Local radio jerk says Sabres worst ever

Buffalo Rick

A guy that is trying to bait me into calling, and I have not called in a long time, is saying these Sabres are the worst team ever.  No they are not.  They are bad but not the worst ever.  The two worst teams in modern post 1965 or so, would be first the Colorado Rockies with Don Cherry and then the Cleveland Barons.  No doubt in my mind.  Edmonton has had some recent teams just as bad.  If they did not have Miller, it probably would be alot more ugly.   I am with Ted, build around Miller.  We are loaded with picks.  And top ones. No way will they be this bad next year.  They will not allow it.  If the post of one of the members in the Miller thread is true, Dudley is out of play.  Well that sucks.  His heart would have been here over Montreal.  So who makes the most sense now?  I would give Wayne Gretsky a shot

They may not be the worst ever. But this article makes some valid points that they are tracking to be one of the worst teams of all time.

Hopefully the link works-posting from my phone.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/is-buffalo-the-worst-team-in-the-nhls-three-point-game-era/article15678792/?service=mobile

They are historically bad. Not just wins and losses. They are challenging the lowest goal total ever. They have destroyed their number one draft pick. They are epically bad. Worst ever? Not sure but they absolutely belong in the conversation.

1974-75 Capitals were the all time worst team, not even open to debate. worst goal differential ever, one player, Bill Mickelson was -82. seven others were at least -50.  four more were at least -40.

THEY scored 181 goals

THEY gave up 443 goals.

one goalie, Ron Low was 8-36 with a 5.45 goals against 

The other Michel Belhumer went 0-24-3

They one exactly one game all year on the road.

In the draft they chose something named Greg Joly who went on to a forgettable career over Wilf Paiement and Hall of Famer Clark Gillies.

Worst team ever. Sabres are bad but a little perspective. The Capitals were hands down the worst ever.

@DaGreatGazoo

Thanks for the link, that changes the conversation completely. Worst team in the three point era, different conversation and only Ryan Miller gives them a chance. On pace for 132 goals in a year in which scoring is up. Yeah, just might be.

You just mentioned what I was going to say to you in response to your capitals post: 180+ goals to 130. That's just ridiculous. The radio show I was listening to only went back 20 years but the sabres were by far on pace for the worst in terms of goals scored.

I wondered about the Caps team but now you covered that.

Like I said earlier, there are a few candidates for worst team -- I actually had the Caps team in mind--but the sabres are right there.

1974-75 Capitals were the all time worst team, not even open to debate. worst goal differential ever, one player, Bill Mickelson was -82. seven others were at least -50.  four more were at least -40.

THEY scored 181 goals

THEY gave up 443 goals.

one goalie, Ron Low was 8-36 with a 5.45 goals against 

The other Michel Belhumer went 0-24-3

They one exactly one game all year on the road.

In the draft they chose something named Greg Joly who went on to a forgettable career over Wilf Paiement and Hall of Famer Clark Gillies.

Worst team ever. Sabres are bad but a little perspective. The Capitals were hands down the worst ever.

We beat them 15-3 that year.  Yes they were bad but I still pick the Colorado Rockies and Cleveland Barons?  Tough to say.  

I think you should call him...and what station is it?

WHAM 1180 in Rochester NY. He comes on after 6:10 pm or so.  Right around dinner time so that sucks.  He is arrogant.  I just emailed his sorry arse.  He knows me as Buffalo Rick.  Hates me.  Ha.  But the channel hosts love me because I give him hell.  I will call soon.  

@Hockey Junkie

The Rockies and Barons are both valid, they were so bad they were ran out of town with fan indifference as were my all time favorites, the Kansas City Scouts. But the Scouts at their worst managed 36 points, the Rockies averaged around 50 and the Barons in the 70s were not really THAT bad averaging 60 points just mismanaged into oblivion.

So the Scouts with 36 and 41 points were an expansion team at the exact same time as the Capitals, who managed a whopping 8 wins and 21 points, the worst record of all time, post expansion.

Two others that don't get the merit they are due are the expansion San Jose Sharks who were just plain awful and the LoseaPeg Jets after the Merger of the WHA who were raped by the NHL in the merger agreement and entered devoid of talent. Both were awful, God awful, almost apocalyptical awful. Bad of Biblical proportions.

But what the Sabres have over all the others is the others were expansion clubs, and had valid excuses for sucking so bad. Scouts, Capitals, Jets, Sharks all were new to the league. The Sabres are inexcusable for their ineptitude, they cannot blame a poor talent pool or anything else, just awful management. A mismanaged club with a solid fan base that deserves much better. The Sabres may deserve the honor simply because unlike the others who were at the mercy of other clubs in an expansion draft the Sabres have no such excuse.

