Giroux's making promises again

brelic

I sure hope Giroux can back up his promises by taking his game up another level. The Flyers will not go anywhere without Giroux leading the way, that much is clear. St. Louis has stepped up for the Rags... Giroux needs to one up him.

What do you guys think of Giroux's play so far in the series?

"We're going to be ready for Game 4, we're going to tie up this series and go back to New York," Flyers captain Claude Giroux said.

I doubted him earlier this year back in October when he and the rest of the team got off to the horrendous start.  He said they would make the playoffs.  They did just that.  

@brelic  He has been shut down, though not for lack of trying.  I do think the Rangers have bottled him really well like a few years ago when Coots, as a rookie, shut down Malkin.

To be a true superstar he needs to find a way to elavate his game, EVEN when the other team is trying to shut him down.  I DO think he needs to shoot the puck more often.

We will see what happens Friday night.  I agree with @B21, you can't lead from behind.  I doubted him once this season, for now I will give him the benefit of the doubt and see how this team responds on Friday evening.

@brelic

Credit where credit is due.  He is doing what a Captain is supposed to do. Can't lead from behind.

No, that's true. But on the other hand, he is being completely stifled by the Rangers coverage. And his frustration is starting to show. There's no mojo in his game right now. 

So, yes, he started the play that led to the Streit goal, but those have been too few and far between for the best player in the world ;)

The other side of this is that without a productive, on-his-game Giroux, the Flyers simply don't win very much.

I sure hope Giroux can back up his promises by taking his game up another level.

Quite frankly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQBrYMDNyEk

What do you guys think of Giroux's play so far in the series?

I think the Rangers have shut him down aside from a few glimpses here and there. They've keyed their defense to stopping him and he hasn't been able to overcome the pressure. He's also committed a few frustration penalties.

Two shots in three games simply isn't getting it done. And, yes, the Rangers have blocked shots, but the Flyers have made it absurdly easy for them to do so. Citing one goal on a broken play in a 4-1 loss doesn't really impress me at all. Or the Rangers, for that matter,

Donnellon in the PDN has a story headlined "Time for 'D' Flyers to Score" - well, the D has half of the six goals the team has scored. The "top" line has one, a guy who played in the AHL all season has another and Simmonds has an empty net.

Again, not going to get it done.

It's not time for the 'D' to score. It's time for Giroux to score.

The only promise I want to hear is that Razor Ray Emery will not be starting a game the rest of this series. He was God awful last night. Not saying they would have won that game but every goal was a bad goal. Carcillo, really Ray, you couldn't at least stop him?!?!?!

I notice everybody is sort of keyed on Giroux and Razor,where's the rest of the team?

I don't think anybody is giving the rest of the team a pass.  However, as has been documented, as Giroux goes, so goes this team.  There have been plenty of stupid penalties to go around.  I think the intend of the thread is that Giroux is making a promise like he did make in October. 

He does need to step up his game if this team is to move forward in the playoffs.  0 points and less then 5 SOG in 3 playoff games is unacceptable. 

If you want to call out anyone else from this team, go right ahead.  Giroux is the captain and face of this team, hence the wrath of people will focus on him other than other deserving candidates.

Edited by pilldoc

I notice everybody is sort of keyed on Giroux and Razor,where's the rest of the team?

Here's canoli's post from the Giroux and the Flyers... crazy #s thread

The Flyers have 7 20-goal guys but are 8 games under .500* when Giroux goes without a point.

Flyers are 21-2-1 when Giroux scores a goal. 21 and 2!

Flyers are 33-15-4 when he gets at least a point.

As much as I love having seven 20-goal guys, apparently it doesn't mean much if Giroux doesn't get points.

*just before the home-home against the Pens last month

Giroux is the not only the straw that stirs the drink, he's pretty much the entire drink. If he's not showing up (on the scoresheet) the Flyers are much less likely to win.

Again, the defense has half of the team's goals. The "top" line has one. An AHL callup has another. And then there's an empty net.

• Like 1

I'll tell you where they are. They're waiting for Giroux to do something. Especially, score a goal.

The Flyers were 21-2-1 this season when Giroux scored a goal. That's an .896 winning percentage.

They were 21-28-9 when he doesn't score a goal. That's a .439 winning percentage. That's LESS THAN HALF.

They were 35-15-4 when he gets at least a point. That's a .685 winning percentage.

When he doesn't record a point, the Flyers were 7-15-6. That's a .357 winning percentage.

So, I'll say it again. Without Giroux on the scoreboard - preferably a goal - the Flyers aren't going anywhere.

EDIT: I see rad beat me to it. I was too busy calculating winning percentages ;)

The Rangers are bottling up Giroux but there needs to be secondary scoring for us to win this series.   For all of the talk about having plenty of 20+ goal scorers we sure as hell cant seem to find anyone to step up and bag a few.   G has been playing good hockey away from the puck but if the rangers take his offense away (this is why they need another top tier player) there is no one else to step up.  

