Phantom stats....not very impressive

jammer2

Just took a look at the Phantom stats, not very impressive at all. There seems to be a distinct lack of scoring down there in  Adirondack.

http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay.php?type=skaters&team_id=313

Some thoughts.

1) The only one who is close to a point per game is Jason Akeson, with 35 pts in 40 games. With the Flyers struggling to score, perhaps he is worth a look. My big problem there is, he looks like a tweener. That is, he plays a top 6 forward type game, but does not have the physical attributes to play on the 3rd or 4th lines in Philly. Don't see him displacing any top 6 forwards on the Flyers, so unless there is a sudden burst of injuries, can't see him making the jump, also...not a great skater, so that does not help his cause. Add in the fact he's a -12 at the AHL level and it does not look good for him having a pro career.

2) Next in line is Chris Newbury with 25 pts in 32 games. We all know he is a bit older and will never be a legit points contributor at the NHL level. He could be a call up if toughness is required, then his respectable AHL numbers could help his cause. His 112 PIM are par for the course.

3)Ben Holmstrom and Petr Straka's 19 pts each are very meh, but at least Straka is on the younger side and early in his pro career. Ben is now 26 and dangerously close to being a career minor leaguer. Last years brief call up might have been the swan song for Ben.

4)Sitting 8th in Phantom scoring is Tye McGinn. This is very disappointing. Some (including myself) see a bit of a power forward type in Tye, but if your not lighting it up in the A after a few years, the chances of doing it in the NHL are slim to none. What once looked promising is now flirting with mediocrity.

5) Nick Cousins has an underwhelming 4 goals and 9 assists in 33 games. It *is* his first year pro, have to remember there is a learning curve, but even 1st year kids have better stats than this if they hope to make the leap to the next level eventually. I suspect his skating could be one of the problems.

6) Another prospect who is not tearing things up is Marcel Noebels. A pretty sad 1 goal and 5 assists in 29 games. I really thought he would score at this level. The chances of him getting called up with these kind of horrid stats is nil.

7) Oliver Laurisden is not an offensive type of d-man, so the fact he only has 5 assists does not matter much. He does lead the team in plus/minus with a +7, so that is something to build on. He is also showing his physical side with 106 PIM, which is promising.

8) Of course, one of the lone shining stars is goalie Cal Heeter. He is among the league leaders with a 2.17 GGA and a sparkling .927 save %. The fact that almost every Phantom is a minus with this type of outstanding goaltending speaks volumes as to how very crappy this team is.

http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_goalies&season_id=43&tournament_id=0&division_id=-1

Overall, you can't put a lot of stock in the point totals because this Phantom team might be our worst ever AHL squad....literally no depth there and even the top pp looks putrid.

Just took a look at the Phantom stats, not very impressive at all. There seems to be a distinct lack of scoring down there in Adirondack.

Some thoughts.

1) The only one who is close to a point per game is Jason Akeson, with 35 pts in 40 games. With the Flyers struggling to score, perhaps he is worth a look. My big problem there is, he looks like a tweener. That is, he plays a top 6 forward type game, but does not have the physical attributes to play on the 3rd or 4th lines in Philly. Don't see him displacing any top 6 forwards on the Flyers, so unless there is a sudden burst of injuries, can't see him making the jump, also...not a great skater, so that does not help his cause. Add in the fact he's a -12 at the AHL level and it does not look good for him having a pro career.

2) Next in line is Chris Newbury with 25 pts in 32 games. We all know he is a bit older and will never be a legit points contributor at the NHL level. He could be a call up if toughness is required, then his respectable AHL numbers could help his cause. His 112 PIM are par for the course.

3)Ben Holmstrom and Petr Straka's 19 pts each are very meh, but at least Straka is on the younger side and early in his pro career. Ben is now 26 and dangerously close to being a career minor leaguer. Last years brief call up might have been the swan song for Ben.

4)Sitting 8th in Phantom scoring is Tye McGinn. This is very disappointing. Some (including myself) see a bit of a power forward type in Tye, but if your not lighting it up in the A after a few years, the chances of doing it in the NHL are slim to none. What once looked promising is now flirting with mediocrity.

