Meltzer on Shea Weber

brelic

I guess people never get tired of dreaming and pining for Shea Weber.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=58043

I want no part of Weber and the 12 remaining years for a player who will be 29 when next season starts. With the new cap penalties (cap recapture), it's a problem waiting to happen. Add to that what we'd have to give up to actually land Weber, and the cost is prohibitively high.

You could probably get Seth Jones for the same price or less because he's still unproven.

Over on CSN Philly, Tim Panaccio tackled the often-asked question of whether the Flyers might be able to trade for Nashville Predators superstar defenseman Shea Weber now that he is two seasons into the 14-year, $110 million contract triggered by Nashville matching the Flyers' offer sheet to Weber when he was a restricted free agent in the summer of 2012.

I get asked that question frequently, too. My take on it is different than Tim's.

First of all, I think the chances of Nashville trading Weber this summer are very, very slim. By this summer, the Preds will have already knocked off $41 million of the $110 million contract. When they matched the Flyers' front-loaded offer (with the lockout looming and the signing bonus portion owed regardless), they did so with the intention of keeping their franchise player for the long haul.

My view on Weber is that the Flyers took their best shot at getting him. They put together an offer sheet that required the Predators' owners to go outside the team's budget and use their personal wealth -- with the understanding they wouldn't recoup it but also knowing that NOT matching the offer would be akin to admitting their franchise can't compete.

Once the offer was matched, the Weber ship sailed. I think the chances of the Predators trading him now are very slim. Yes, they have some other good defensemen. Roman Josi is a very good player in his own right. Seth Jones is just in the infancy of a career with enormous potential. It's also true that the Predators lack scoring forwards. However, that is probably NOT going to come at the expense of trading Weber.

Now, let's suppose I'm reading the situation all wrong. Let's say that David Poile actually would entertain offers for Weber this summer. He has the single hardest commodity to get in hockey -- a bonafide franchise defenseman in his prime, and the player is signed for 12 years to come with an increasingly manageable real-dollar salary in the years to come. With the salary cap ceiling about to shoot up in seasons to come, the cap hit isn't even as much of an issue (actually, the floor is a bigger issue).

If Poile were to be willing to trade Weber, he could just about name his price. The Flyers would be just one of the teams with major interest. While I don't think Poile would avoid trading Weber to Philly "on principle" because of the offer sheet of two years ago, he's certainly not going to take a lesser offer from Philly than he would from other teams.

Personally, there is no one player on the Flyers -- and that includes Claude Giroux -- whom I would consider absolutely untouchable if I were a general manager with the chance to land Weber. That does not mean I WOULD trade Giroux. It means I'd talk about it depending on the structure of the trade.

If it's basically a straight one-for-one trade, I'd have to give it some serious thought (and not because I'm eager to trade my team's best forward). If the Predators want more, the answer would be no. However, as a frame of reference, when the Flyers acquired Mark Howe, they had to part with their top scoring forward, Ken Linseman along with other components.

As far as putting together a trade package for Weber, I disagree with Tim that Morin should be an untouchable in all discussions. Again, it depends on what other pieces would be moving around in the theoretical trade.

I dont see why the Preds would trade him after a near franchise crippling contract was given to Weber.  They invested so much in one player that it just does not make sense they would let him go but stranger things have happend (enter Carter and Richards).  If Weber becomes available I can see Homer standing at Piole's office door looking like a puppy dog ready to eat.  Poile is smart man and I really shudder when thinking of what Homer might do to land Weber. 

There are only two players that I would consider and untradable:  Giroux and Simmonds.  Yes, Simmonds.  He has a very favorable contract and is a guy that plays tough minutes.   We need wingers that can score and I would be really hesitant to trade him.  As for Giroux - he is the captain and this Team can ill-afford another blow up.   Giroux is here to stay - for better or worse. 

