Heeter heating up for the Phantoms....

jammer2

The entire Phantom team is trending upwards, enjoying a similar push as the parent Flyers having won 4 in a row and have scratched their way to 3rd in their division.

Interesting little stat here, Heeter sits top in the AHL with .936 Save Percentage and is in the top 3 with a GGA of under 2.10....some nice stats, really nice. Maybe, just maybe we already have a legit replacement for Emery right in house. It would be unFlyer like, but perhaps we can not block his way and not sign a typical back up tender...assuming of course, they deem him ready.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=699132

Why not leave him down there for another year or two and see what he and Mason have over time? Both guys need to be in net, not riding the NHL pine.

can't wait too too long, the guy is 25.  no rush, really, but if his career is to be that of an NHL backup, you'd think it'd have to start sometime soon.

can't wait too too long, the guy is 25. no rush, really, but if his career is to be that of an NHL backup, you'd think it'd have to start sometime soon.

Also true, didn't realize he was that old. Maybe just one more year to see if he can do it again?

can't wait too too long, the guy is 25.  no rush, really, but if his career is to be that of an NHL backup, you'd think it'd have to start sometime soon.

Given how stellar - at times stupendous - Mason has been and the fact that he has been an unquestioned team's MVP this season, this may be a moot point, really.  If this guy plays, say, 15-20 games a season, will this really be any more beneficial to him than playing on a regular basis in the AHL?  I am not arguing either case; just asking.

@Mad Dog

i was just thinking that heeter, as good as he's been this season in the A, isn't likely to be a starting goalie in the NHL.  his value to the flyers is going to be as a back up, if anything.  as such, it would make sense to me to get him started in that role sooner rather than later.  at 25, i'm not sure how much more time in the A moves him forward.  if the idea is to have him eventually sit behind mason, may as well get him sitting.  let emery walk away this summer and plan on bumping heeter up.

or, not.  i dunno what the plan is.  just, like i said, i don't think many people are thinking this guy is going to challenge mason for the starting gig, so i don't see a lot of point to worrying about his development outside of the only job the flyers are likely to ever have for him.

Be nice to see what he can do in the NHL for a few games at least. Throw him in against the Buffalos and Floridas of the league. If he doesn't look too bad maybe we have our new backup.

At 25 it's the right time to find out if he's the next (late era) Brian Boucher or Michael Leighton or Neil Little.

If he's got more upside than that, all the better!

This is a nice FA find for Homer* even if it turns out to be just the Phantoms' goalie for the next five years.

* or whoever finally gets "credit" for it :D

Why not leave him down there for another year or two and see what he and Mason have over time? Both guys need to be in net, not riding the NHL pine.

Well for one this is Stolarz last year of junior I'd guess and they'll want him to take the lions share of the starts for the Phantoms, and being a backup in the A wouldn't be developing him right, like someone already said maybe he will be penciled in the backup Mason next year at his age I think its now or never...he can handle it.