5) Nick Cousins has an underwhelming 4 goals and 9 assists in 33 games. It *is* his first year pro, have to remember there is a learning curve, but even 1st year kids have better stats than this if they hope to make the leap to the next level eventually. I suspect his skating could be one of the problems.

6) Another prospect who is not tearing things up is Marcel Noebels. A pretty sad 1 goal and 5 assists in 29 games. I really thought he would score at this level. The chances of him getting called up with these kind of horrid stats is nil.

7) Oliver Laurisden is not an offensive type of d-man, so the fact he only has 5 assists does not matter much. He does lead the team in plus/minus with a +7, so that is something to build on. He is also showing his physical side with 106 PIM, which is promising.

8) Of course, one of the lone shining stars is goalie Cal Heeter. He is among the league leaders with a 2.17 GGA and a sparkling .927 save %. The fact that almost every Phantom is a minus with this type of outstanding goaltending speaks volumes as to how very crappy this team is.

http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_goalies&season_id=43&tournament_id=0&division_id=-1

Overall, you can't put a lot of stock in the point totals because this Phantom team might be our worst ever AHL squad....literally no depth there and even the top pp looks putrid.

Nice write up. Thanks. Things don't loo so great down there. Nick cousins really surprises me. I get it is 1st pro year but his stats are putrid. Won't give up on him quite yet. I wonder how Haag / Morin / and Laughton are doing in juniors?

Not a big shocker after Holmgren traded away 5 -1st rounders and 6-2nd rounders since he's been gm. (Not to mention all the other picks) Pretty hard to have a quality farm system when you trade most of your draft picks away for players that are all retired now. 

@pilldoc

Laughton is having a great season. Hagg and Morin are both having ok seasons. Hagg is playing above junior so his 1g 5 a are understandable.

Nice write up. Thanks. Things don't loo so great down there. Nick cousins really surprises me. I get it is 1st pro year but his stats are putrid. Won't give up on him quite yet. I wonder how Haag / Morin / and Laughton are doing in juniors?

There is a guy on hfboards who has been following Hagg closely. His reports say that Hagg is one of Modo's best (if not the best) defensemen. And has fc mentioned, this is in the Swedish Elite League, not juniors. He's not lighting it up but it sounds like they are using him in all situations and he's been solid. I could see him coming over to play in the AHL next year. It's probably a step down talent-wise but might prepare him for the North American game. 

The only one who is close to a point per game is Jason Akeson, with 35 pts in 40 games

Hard to tell which is related to which...he has solid numbers for his career and like said despite almost having noone helping him. In 178 games played he has 143 points that is not to bad with zero help and bad goaltending....so that is why i saw call him up put him on the 4th line and see what he can do, just throw him a bone for being a good soldier.

Some say he is a career AHLer which maybe the case so with that why the hell does anyone care if you call him up and he can't cut it and it hurt his confidence.....he is career AHLer supposedly....the hell with it at least try it. It want cost any resources to waive one of the many bums and see if not return him just like the 700 times they did it with McGinn.

Ben Holmstrom maybe an upgrade over some of the current 4th liners now CVD hasn't impressed me and Hall despited his decent FO numbers is slooooooow as hell and can't keep up with the play really.

But there isn't a a whole lot else to pick from down there.

And it's sad that Nick Cousins seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. He also may just be a career AHLer...it's looking that way even to be fare it is his first AHL season i guess i expected more.

I believe Alt will get a long look this offseason and training camp they may give him a shot next year who know he certainly doesn't have a lot of competition here.

Strake may turn into something with more seasoning and better linemates...we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Oh well my 2 cents. 

Edited by OccamsRazor

I said in another thread that I'd love to see him as backup next year. There's no reason to let him rot in the minors. The guy is 25, like Mason, and if it's going to happen for him at the NHL level, this is around the time we need to find out.

It might be good to have a young guy like Heeter come in and push Mason. 

I'd like to see him with the Flyers again. Again, there's really no reason that he shouldn't be in the NHL except for the Flyers' logjam of band-aids. 

