homer destroyed the chemistry

flyersfan83

as much as lav deserved to be blamed for this but homer should take some responsibility for this as well, i mean after the injuries and young players came in to play before the season ended, they played really well, it seemed like they had good chemistry but in the offseason homer refused to get rid of the players they were causing chemistry problems when the season started, the whole team looked lost and im still not sold on this team until some of these players are moved.

not keeping jagr was a major mistake, he had good chemistry with giroux and hartnell, that's why giroux is not the player he once was even last season, im not saying get rid of him, im saying give him a top line winger, he'll gain confidence and have good chemistry.

it's the reason why this team is so bad because homer keeps destroying the chemistry by getting rid of players instead of adding a player to make this team stronger.

after 2010, homer should have kept the team together and added a defensemen in fa instead of getting rid of gagne for mez because if gagne was still there in 2011, i think they would had a better chance of contending and maybe beating boston again.

keeps destroying the chemistry by getting rid of players instead of adding a player to make this team stronger.

problem:  there is a roster limit and a salary cap.  to add a player, you have to get rid of a player. to add a million in salary, you have to get rid of a million in salary.  there is no such thing as just adding.

problem:  there is a roster limit and a salary cap.  to add a player, you have to get rid of a player. to add a million in salary, you have to get rid of a million in salary.  there is no such thing as just adding.

right what i meant was getting a player and getting rid of a player that's not part of the core.

as much as lav deserved to be blamed for this but homer should take some responsibility for this as well, i mean after the injuries and young players came in to play before the season ended, they played really well, it seemed like they had good chemistry but in the offseason homer refused to get rid of the players they were causing chemistry problems when the season started, the whole team looked lost and im still not sold on this team until some of these players are moved.

not keeping jagr was a major mistake, he had good chemistry with giroux and hartnell, that's why giroux is not the player he once was even last season, im not saying get rid of him, im saying give him a top line winger, he'll gain confidence and have good chemistry.

it's the reason why this team is so bad because homer keeps destroying the chemistry by getting rid of players instead of adding a player to make this team stronger.

after 2010, homer should have kept the team together and added a defensemen in fa instead of getting rid of gagne for mez because if gagne was still there in 2011, i think they would had a better chance of contending and maybe beating boston again.

Gagne wasn't traded for Meszaros, he was traded for Matt Walker.

I do think that losing Carle/Jagr and not getting Suter/Parise was a mistake for the organization. 

That said, I don't understand your position that Homer lets players go too often and the solution is for them to let some players go. The foundation of the team that lost Jagr/Carle is pretty much the same foundation that exists today.

What did you like so much about that team that you don't like about it now?

Gagne wasn't traded for Meszaros, he was traded for Matt Walker.

I do think that losing Carle/Jagr and not getting Suter/Parise was a mistake for the organization. 

That said, I don't understand your position that Homer lets players go too often and the solution is for them to let some players go. The foundation of the team that lost Jagr/Carle is pretty much the same foundation that exists today.

What did you like so much about that team that you don't like about it now?

i mean yes the defense is playing better, the same mistakes are happening, there's no jump in this team for 60 minutes, it's one period and they stop playing, what i want to see this team play for 60 minutes, yes they get lucky goals but that's not good enough, i want to see this team put more effort in the offensive zone, goals or no goals. the way the jets were playing, they were playing like they putting the effort out.

I really don't have issues with this team. It's a good team with a lot of work needed on a new system. I can see the difference on the ice. Is this team missing a number one winger? I say no. They have voracek holding down that line. I think a lot of the issues with the top line is messing with the people on the lines too much. Let them go and learn to play with each other. Also they need a top dman. That is true to a point. Six capable dmen can take away that true need for a top flight dman. Do they have that six capable dmen? Hard to say right now. However, if they don't and need one well good luck. Good puck moving dmen ,let alone top five,don't get moved. If they do get moved its for a premium. Here is my question to you guys........if this team plays the way they have recently and say the preds offer up weber for Schenn/coots/read and Laughton. They want any of those three would you take it. No picks just players. My answer?..... No. I'm letting this team play out as is and allow our young players to play in this system for at least this full year. I believe we have good talent in the system like morin and Haag , the latter not doing very well now. At the end of the year we evaluate our needs and if we finished in the lottery then maybe I would come back to the weber offer. But they play well and compete every night and just miss the playoffs I stand pat and hope we get better with subtraction. Referring to kimmo and mez.

