they steal games, no matter how crappy their team is. What a ridiculous statement. 

Go look at his save percentage.  Its off the charts.  How can you steal games when your team does not score?  Idiots

Go look at his save percentage.  Its off the charts.  How can you steal games when your team does not score?  Idiots

Once again, proven wrong...gotta be tough to be you. His save percentage is .919, 15th in the league, right in the middle of the pack...so shall we call it an average save percentage???  LOL

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLGAGAll&sort=savePercentage&viewName=savePercentageLeaders

• Like 1

Junkie watch the idiots comments. Miller is not part of the solution in buffalo they will still be figuring out what they have long after he has done the Calgary shuffle or wherever.

I get the whole man crush, hell he is your favorite player and he has pretty eyes which might mean something more to you than they do to me, lol. But calling folks idiots for pointing out that he is 2-10 with a GAA over 3 and a middle of the pack save pct. is not conducive to good dialogue.

Wishing your Sabres the best going forward, i feel for the situation that miller is in, but to say Quick is a product of the team around him shows that you slept through a few recent post seasons. Miller is either the fourth or even fifth best USA goalie in the mix this year. Him making the olympic team is like giving a guy a gold watch for 30 years of service.

Junkie watch the idiots comments. Miller is not part of the solution in buffalo they will still be figuring out what they have long after he has done the Calgary shuffle or wherever.

I get the whole man crush, hell he is your favorite player and he has pretty eyes which might mean something more to you than they do to me, lol. But calling folks idiots for pointing out that he is 2-10 with a GAA over 3 and a middle of the pack save pct. is not conducive to good dialogue.

Wishing your Sabres the best going forward, i feel for the situation that miller is in, but to say Quick is a product of the team around him shows that you slept through a few recent post seasons. Miller is either the fourth or even fifth best USA goalie in the mix this year. Him making the olympic team is like giving a guy a gold watch for 30 years of service.

Many disagree with you including the writer for CBS.  Miller is the best goalie.  Period.  

Many disagree with you including the writer for CBS.  Miller is the best goalie.  Period.  

Miller is not in the top ten. He is likely the best AVAILABLE goaltender but that is not saying much, not a lot of net minders available out there.

Miller has not been relevant in years. He is an average at best netminder who plays for a wretched team. Sorry, but them is the facts. To portray him as a God in the game reduces ones credibility to zero.

Once again, proven wrong...gotta be tough to be you. His save percentage is .919, 15th in the league, right in the middle of the pack...so shall we call it an average save percentage???  LOL

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLGAGAll&sort=savePercentage&viewName=savePercentageLeaders

Rick's officially gone off the deep end!

Of all the goalies who have played at least 10 games this year....

...he's next to last (25th of 26) in GAA (3.40) ahead of only Edmonton's Devan Dubnyk.

...16th in SV % with a stellar .912.

Career 513 GP / .915 SV% / 2.61 GAA / 28 SO

That's comparable to "Random Mystery Goalie": 480 GP / .910 SV% / 2.64 GAA / 24 SO

• Like 1