Canucks President & GM Mike Gillis fired

brelic

Not much of a surprise.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=448707

Mike Gillis is out as the president and general manager of the Vancouver Canucks.

After helping the Canucks to four straight Northwest Division titles, Gillis saw the team miss the playoffs this season for the first time in six years.

The Canucks confirmed the news via the team's official Twitter account on Tuesday afternoon.

After losing Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final in 2011, the Canucks have won only one playoff game in the two following postseasons.

The Canucks' 2013 playoff exit led to the firing of head coach Alain Vigneault and the signing of former New York Rangers head coach John Tortorella to a five-year, $10 million deal.

Gillis has very publicly been dealing with his goaltending situation in recent years.

Cory Schneider was named the starting goalie going into the 2012-13 season after the team was unable to trade Roberto Luongo and his long-term contract. Schneider, however, was traded to the New Jersey Devils at the 2013 NHL Draft, putting Luongo back in the starter's role for the 2013-14 season.

But the struggling Canucks would finally deal Luongo prior to this season's Mar. 5 trade deadline, sending the 35-year-old back to the Florida Panthers and leaving unproven Eddie Lack as the starting goaltender down the stretch.

Gillis received the General Manager of the Year Award in 2011 after the team set a franchise record with 117 points in the regular season and won the Clarence Campbell Bowl as the Western Conference Champions.

After a 2011-12 season that saw the Presidents' Trophy-winning Canucks upset by the eighth-seeded Los Angeles Kings in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, Gillis was signed to a contract extension.

@brelic

Not a surprise there. Tortellini should follow.

Gillis is a nice guy, but Vancouvers drafting has been some of the worst in the entire NHL for a long time.

They handled their goaltending about as bad as they could. 

Honest question: How much of this team is the work of Gillis, and how much of it is Burke/Nonis?

Honest question: How much of this team is the work of Gillis, and how much of it is Burke/Nonis?

Thats actually a great question. I don't have an answer (as I have been removed from following them closely for awhile). 

But if a retrospect dissection is going to happen regarding your point of liability, the same could go with how much of the 4 NW division titles was a result of Burke / Nonis as well? It can't go both ways. If the tanking of the team falls in part to Burke / Noonis (which I do think there is some pie to go around there), then there has to be credit for Gillis to right the ship (at least in the short run) to get the 4 northwest div titles. 

The goalie situation was a debacle that falls squarely on Gillis- not just in the trades themselves, but how it was handled so publicly. There are also some handcuffing contracts he made that are questionable. 

Rumblings are that Trevor Linden is in the wings ready to step in as Yzerman type role with Detroit. 

Enough that they're included when I said their drafting has been terrible for a long time.

Their prospect cupboard is worst than Phillys, if that's possible.

Not terribly surprising.

What was the rationale to signing Jason Garrison to a 6 year, 27 million dollar contract again? I understand giving that kind of money to Vlasic, who is an outstanding defensive defenseman, but this one perplexed me as Garrison is merely "good".

They definitely need to do something about the lack of a goalie. Which is hilarious given they were trying to get rid of a good goalie not long ago. Now they have none.

Who is going to get the GM job?

Not terribly surprising.

What was the rationale to signing Jason Garrison to a 6 year, 27 million dollar contract again? I understand giving that kind of money to Vlasic, who is an outstanding defensive defenseman, but this one perplexed me as Garrison is merely "good".

They definitely need to do something about the lack of a goalie. Which is hilarious given they were trying to get rid of a good goalie not long ago. Now they have none.

Who is going to get the GM job?

Garth Snow. He'll get them some goalies.

Well lets see.

Gillis struck out with the goaltending mess and wound up with a decent prospect for Schneider and essentially not much for Luongo.

After losing to the Bruins he decided the club needed a power forward and dealt Cody Hodgson who can play, put him anywhere but Buffalo and the kid would have great numbers as it is he is easily the Sabres best forward this year for Kassian, a power forward who cannot really play. Absolutely horrible deal.

The farm system is barren. Five years of drafting and not much by way of new talent coming up. Very dry system.

Kesler wants out.

Hired Tortorella.

Gave Jason Garrison long term big money deal after one good year in Florida. Not a bad player but WAY overpaid.

Missed opportunity to trade the eroding Alex Edler before his no trade clause kicked in. Now nobody would want him and he cannot be dealt anyway without his permission.

Signed Dan Hamhuis to big money deal. Traded for David Booth.

THIS is all off the top of my head, Gillis has ruined this franchise. I did not even mention giving the sisters extensions because he kind of had to after all they have meant to the city. Gillis ruined this club and the team is miles further away from the cup now than when he took over. I cannot think of much of anything he did well to counter all of the bad moves. Picking up Ryan Stanton off waivers from the Hawks maybe. Hell even their most NHL ready prospect, Jordan Schroeder was from the final draft before he took over. Just a bad job on his part. He positively ruined this club.   

I read a few weeks ago that Naslund had left Modo and was rumored to take over President of Operations with the Canucks. Which would also support Linden rumors as GM.

Man. The Canucks owe Gillis for 4 more years!!!! And Torts is also signed for 4 more years.

That's some horrendous management ownership right there.

Fixed it for you, but certainly not as bad as the Leafs ownership!!!! ha ha ha ha ha 

Edited by Vanflyer

Rumblings are that Trevor Linden is in the wings ready to step in as Yzerman type role with Detroit. 

Did I call that or did I call that?  :ph34r:

'Nucks hire Linden as President: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=713673

"Aquilini added that he would not stop short of pointing the finger at his recently-dismissed GM and his current coach. ""Mike (Gillis) hired Tortorella and I'm responsible for that and that's why we have a change in direction today," he explained."

Buh Bye Torts!! No way in hell I see Linden support Fonzi! 

Edited by Vanflyer