Thanks for the write up @jammer2!

@OccamsRazor  Yeah, I do believe Alt will be on a short list to be called up from the Phantoms next year, and has a slim (maybe 5%?) chance of making the team out of training camp. I should have mentioned him, an oversight on my part.

It's hard to put a finger on why promising kids like Cousins and Straka have struggled. There are a lot of variables here....from nagging injuries, the increased speed of the game from jrs or the ECHL in Noebels case. Sometimes they are not meshing with linemates, or being used in a role which does not flatter their skill sets. We'll have a much better understanding on these guys next year. It's either produce, or make way for the next group....which means retirement or ECHL bus trips.

@brelic  Having Heeter back up Mason would be perfect. He would finally get a chance to show what he can do it the show, and by all accounts...he deserves that break. It won't be easy though, 100% chance the Flyers will bring in a veteran back up to fill the void left by Emery. I'm thinking Stolarz might be in the picture, probably take over Heeters spot on the Phantoms, so the vet goalie brought in could help him in adjusting to the pro game down in the A. Having solid goaltending in the AHL is crucial, it at least potentially gives the kids confidence and does not allow them to get used to losing.

Would be really nice to get some solid back up play from Heeter though, he will make the minimum allowed by the CBA and allow money to be spent in other areas. I really think the Flyers missed the boat not signing the Canes current goalie Khobdolin. Not to mention he only has a one year deal for 800,000....he's a UFA next year, but his strong play might mean he gets a mutli year deal in the 1.5 mill range. He's every bit as good as Mason and would have pushed him...would have been a nice upgrade over Emery....but perhaps Heeter profits off this missed move, who knows? As much as I'd love to see Heeter fill the void, a veteran presence to guard against Mason imploding might be the right move. Khobodlin is the real deal, a potential star who might be sitting there for the taking for a very respectable price next summer.

It's debatable, but I thought Oliver was ready last year. Maybe another year of seasoning will help him out, but if he is stuck down in the AHL again next year, the Flyers are stunting his growth. I see a solid 3-4 guy eventually, can't wait to see him develop and grow as a Flyer!

It's hard to put a finger on why promising kids like Cousins and Straka have struggled.

their main centers suck...Newbury (25 pts 36gms), Ben Homstrom(19 pts 40gms) Nick Cousins (13 pts 39gms) and college free agent Kyle Flannigan (6pts 30+gms)are all weak center a perceived strength of the organization.

Then it seems zero size and skill on the wings...Brandon Alderson (10pts 36gms) Noebels (6pts 27gms), Straka (19pts 36gms +3) Tye McGinn (16 pts 33gms -11) Akeson ( 35pts 40gms -12) Rob Bordson (18 pts 40gms) and converted Dman Matt Mangene (5 pts 36gms) all not to great of talent hence the crappy stats.

Mostly like FC stated Homer traded away all of his eventual farm filler and had to scourge everyone he could just to assemble a AHL and it shows. I guess they should be just lucky they are still even in the race.

I'd like to see him with the Flyers again. Again, there's really no reason that he shouldn't be in the NHL except for the Flyers' logjam of band-aids. 

Yes i agree he and Schenn had pretty decent chemistry last year i thought when all the injuries took place it just seemed they complemented each other pretty well...more chemistry i've seen Schenn display with anyone...so like everyone why the hell not he is right under their nose and he is old enough to handle it. Time to throw these kids some bones.

At least look right here before they start ripping apar thte team and doing some desperate crazy trade....Heeter would be a decent backup maybe and he is old enough to like you said if not now then when?????????

Just took a look at the Phantom stats, not very impressive at all. There seems to be a distinct lack of scoring down there in  Adirondack.

Some thoughts.

Thanks for the write-up; it is as others note a farm club depleted by trade and what I suspect is second tier scouting.  Heeter's performance may be of note if Emery is traded away by the deadline. Candidly, it may be time to stop the rotation and give Mason the reins to see if he is the real deal and have a backup like Heeter ready if needed. 

