A good rant regarding James Neal

Irishjim

@Polaris922

For a guy who's been let off for whatever reasons and just came back from a concussion you'd think he'd show just a little bit of restraint when it comes to his penchant for targetting heads. Zero respect for the guy. Does he have talent? Sure. Class? None.

• Like 1

Sorry, been driving all day.  My take on this?  I wish they would have suspended him instead of fining him pocket change for a professional athlete.    He needs to learn a lesson, and this will teach him nothing.  He's been suspended in the past, they need to increase his suspensions until he get the message.   I like him and his skills, I do NOT like what he does with these over the edge plays.

I don't care if you consider him a star or not, stupid is as stupid does, and this kind of thing does not belong in hockey.

I hope another Cooke-like sit down is in order.  It's worked before.

@B21

IMO when a guy keeps doing the same thing over and over, that you're trying to get out of the league, his suspensions should escalate.

Somehow James Neal seems to be able to run around targetting heads with impunity. The stupid part is, this doesn't have to be part of his game plan at all.

@B21

IMO when a guy keeps doing the same thing over and over, that you're trying to get out of the league, his suspensions should escalate.

Somehow James Neal seems to be able to run around targetting heads with impunity. The stupid part is, this doesn't have to be part of his game plan at all.

Take it up with the NHL.  If Legwand only gets a fine for a worse incident in the same game, I'm not kicking up much too much if Neal only gets fined as well.  It's something. It's keep him on the radar if/when something else happens.  The fine still counts as part of his history.  There is still a headline out there that James Neal was fined.

@B21

Legwand doesn't have a history. I still think he should have got a game.

Neal has done this headshot thing over and over and over and over (there may be another over or two in there) and has already had the "handslap" more than once.

Really?  Someone posted about that?  Honestly, I was expecting something egregious, not some minor league run of the mill face wash.  Nothing to see here.  Move along.

agreed. Maybe he said something about his wife (ala SlapShot). A non-event for me. 

Really?  Someone posted about that?  Honestly, I was expecting something egregious, not some minor league run of the mill face wash.  Nothing to see here.  Move along.

I just looked at it again. My eyes are sore. I thought at first it was just a sucker glove to the face. The stick going / riding up like that is BS and agree with the OP. 

I just looked at it again. My eyes are sore. I thought at first it was just a sucker glove to the face. The stick going / riding up like that is BS and agree with the OP. 

Yeah, I've kind of "seen the light" since I posted, as well.

Again, though, I think it's a non-issue if it's not Neal.  But I think the point was that it IS Neal.  I actually change my initial opinion and think THAT point is warranted.

And in fairness Legwand has no history and made a more egregious offense but got the same fine so even up.

quote name="B21" post="172425" timestamp="1395523042"]Take it up with the NHL.  If Legwand only gets a fine for a worse incident in the same game, I'm not kicking up much too much if Neal only gets fined as well.  It's something. It's keep him on the radar if/when something else happens.  The fine still counts as part of his history.  There is still a headline out there that James Neal was fined.

@AlaskaFlyerFan

@flyercanuck

Not defending Neal, but the only thing I can figure is the league is still looking for absolute intent on this crap. "I was just trying to get his shoulder" blah blah blah...

Alibi more than excuse, if you ask me, Polaris.  But a pretty good one.  I think you're on the money.

@B21

Legwand doesn't have a history. I still think he should have got a game.

Neal has done this headshot thing over and over and over and over (there may be another over or two in there) and has already had the "handslap" more than once.

Par for the course in the NHL.  Not the first time they "under-punished".  Likely not the last.

Another good rant this time by Paul Stewart: 

James Neal: The Poster Child for What's Wrong With NHL Discipline System

The NHL did not follow its own protocol here. Rule 64.3 states that a first offense for diving/embellishment during the season “will result in a warning letter being sent to the player.” The second such incident “will result in a one thousand dollar ($1,000) fine.” Additionally, the League has the right to review video on plays where no diving or embellishment penalty was assessed and to put a strike against the player under the Diving protocol.