I might have a coronary watching this PP too... I have never seen a group of guys set up 5 on 4 and just stand there w/ absolutely no movement.   They need to fix it quick or this series is over on Friday

I'll tell you where they are. They're waiting for Giroux to do something. Especially, score a goal.

The Flyers were 21-2-1 this season when Giroux scored a goal. That's an .896 winning percentage.

They were 21-28-9 when he doesn't score a goal. That's a .439 winning percentage. That's LESS THAN HALF.

They were 35-15-4 when he gets at least a point. That's a .685 winning percentage.

When he doesn't record a point, the Flyers were 7-15-6. That's a .357 winning percentage.

So, I'll say it again. Without Giroux on the scoreboard - preferably a goal - the Flyers aren't going anywhere.

EDIT: I see rad beat me to it. I was too busy calculating winning percentages ;)

that right there proves why the Flyers nees to get another game changer on offense.   Everything has to run through G for us to be successful which it shoudn't.  Corsby and Malkin have not score in 10 games and they find ways to win.  

It is not all G's fault here... he has played well away from the puck but the Rangers take away his time and space every time he touches the puck.  The dmen are great at closing the gap on him...  You know it is bad when our defense is outscoring our offense!

I'm in no way blaming Emery for this series...he shoulda had that Carcillo goal, IMO.  But there were enough OTHER problems last night, that Carcillo's goal was just the final insult.  

Emery's been adequate, at best. He's done his job as backup, but he's also shown why he's a backup. His numbers last year were behind a defense that has Keith, Seabrook, and Hjalmarsson.

That first goal last night kinda deflated the team and the building. It was going 3 feet wide. On the other hand, the Flyers aren't exactly making life tough for Lundqvist. 

Through 3 games, this just doesn't look like a team that can solve the Rangers. It doesn't help that they entered the playoffs already in a funk, but man, I didn't expect it to be this frustrating.

No, that's true. But on the other hand, he is being completely stifled by the Rangers coverage. And his frustration is starting to show. There's no mojo in his game right now. 

So, yes, he started the play that led to the Streit goal, but those have been too few and far between for the best player in the world ;)

The other side of this is that without a productive, on-his-game Giroux, the Flyers simply don't win very much.

That can happen - even to the best player(s) in the world. ;)  Crosby can't take a piss without Dubinsky following him into the men's room and it shows. No goals. 4 assists. -1. 45.6% on faceoffs. But - no retaliatory penalties despite Dubinsky's best efforts to agitate.  Others have picked up the goal scoring.  End result is a 2-1 series lead.

Guys like Giroux and Crosby just need to fight through it but it is possible to shut them down for the duration of a playoff series when less of the clutching and grabbing is going to get called.

I'm in no way blaming Emery for this series...he shoulda had that Carcillo goal, IMO.  But there were enough OTHER problems last night, that Carcillo's goal was just the final insult.  

Yeah the other problems includes, but limited to, the parade to the Penalty Box.  Somebody said in game chat last night and I can't remember who, but the Rangers are banking on the fact that Flyers commit WAY TOO MANY penalties.

As one of my co-workes so adeptly put it, they simply stopped skating in the 1st period for almost a full 10 minutes.   By that time the damage had been done.

Totally with @murraycraven, this PP needs to be fixed.  The Flyers NEED TO find another skilled player who can score. Not sure where to find one...that is a topic for another thread,

Emery's been adequate, at best. He's done his job as backup, but he's also shown why he's a backup. His numbers last year were behind a defense that has Keith, Seabrook, and Hjalmarsson.

That first goal last night kinda deflated the team and the building. It was going 3 feet wide. On the other hand, the Flyers aren't exactly making life tough for Lundqvist. 

Through 3 games, this just doesn't look like a team that can solve the Rangers. It doesn't help that they entered the playoffs already in a funk, but man, I didn't expect it to be this frustrating.

Can't disagree with anything here....solid points.

that right there proves why the Flyers nees to get another game changer on offense. Everything has to run through G for us to be successful which it shoudn't. Corsby and Malkin have not score in 10 games and they find ways to win.

It is not all G's fault here... he has played well away from the puck but the Rangers take away his time and space every time he touches the puck. The dmen are great at closing the gap on him... You know it is bad when our defense is outscoring our offense!

@B21 already addressed the Crosby angle, so I'll take the Malkin angle.

Malkin always sucks in the first series. I think the team is used to adapting to it. The guy just doesn't wake up till round two.

We're getting depth scoring though particularly from our defense. Your boys will have to find a way. Seven 20 goal scorers should be able to find a way!

Edited by Polaris922