Hal Gill a Masterton Trophy Nominee

hf101

Any one else surprised by this nomination?  The award goes to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.

“I’m honored. I’ve never been one for individual awards. A lot of people have persevered through things. ... I guess I’m dedicated. I love hockey. I want to win.

“Guys see how hard he works every day and not playing, and it goes a long way,” Berube said.

So basically the Flyers hired Gill to be a player - locker room coach not good enough to play and this is award worthy?

you can see the video here

There are some curious picks among teams, Gill has to be the strangest. He has been in what, 3 or 4 games?

The favorites for the award, IMHO:

Erik Karlsson coming back from his Achilles injury

Gregory Campbell for coming back from the broken leg in the post season

Kris Letang

Dominic Moore for coming back this season after his wifes death

Rich Peverley

Lots of worthy candidates announced so far.

The most ridiculous so far might be Drew Stafford, this is the announcement that accompanied his nomination:

"Stafford got his name on the list by becoming a leader on a young team that desperately needs some. It wasn’t an easy climb for the former 30-goal scorer or the fans. The right winger’s rapid fall began during the lockout-shortened season of 2012-13, when he totaled just six goals and 18 points in 46 games. Stafford started this season back on the top line, but again he couldn’t produce. He had just two goals and six points in the opening 20 games under coach Ron Rolston."

Wow. Nominated for playing on for a bad team as his personal skills eroded. I got nothing.

@hf101

A few years ago the Wings were looking at stretch run additions and I mentioned to a friend who was a Sabre fan that I would like to see the Wings add Stafford for scoring and he laughed at me.

He told me that his hatred of Stafford was so deep that he is all he can watch when he is on the ice. He swore that during the course of one game, that he watched Stafford play an entire game going up and down his wing and never once touched an opposing player. Not a single time making contact with an opposing jersey in an entire game. Since then whenever I watch a Sabre game I try to pay attention to Stafford when he is on the ice. About every third game he seems to hustle like crazy and hit people making you think he still has a spark, then for the next two games he simply disappears. God I am glad the Wings did not trade for him.

Any one else surprised by this nomination?  The award goes to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.

So basically the Flyers hired Gill to be a player - locker room coach not good enough to play and this is award worthy?

you can see the video here

Gill was nomintated by Snider and Holmgren based on his dedication to keeping the popcorn; hot, fresh and buttery!

Snider: "People will never understand the value of a good lockerroom guy. What they do off the ice and in the pressbox especially is just as important as what they contribute on the ice. Riley Cote started our program as pressbox ambassador and head popcorn maitre d. Riles passed the torch to Jody Shelley who did an outstanding job for two seasons before retiring. This season we have been blessed to have Jay Rosehill and Gill in the program and Hal is just doing an phenominal, phenominal job and we couldnt be more proud of him."

Campbell and or letang would get my vote but a good amount of nominees. Letang's play tonight and the rest of the season will also show if he deserves it also but also trying to keep him healthy and slowly bringing him back and ready for playoffs. But i dont see how a pat on the back and a "good job guys" is making you worthy of a masterton trophy.