The real villian- Brooks Orpik

yave1964

@yave1964 - refusing to fight because you delivered a legal hit does not make you a coward or a villain, sorry. I happen to really like both Orpik and Kronwall. Two good, hard-hitting defensemen. There is no reason Orpik should be expected to fight anyone in that situation just like there is no reason to think that Kronwall should have to fight every time he lays someone out. There is no such "code". If there is any code that would be relevant to the situation it would be that tough guys like Thorton don't fight non-tough guys like Orpik. Thorton and Neal are the only villains in the situation. And although I didn't see it, if Thorton did try to instigate a fight with Orpik then I agree with Kerry Fraser, the officials screwed up by not giving him 10 to think things over.

PS: Holy crap. I have 3,000 posts here? I need to get a life.

Edited by JackStraw

I'll go back to the Grypa hit on Eller.  Grypa got an interference major,  Orpik nothing.

I still blame the refs for the non call.

I would have been a borderline interference at best. Should players fight every time the officials miss a call? The sport really would turn into a boxing match with occasional spurts of hockey.

I would have been a borderline interference at best. Should players fight every time the officials miss a call? The sport really would turn into a boxing match with occasional spurts of hockey.

As I've posted above, I didn't see where Eriksson had possession of the puck.  The game should be called by the wording of the rule in the rulebook, imo.  

As I've posted above, I didn't see where Eriksson had possession of the puck. The game should be called by the wording of the rule in the rulebook, imo.

Fine. But the officials are human and sometimes they're going to miss calls. That doesn't give the players license to go all commando. If it's something really egregious, a clear intent to injure kind of thing then maybe it's understandable. But this kind of non-call happens in virtually every game. Thornton over-reacted to what was basically a hockey play, and based on some of his comments it seems like he realizes it:

"It's hard for me to talk about right now. I can't say I'm sorry enough. I'm sure I'll be criticized, but it's true," he said. "I felt awful. It wasn't my intention. I know Brooksie. I've gotten to know him the last seven years here. I skated with him during the lockout. I texted him a couple of times. It's not what I wanted to see or anyone to see."

Edited by JackStraw

Fine. But the officials are human and sometimes they're going to miss calls. That doesn't give the players license to go all commando. If it's something really egregious, a clear intent to injure kind of thing then maybe it's understandable. But this kind of non-call happens in virtually every game. Thornton over-reacted to what was basically a hockey play, and based on some of his comments it seems like he realizes it:

"It's hard for me to talk about right now. I can't say I'm sorry enough. I'm sure I'll be criticized, but it's true," he said. "I felt awful. It wasn't my intention. I know Brooksie. I've gotten to know him the last seven years here. I skated with him during the lockout. I texted him a couple of times. It's not what I wanted to see or anyone to see."

Oh I agree Thornton  over reacted.  It's all a part to of the misconception that we need players on rosters to enforce the game that the refs miss.  I've wanted the thuggery out of the game for a long time.  

Oh I agree Thornton over reacted. It's all a part to of the misconception that we need players on rosters to enforce the game that the refs miss. I've wanted the thuggery out of the game for a long time.

If Neal had stayed on the ice instead of running like a wuss and answered for his cowardly hit on Marchand, Orpick would not have even been challenged. Also funny to note just how quick Orpick healed and was able to travel with the team. To his credit, that was a Marchand-esque performance. ;)

I am just picking on Polaris team because he outscored me 13-0 in fantasy hockey yesterday and had two wins to my none from his goalies and is now beating me this week. I really couldn't care less about the whole issue just mad at the Penguins because they are Polaris team, lol.

Yet with what... 8 guys on the ice today you still came back and cleaned me out! Criminey!!

If Neal had stayed on the ice instead of running like a wuss and answered for his cowardly hit on Marchand, Orpick would not have even been challenged. Also funny to note just how quick Orpick healed and was able to travel with the team. To his credit, that was a Marchand-esque performance. ;)

So you think it was an on demand concussion?? Lol. Thornton wasn't going to go after Neal... Orpik was his target from the start. Now you're just saying silly **** to stir the pot. Lol

So you think it was an on demand concussion?? Lol. Thornton wasn't going to go after Neal... Orpik was his target from the start. Now you're just saying silly **** to stir the pot. Lol

What else would you expect from that one? ;)

It is a good question...why did Thornton go after Orpik instead of waiting until he and Neal were on the ice at the same time. The game was in Boston so Julien could have easily made that happen having the last change. it was clear he kneed Marchand. A penalty was called and Marchand could be seen yapping about it on the bench. 

