Crazy Stat for the Flyers

murraycraven

Came across this stat today that is pretty amazing - in a not so good way:

#Flyers have 388 shots on goal, and 394 that have missed the net or have been blocked.

That is incredible and pretty much tells the story of why this team is so bad.  This team is just fundamentally bad.

sounds about right. i'm tellin ya.. i've said this before. But, they bring in Mark Streit for his booming, 'accurate', point shot. I swear I have NOT seen him hit the net once. I mean... sure I might have missed once or twice, but the majority of his shots have been like frickin musket ball shots. 

It gets worse:

Voracek on pace for 24 POINTS

Giroux on pace for 41 points, -59 (currently -10)

Hartnell on pace for 8 points

Simmonds on pace for 29 points

Read on pace for 24 points

Couturier on pace for 18 points

Timonen on pace for 6 points

To have the majority of your offensive forwards ALL sucking at the same time is pretty unbelievable. You gotta think that they will snap out of it at some point, but wow, I've never seen so much coordinated suckage.

• Like 1

It gets worse:

Voracek on pace for 24 POINTS

Giroux on pace for 41 points, -59 (currently -10)

Hartnell on pace for 8 points

Simmonds on pace for 29 points

Read on pace for 24 points

Couturier on pace for 18 points

Timonen on pace for 6 points

To have the majority of your offensive forwards ALL sucking at the same time is pretty unbelievable. You gotta think that they will snap out of it at some point, but wow, I've never seen so much coordinated suckage.

You gotta think that they will get to the source of it at some point, but wow, I've never seen so much coordinated suckage.

Fixed   :D 

• Like 1

Never in a million years did I think offense would be a problem on this team. This is a team that's power play was top 5 last year. All the same players in place, but the results are putrid. If these numbers continue, the Flyers will go from a top 5 offensive team to the worst offensive team of all time. I know the NHL has crazy swings from year to year....but this is INSANE!!!

Came across this stat today that is pretty amazing - in a not so good way:

#Flyers have 388 shots on goal, and 394 that have missed the net or have been blocked.

That is incredible and pretty much tells the story of why this team is so bad.  This team is just fundamentally bad.

Wait, so that's saying that roughly half of their shots get through and are on net? That doesn't seem so horrible to me. Am I missing something? I have no idea what would be "normal".

Wait, so that's saying that roughly half of their shots get through and are on net? That doesn't seem so horrible to me. Am I missing something? I have no idea what would be "normal".

Yes, that's what it's saying. I'm not sure where they got that stat, so I couldn't find anything on other teams to compare.

But, I do know that 388 shots on goal puts us 28th in the league. For reference, Anaheim leads the league with 575 shots on goal.

The Flyers have allowed the 8th fewest shots against, so we have that going for us. I honestly thought we would be worse than that.

Yes, that's what it's saying. I'm not sure where they got that stat, so I couldn't find anything on other teams to compare.

But, I do know that 388 shots on goal puts us 28th in the league. For reference, Anaheim leads the league with 575 shots on goal.

The Flyers have allowed the 8th fewest shots against, so we have that going for us. I honestly thought we would be worse than that.

It was tweeted yesterday by Sam C

Sam Carchidi@BroadStBull22h

Well, I don't think SOG is all that important (as long as you actually get some). Toronto is 10-5, TB is 10-4, and both are averaging fewer SOG/G than the Flyers. It would be interesting to know where they rank as far as failing to get SOG, i.e., blocked and missed shots. Also, good scoring chances. Does anyone actually keep that stat?

Well, I don't think SOG is all that important (as long as you actually get some). Toronto is 10-5, TB is 10-4, and both are averaging fewer SOG/G than the Flyers. It would be interesting to know where they rank as far as failing to get SOG, i.e., blocked and missed shots. Also, good scoring chances. Does anyone actually keep that stat?

Agreed! And if you recall, Fred Shero admired the euros (particularly the Russians) because they emphasized the quality rather than the quality of shots!!!

Best,

Howie

Jack... I will do some digging around to see if I can find it b/c that is something that would be very telling.    The one thing I noticed, and you mentioned, was the quality of shots.  This team takes more bad shots than I can remember.   The constant perimeter shooting has been maddening IMO.

Let me do some research.

im so tired of the excuses of shipping players, what's so hard about shooting pucks? it's one thing if they are trying but they are playing like they just want to lose and not make the effort it's inexcusable.

if it's gets blocked, then try and try again eventually it will go in. that's the type of effort i want to see.

Edited by flyersfan83

im so tired of the excuses of shipping players, what's so hard about shooting pucks? it's one thing if they are trying but they are playing like they just want to lose and not make the effort it's inexcusable.

if it's gets blocked, then try and try again eventually it will go in. that's the type of effort i want to see.

exactly. the other night it was like the won Lord Stanley cause Hartnell finally scored one stinkin goal. They figured... ok, that's enough and took their foot completely off the pedal. A lot of that blame falls squarely on G. Pretty directly, since he let off his man who scored the tying goal. 

edit: I think it's a famous Shakespeare quote(TLTG (too lazy to google)) 'if the gold rusts, what will the iron do?' If G is constantly putting in a 2nd rate effort, what makes anyone think that culture doesn't get ingrained all the way down? this is the problem we've had in philly for some years now. G is a huge concern for the team right now. 

Edited by Bakanekimiwa