• Like 1

@Hockey Junkie

The Rockies and Barons are both valid, they were so bad they were ran out of town with fan indifference as were my all time favorites, the Kansas City Scouts. But the Scouts at their worst managed 36 points, the Rockies averaged around 50 and the Barons in the 70s were not really THAT bad averaging 60 points just mismanaged into oblivion.

So the Scouts with 36 and 41 points were an expansion team at the exact same time as the Capitals, who managed a whopping 8 wins and 21 points, the worst record of all time, post expansion.

Two others that don't get the merit they are due are the expansion San Jose Sharks who were just plain awful and the LoseaPeg Jets after the Merger of the WHA who were raped by the NHL in the merger agreement and entered devoid of talent. Both were awful, God awful, almost apocalyptical awful. Bad of Biblical proportions.

But what the Sabres have over all the others is the others were expansion clubs, and had valid excuses for sucking so bad. Scouts, Capitals, Jets, Sharks all were new to the league. The Sabres are inexcusable for their ineptitude, they cannot blame a poor talent pool or anything else, just awful management. A mismanaged club with a solid fan base that deserves much better. The Sabres may deserve the honor simply because unlike the others who were at the mercy of other clubs in an expansion draft the Sabres have no such excuse.

Great post.  

I wonder if that is jsffour...he used to post on ptpitn and philly.com and worked on one of the philly am stations that went under......

jsffour was a great guy I thought. Whatever happened to him? I didn't think he had a "radio" voice though.

Great post.  

Yes mismanaged is true.  They put more faith in Regier  than Ruff and paid the price.  So now this is what happens when you clean house.  you have to suffer for a period but having 17 number one and two round picks is not too shabby to start over with.  It makes it fixable.  Ruff is doing a good job in Dallas as I just see they beat Chicago the other night and are doing a number on the Flyers, speaking of mismanagement.  They may want to consider some changes as well.  Yes we are screwed now.  But if they get the right GM it can be fixed with all of these picks they got for Vanek, Pommer and Roy

• Like 1

Yes mismanaged is true.  They put more faith in Regier  than Ruff and paid the price.  So now this is what happens when you clean house.  you have to suffer for a period but having 17 number one and two round picks is not too shabby to start over with.  It makes it fixable.  Ruff is doing a good job in Dallas as I just see they beat Chicago the other night and are doing a number on the Flyers, speaking of mismanagement.  They may want to consider some changes as well.  Yes we are screwed now.  But if they get the right GM it can be fixed with all of these picks they got for Vanek, Pommer and Roy

Yeah, I agree with all that.   By the way, the Philly-Dallas game was really weird.  Philly played a decent road game the entire game (and had to kill a 7 minute penalty kill after 1 minute in).  All of the sudden they disappear and Dallas scores three in 62 seconds.

But Buffalo, yeah, it may take a couple years but they seem to be putting some good defensemen in their system and have a ton of picks.   So while this year's team is a complete disaster, the future looks like it should be okay so long as they draft and develop wisely (unlike the Oilers, for example).

@ruxpin

The Oilers biggest problems are 1. They never lucked into a superstar with any of their #1s

2. Most of those high profile picks are basically the same type of player

3. Until Nurse develops they don't have much of a D

4. No goaltending

5. It's near impossible to lure FAs to Edmonton unless you overpay...and even then it's still hard.

They've got some talent up front...IF Nurse ends up how he should and they find a goalie they'll turn things around.

I don't think Hall qualifies as a super star, but if he is not, he soon will be. At 22 years of age, he's averaging 1.1 pts per game....that could easily go up to 1.3-1.4 a game as the season progresses. I'd say a modest estimation on his output may put him at 90 pts for the year....not to shabby for a 22 year old kid. Should be interesting to see if he can take it to the next level and try for triple digits for the 14-15 season.

I don't think Hall qualifies as a super star, but if he is not, he soon will be. At 22 years of age, he's averaging 1.1 pts per game....that could easily go up to 1.3-1.4 a game as the season progresses. I'd say a modest estimation on his output may put him at 90 pts for the year....not to shabby for a 22 year old kid. Should be interesting to see if he can take it to the next level and try for triple digits for the 14-15 season.

Too bad it's in Edmonton and won't matter, huh?

@ruxpin  Yes, to many holes to fill, to little time to do it. They need all the kids to mature around the same time, be able to sign them all AND somehow get a goalie who is ready when all their primes hit...and pray Nurse and a few others are ready for prime time at the same interval.