My hunch is Thornton was reacting to Ericksson having to leave the game vs. Marchand being OK. 

What else would you expect from that one? ;)

It is a good question...why did Thornton go after Orpik instead of waiting until he and Neal were on the ice at the same time. The game was in Boston so Julien could have easily made that happen having the last change. it was clear he kneed Marchand. A penalty was called and Marchand could be seen yapping about it on the bench.

My hunch is Thornton was reacting to Ericksson having to leave the game vs. Marchand being OK.

Absolutely! Did anyone else notice Thornton was the one who helped Eriksson get to the bench? It was never about Neal, it was opportunity on Orpik.

Do you mean after the hit from Thornton?  Orpik was just placed on IR today.

Come on, don't try mixing in facts into an discussion like this. Obviously he's only going on IR to make it SEEM like he was hurt so that a key player, Shawn Thorton, will be out for longer for the B's. :ph34r:

Do you mean after the hit from Thornton?  Orpik was just placed on IR today.

That remark was nothing but stirring the pot gazoo. I am pretty sure he(Orpick) banged his head on the ice pretty good and did have his bell rung. My bad, I was confusing him with Kris "Head Flail" Letang.

That remark was nothing but stirring the pot gazoo. I am pretty sure he(Orpick) banged his head on the ice pretty good and did have his bell rung. My bad, I was confusing him with Kris "Head Flail" Letang.

My bad!! LMAO!  I should better than to come on here before I've had a few cups of coffee to wake up in the AM!  

Stirring the Pot? Really Flyerrod, me being one of those dumb western Pa. bumpkins, I'd have never guessed.

Amd Gazoo, PLEASE don't come in here and try to make any kind of actual sense. You will simply confuse said Westerm Pa. bumpkin by being an actual level headed sensible Flyers fan. That we can not stand, no we will not! :ph34r:

• Like 1

Finally I get to put my 2 cents in.  I finally got around to watching all the video of the incidents that happened in the Pens / Bruins game. IMO Thornton will probably get at least 10-15 games.  My reasoning is as follows:

• When Thornton went after Orpik, it was after the Neal hit to Marchand. If Thornton was really concerned about his teammate, then he should have gone after Neal, who just kneed Marchand a couple of seconds ago.  That is not the time or place to go after Orpik.  What Thornton did IMO was completely premeditated.  The incident at hand called for him to go after Neal, not Orpik.
  • Thornton coming up to Orpik intially appears no different than what happens many times throughout the league when you have a gathering of players.....HOWEVER.....
  • After watching and re-watching the video replay, IMO, it appears that when Thornton grabs Orpik to pull him, it appears to me that Thornton took his right leg and tried to trip Orpik down to the ice.  That alone in my book is a cheap shot.
  • Then once Orpik is down on the ice, again, IMO it appears that Thornton purposely slams Orpiks head to the ice, along with more shots to Orpiks face.

I'm all for standing up for players and your teammates, however, what Thornton did was just plain goonery/thuggery/vicious..any other adverb you can find.  There is a time and place for everything and that was not the time or place.  Erikkson probably told Thornton to get Orpik, but at that time, Orpik was not immediate threat.  IMO, Thornton's actions were premeditated since he was hell bent on going after Orpik alone.  In summary, Thornton's actions were premeditated, it appears he tried to take the legs out from under Orpik and it appears that he purposely slams Orpiks head to the ice.  Therefore I believe the combination of these actions should be 10-15 games, 

Now for Neal.  He is no angel either and his actions are just as dangerous.  I personally would have given him 8-10 games.  After watching the video replay, IMO, Neal could have tried to have the opportunity to avoid Marchant but chose not to do so.  As Shanny stated on his video explanation, Neal turns his skate into Marchant which could be interpreted as a deliberate act.  Many players today when they see a player on the ice try to avoid that player as much s possible.  Even if Neal consciously did not intend to knee Marchant, it could be deemed careless in not trying to avoid him.

Neal's hit was bad.  Questionable as far as if he had intent or not.  Thornton's action's were worse.  I believe he had the premeditated intent in going after Orpik and making him pay for the earlier hit. 

Anyway those are my thoughts.......