• Like 1

i mean yes the defense is playing better, the same mistakes are happening, there's no jump in this team for 60 minutes, it's one period and they stop playing, what i want to see this team play for 60 minutes, yes they get lucky goals but that's not good enough, i want to see this team put more effort in the offensive zone, goals or no goals. the way the jets were playing, they were playing like they putting the effort out.

Completely disagree with your assessment of their recent play.

• Like 3

well, do you want me to say this team will win a Stanley cup and let's just overlook all the teams like they are garbage?

im sorry i dont buy this at all because i have seen them go through 10 game winning streaks then 10 game losing streaks. i just want a clean slate im sick of excuses of losing for the 40th year, that's my frustration.

Edited by flyersfan83

well, do you want me to say this team will win a Stanley cup and let's just overlook all the teams like they are garbage?

im sorry i dont buy this at all because i have seen them go through 10 game winning streaks then 10 game losing streaks. i just want a clean slate im sick of excuses of losing for the 40th year, that's my frustration.

Well, I buy the frustration (see my signature).   It just doesn't seem to me that what you've written reflects what we've seen the last 10 games or so.  But I can't argue with your description of history, so I guess you have a point on that.   Just seemed odd--to me--to unload with a description that isn't *currently* apt and while they're playing well (if a bit boring, IMO).

• Like 1

well, do you want me to say this team will win a Stanley cup

I missed this last night.   Are you saying there is nothing in between playing as you describe (which frankly indicates not actually watching the past several weeks) and winning the Stanley Cup?  Were there 29 teams that played like crap last year and should fire everything and one team that won the Cup?     

My request was to describe current reality, not swing all the way to the other end of the silly spectrum.

yeah, the defense played ok during that short span of injuries last season, but really? Do you want to have Gervais on the roster full time over Coburn?  Lauridson still has areas to work on his game, I'd rather have a healthy Grossman.  Part of the difference between this year and last year has been Luke Schenn's play.  He was one of our best defensemen last spring and he has been one of our worst defenders this fall. He has improved the last few games.  `

I really don't think Holmgren messed at all with the Chemistry on defense we have the same players this season as last season and some of those are the same from the season before.  Most often it is the forwards not back checking which cause defensive breakdowns leading to goals for the opposition. 

Get over Jagr, yeah he helped out Giroux when he was here.  We won nothing with Jagr, Boston won nothing with Jagr.  Giroux is capable of playing well with other forwards as he has done so in the past.

There are areas where Holmgren is to blame, but those mistakes are mostly with contracts, no movement clauses and terms.  He also should have fired Laviolette at the end of last season.  I think he helped the team by bringing Vinny in.  Streit has been decent, but I"m not infavor of his contract.  Give Holmgren credit also for bringing in Mason and Emery. their chemistry seems to be great as a tandem. 

Chemistry is not the problem for the poor start.  I blame the injuries, the schedule and Laviolette for not having this team ready to play when the season started.

And one last thing.  IF GAGNE is STILL SO GREAT .... why is it that no team has signed him to play this season?  -- get over him he is DONE.

yeah, the defense played ok during that short span of injuries last season, but really? Do you want to have Gervais on the roster full time over Coburn?  Lauridson still has areas to work on his game, I'd rather have a healthy Grossman.  Part of the difference between this year and last year has been Luke Schenn's play.  He was one of our best defensemen last spring and he has been one of our worst defenders this fall. He has improved the last few games.  `

I really don't think Holmgren messed at all with the Chemistry on defense we have the same players this season as last season and some of those are the same from the season before.  Most often it is the forwards not back checking which cause defensive breakdowns leading to goals for the opposition. 