After Simmonds and G I would put everyone on the table.  Laughton, Morin (although very hesitant to do so) and everyone else.   Weber's length of contract is what scares me to hell but you would be getting a bona-fide true franchise defensman.  IMO you can always address scoring in FA and the draft.   True #1 defensmen are something that are few and far between.  

If you have the chance to grab a true #1 you have to entertain the thought.  Anything short of a bounty is not going to land Weber.   Think about what we gave up for an old Pronger:  2 firsts, Sbisa, Lupul and 21st pick.  That will be something of a starting point to land Weber who happens to be in his prime. 

Edited by murraycraven

I'm pretty sure we'd basically have to gut the team to acquire Weber. Unless Nashville is happy taking picks and prospects (unlikely or they'd have done so already) you're likely going to have to start with Giroux. Then you open a big hole there + whatever else the cost is. Personally, I'd just like to see them  try and build a team for once.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure we'd basically have to gut the team to acquire Weber. Unless Nashville is happy taking picks and prospects (unlikely or they'd have done so already) you're likely going to have to start with Giroux. Then you open a big hole there + whatever else the cost is. Personally, I'd just like to see them  try and build a team for once.

agreed FC...  I think you are going to have to pay a HUGE amount to land Weber.   As you say - gutting the team.  

@murraycraven

@flyercanuck

Agree with both of you. What's the point of gutting the team again?

I mean, I guess it can be done without 'gutting', but it will cost someone like Giroux or Voracek, a prospect like Morin or Laughton, and two 1st rounders. So we would really only lose one roster player in that scenario.

Still, he's too old for a 12 year contract. Let's say he's effective for 5 of those years (until he's 34). Is the cost worth it? That's pretty much when Morin and Laughton could be difference makers.

It really annoys me how NJ got out of the Kovy contract with no penalty. What a complete joke.

It really annoys me how NJ got out of the Kovy contract with no penalty. What a complete joke.

While I agree with you completely, Kovy "retired".  If Pronger wasn't signed when he was over 35, the Flyers would have gotten out of that contract the same way(assuming Pronger retired).  

@brelic

Ya, the contract is a big stickler. Weber is a physical player. His game will either have to change or he'll likely start getting injured over the next few years.

Before Homer gave away JVR we likely could have afforded the loss of a good forward. Now it will leave a gaping hole that would be hard to fill.

If Philly really wants to win a cup it's time to restock the farm with quality. Having the luxury of bringing up good cheap talent is the way to go in a capped league....not buying your way in.

While I agree with you completely, Kovy "retired".  If Pronger wasn't signed when he was over 35, the Flyers would have gotten out of that contract the same way(assuming Pronger retired).

Exactly. He "retired", with quotes, to go play someplace else. That's what annoys me.

Is it possible to automatically ignore any thread that has to do with Shea Weber going to the Flyers?

Even a grave robber doesn't go to a tomb more than once, and this has been dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead ....

Is it possible to automatically ignore any thread that has to do with Shea Weber going to the Flyers?

Even a grave robber doesn't go to a tomb more than once, and this has been dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead dead ....

The NHL did it in Pittsburgh. :P

The NJ Devils lost a first round pick of their choice in the following five years.  According to capgeek, they are also paying 250k in recapture penalty through 2025.

The lost pick was because of the previous contract (17 years) Kovy signed that was ruled invalid by the league. NJ then restructured and a new contract was accepted.

@brelic  It's poetic justice that they have put off paying that pick all those years, and are now forced to forfeit in the coming draft. It would be GREAT if they miss the playoffs and are forced to part with a lottery pick....I'd  have an ear to ear smile if that transpired!!

• Like 1

@brelic  It's poetic justice that they have put off paying that pick all those years, and are now forced to forfeit in the coming draft. It would be GREAT if they miss the playoffs and are forced to part with a lottery pick....I'd  have an ear to ear smile if that transpired!!

Yes it would be great :)

It seems Lou is always getting away with stuff.