Neal had strike one, strike two and strike three. None of the previous penalties were officially rescinded from his record as far as I know, so he should have been suspended. This whole thing amounted to a foul-tip where the catcher dropped the ball on strike three so the hitter was not called out.

To recap, last month Neal got his third strike under the diving protocol. He was given a break. This month, Neal was guilty of at least the seventh League-reviewed play in his career for a reckless or dirty hit. He was given a break again, in the same season where there was no choice but to banish him for five games for kneeing an opponent in the head.

The NHL has sent a message to James Neal that he can do as he pleases until the next time he causes an injury. Flagged repeatedly for diving? That's OK, just sit your two minutes and be on your way. Rinse, wash, repeat. It makes my blood boil and the gets those old enforcer instincts of mine running on red alert.

Situations like these are why I say that the NHL Rule Book is a house of cards built on a foundation of sand. James Neal could be the poster child for what is wrong with the NHL discipline system as steered by Brendan Shanahan and, before him, the doubtable … um, redoubtable… Colin Campbell.

@hf101

Nice write-up from not only a great NHL ref, but also a guy who played as well. Couldn't have said it better myself...actually, I think I have said it..

"I have also seen enough of his play to know something else: James Neal is not my type of hockey player. He has been involved in multiple incidents, showing reckless disregard for the safety of fellow players. Furthermore, he’s a player who has acquired the reputation for being a diver."

" I would hope Sidney Crosby could be told the same thing by an official, but I have not seen that sort of leadership from him."

Honestly, what's Crosby going to say..."I want you to stop diving?" Neal would just break out laughing.

"I think of Neal as a player who has already been suspended three times in his career for dirty hits. That includes a five-game suspension earlier this season for a kneeing incident. Additionally, between his years in Dallas and Pittsburgh, he has previously been involved in least other three potentially suspendable incidents with his stick where he was fined and/or warned by the League."

And another against Detroit, which of course resulted in no suspension.

"Mind you, Neal has already been given a break by the NHL this season for his repeated diving. In a February 7 game against the New York Rangers, Neal received his third penalty of the season for embellishment. There is no doubt that the penalty was deserved."

Yet again, even though the rule states you are to be suspended for your 3rd diving penalty, the league turns their head when a Penguin is involved.

The NHL has sent a message to James Neal that he can do as he pleases until the next time he causes an injury. Flagged repeatedly for diving? That's OK, just sit your two minutes and be on your way. Rinse, wash, repeat.

This isn't B-b-b-b-ut the Pens...this is from an unbiased former ref who also can't believe what this guy gets away with.

This isn't B-b-b-b-ut the Pens...this is from an unbiased former ref who also can't believe what this guy gets away with.

Yeah, I also liked the call out on Colin Campbell ;).  

The League disciplines not so much for the name on the back on the shirt but for the emblem on the front.

@B21

I think I speak for all fans of all other teams in saying we hope all THEIR antics (diving now??? what do you mean NOW?) are called, and penalized and suspended the same as any other team.

If you have to go down this road again I have plenty of examples of players on all of their teams not having the rules applied evenly to their players as well.

I'll start with Steve Downie getting nothing for sucker punching Jason Blake 4 games after his well deserved 20 game suspension ended....and go from there.

Or we can agree that the NHL's discipline is inconsistent across the board and that James Neal has clearly benefitted from that...going back to his days as a Dallas Star and not just during his time with the Pens.

@B21

Yes. Steve Downie gets preferential treatment from the NHL. I agree 100% with th....BWA-HA-HA! (I thought you were serious there for a moment)

The league clearly tries to send a message then does nothing when 4 games later another punishable incident happens.

That's preferential treatment in my book.

Isn't that what you are looking for with Neal?  Appropriate punishment for repeat offenders?