Get over Jagr, yeah he helped out Giroux when he was here.  We won nothing with Jagr, Boston won nothing with Jagr.  Giroux is capable of playing well with other forwards as he has done so in the past.

There are areas where Holmgren is to blame, but those mistakes are mostly with contracts, no movement clauses and terms.  He also should have fired Laviolette at the end of last season.  I think he helped the team by bringing Vinny in.  Streit has been decent, but I"m not infavor of his contract.  Give Holmgren credit also for bringing in Mason and Emery. their chemistry seems to be great as a tandem. 

Chemistry is not the problem for the poor start.  I blame the injuries, the schedule and Laviolette for not having this team ready to play when the season started.

And one last thing.  IF GAGNE is STILL SO GREAT .... why is it that no team has signed him to play this season?  -- get over him he is DONE.

This.   Especially the last line!

I missed this last night.   Are you saying there is nothing in between playing as you describe (which frankly indicates not actually watching the past several weeks) and winning the Stanley Cup?  Were there 29 teams that played like crap last year and should fire everything and one team that won the Cup?     

My request was to describe current reality, not swing all the way to the other end of the silly spectrum.

it's been 40 years since the flyers won a cup, that's the reason why i dont believe this team will win a cup and the fact the roster is made of the same players that are so inconsistent  even before lavy came here i dont care how well they play now because they play great games then play like crap the next, i just want a clean slate, gm fired, players contracts removed, players that actually want to win.

it's been 40 years since the flyers won a cup, that's the reason why i dont believe this team will win a cup and the fact the roster is made of the same players that are so inconsistent  even before lavy came here i dont care how well they play now because they play great games then play like crap the next, i just want a clean slate, gm fired, players contracts removed, players that actually want to win.

There are four (4) players here who were on the roster before Laviolette arrived.

I honestly had a hard time getting past this, but I figured if I was going to respond to your post I had to read the whole thing. I don't comprehend how you can say "As much as Lavy deserves all the blame, I'm going to go ahead and blame the GM too." Come again?

No argument there.

Homer added a lot of veterans to the mix during the Richards/Carter era. Timonen and Pronger were huge acquisitions. Pronger arguably put them over the hump in terms of making it to the finals. The youth also thought he was a big meanie and there was a division in the locker room. Homer has made a lot of mistakes with contracts, but to say he didn't add anyone is untrue.

I think we should probably stick with reality and, therefore, solutions compatible with that.  I would like to see a first pairing defenseman and another scoring winger.  Maybe a toughfighter, but that's probably unnecessary.  Otherwise, as much as it shocks me, the new coach is actually getting them to play fairly cohesively.  Without a little more skill on the wing and at defense, there is probably a ceiling for them that is well below winning a Cup (barring incredible luck).    It's still a work in progress.

• Like 2

I agree with your disagreement.

They've looked like a totally different team literally overnight. From the devils game to the oilers game. I happened that quickly.

They looked good gain at the islanders and I mean that more than just the 5 goals. They had serious chemistry. Then it shockingly fell apart. From the caps debacle to the collapse against the canes to the complete rock bottom against the devils.

But they seemed to find something f at rock bottom though. I do think it seems to spread out from Giroux. He changed immediately. That oilers game, he just changed. Flicked a switch. Jake, Simmonds, Schenn all followed.

I think Berube is shifting the lines smarter now too.

I do t see Streit out there in situations where he can eff the whole thing up by falling over much anymore

Coburn has really stepped up too. Though I was always in his corner this year -he and coots are the goats I love to defend.

Hopefully it continues and grows but the last 4 games they've looked a lot like a team with chemistry and jump.

Even in wnpg. They made no excuses when they easily could have. Different time zone in the arctic fourth game in a week... No wonder they dragged in the third. But they fought it off and just could t get it done in OT and they owned up to that.

I'm liking them more and hating them less!