Streit

brelic

@Polaris922

He's (hopefully) not as bad as he's looked. We could pick just about anyone on Philly this year north of the goalies and say the same thing. But as you know, I never liked the signing.

I would have prefered them to have traded for Shattenkirk before tbe Blues resigned him he can do everything Streit is suppose to do but better!!! But oh well missed the boat on that one....I think Shatty even signed for less than Streit which was a helluva deal...

@JackStraw

I won't argue for a moment Timonen is the better defensive player.

@radoran

Breaking those numbers down still leaves Streit's at over double Timonen's goals per game production even strength. To me that's "far" better production.

I'll grant you that he only has an edge in assists, but you and I define production quite differently. In a league where the top goal scoring defenseman is hitting 19, 3 or 4 a year is significant to me.

Edited by Polaris922

@Polaris922

Well, in the past two seasons, it's actually triple (seven to two) even strength goals.

I don't know that we define production differently as much as have a quibbling disagreement about where Streit is in his development.

I don't see Streit as the 07-08 or 08-09 player, I see him as the 12-13 and 13-14 player. And I think that's the player that the Flyers have for the next three seasons on a 35+ contract with a higher cap hit than Chris Pronger's.

Even then, in the last full season Streit had seven total goals (3 PP) which ties him with Andrej Meszaros in the goal department. And Meszaros had one fewer PPG and played 20 fewer games.

@Polaris922

Well, in the past two seasons, it's actually triple (seven to two) even strength goals.

I don't know that we define production differently as much as have a quibbling disagreement about where Streit is in his development.

I don't see Streit as the 07-08 or 08-09 player, I see him as the 12-13 and 13-14 player. And I think that's the player that the Flyers have for the next three seasons on a 35+ contract with a higher cap hit than Chris Pronger's.

Even then, in the last full season Streit had seven total goals (3 PP) which ties him with Andrej Meszaros in the goal department. And Meszaros had one fewer PPG and played 20 fewer games.

The question remains what's wrong with him in Philly?

Players get older, they don't have the same skillset. Happens.

Happening to Timonen right now.

hope that Streit turns it around and gets back to what he was. I'm not entirely sanguine about the prospect, however...

The general offensive struggles of the team have no doubt been part of it. Nobody thought he was Bobby Orr and would just come in and carry the team on his back. And Berube has stressed team defense which is probably slowing things down offensively as well. And he's getting older. I think his production will pick up eventually, along with the rest of the team. Then again, maybe I'm just an incurable optimist.

• Like 1

As for the older part hrs not THAT old yet, and his production is half of what it should be. Something's amiss... Maybe it's that the whole team is off right now. I just can't believe Streit's ability disappeared over one summer.

There's clearly more than just the "one summer" aspect - and he's not "as bad" as the team has been.

But he's a year and a half younger than Timonen and Timonen isn't the guy who had the fourth highest point total among defenseman last year. After just one summer.

Streit's better than he's played this season, but IMO he's not going to be as good as he was.

• Like 1

There's clearly more than just the "one summer" aspect - and he's not "as bad" as the team has been.

But he's a year and a half younger than Timonen and Timonen isn't the guy who had the fourth highest point total among defenseman last year. After just one summer.

Streit's better than he's played this season, but IMO he's not going to be as good as he was.

Who is after 35? Which is the main reason you don't sign guys this age to longterm contracts....again!