I would bring Lauridsen up sooner than later.

Thanks again,

Howie

@Howie58  As fc stated, I blame the trading of draft picks more than the scouting...but like all teams, the Flyers have had their fair share of duds in recent history.

The problem with trading Emery at the deadline is the potential of a Mason injury. I just can't see a team like the Flyers leaving themselves open and having a AHL goalie with no NHL experience to guide the way though the playoff push. The Flyers are always careful at anticipating the worst case scenario....which is why I think Emery stays put.

Jammer:

Don't forget Yann Danis. He has his cup of coffee with the big leagues; I suspect either he could be called up and/or Heeter get's called and they leave it with Danis or "other."  Candidly, at some point this franchise may need to bring up a minor league player in goal to show it can do so.  Nitty was our last youngin brought up for any length of time...I think.

Peace,

Howie

Jammer:

Don't forget Yann Danis. He has his cup of coffee with the big leagues; I suspect either he could be called up and/or Heeter get's called and they leave it with Danis or "other."  Candidly, at some point this franchise may need to bring up a minor league player in goal to show it can do so.  Nitty was our last youngin brought up for any length of time...I think.

Peace,

Howie

Phantoms up 2-0 end of the first Bourdon his 2nd assist in his 2nd game back, assist of McGinn first goal, Akeson put them up 2-0 Straka with the assist....Heeter in net...

here is the websites for the scores...

theahl.com

http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1011730

Edited by OccamsRazor

Jammer:

I am almost tempted to start a thread along these lines. I'd argue that if we've signed Mason long-term and could get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for renting out Emery, I'd do it. Mason may or may not be the answer but this signing tells me "other" wouldn't be playing more than 20 or so games a year if indeed Mason is the starter (OK, maybe 20-25 for other in the New NHL). At 1.8 million, Emery may be a costly backup. But I am no GM.

Peace,

Howie

As fc stated, I blame the trading of draft picks more than the scouting...but like all teams, the Flyers have had their fair share of duds in recent history.

What i would love to know yet i can never really find are the Phantom D pairs who plays with who it would be nice but i've found no luck.

I think the top pair is Alt and Ollie but i could be wrong.

After that i think it would be all guessing.....i also read (forgot where) Alt was one of Terry Murray favs just because he plays so smart.

So that is good to hear and see the words "defenseman' and "smart" in the same sentence...it's not a lot but i'll take some positive news.

@OccamsRazor  "..i also read (forgot where) Alt was one of Terry Murray favs just because he plays so smart."

That is the first thing I've heard positive or negative about Alt. I was a bit out of touch with the Phantoms, that's part of the reason I started this thread, get some discussion flowing on the kids in the A, I felt a bit out of the loop there, so it was good to get some research in. It would indeed be awesome if Alt played so great in training camp that he makes the team along with Oliver. It would be fun to watch those two progress at the NHL level. Really hoping that happens, promoting from within instead of signing a vet who is slightly better than Streit.

Jammer:

I am almost tempted to start a thread along these lines. I'd argue that if we've signed Mason long-term and could get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for renting out Emery, I'd do it. Mason may or may not be the answer but this signing tells me "other" wouldn't be playing more than 20 or so games a year if indeed Mason is the starter (OK, maybe 20-25 for other in the New NHL). At 1.8 million, Emery may be a costly backup. But I am no GM.

Peace,

Howie

Agree Howie you always seem to be on the pulse. I'am  afraid fan won't wait for a 2yr rebuild but might have to happen. this summer UFA's look grim. I think if you have a defensive like Kyle Orton where you can control you might be ok! 

Morin has 23 pts in 38 games, already besting last year's totals (16 pts in 46 games). He's still just an 18 year old kid, but at 6'6" and 206 lbs, he's huge. Rimouski Oceanic's site has him listed at 6'7" and 210.

http://www.oceanic.qc.ca/roster/show/id/8576

Watch the highlights from the Jan 4th game. Morin (55) gets a nice goal off a power blast and a nice assist.

http://www.oceanic.qc.ca/video/index/id/2bda113737ab12dfeb510913b090a89b