Kane for the Schenns?

As I understood "bridge" deals, they are designed to expire with a year left in RFA. 

It works for the club because they don't commit long term to an uncertain prospect, but retain their rights.

It works for the player because they will typically get a little more (like $2.5 vs. $2.25 for example) and be in a position where they can demand arbitration if they have emerged as a serious player and the club is still reticent to commit long term.

Good explanation.   Thanks, bud!  :D

He's not going to sign a four year $2M deal that takes him into UFA - and the Flyers shouldn't really want that either.

two year bridge deal is what we are looking at and a doubling (plus) of his salary ($2M-$2.5M) should get it done.

Assuming I'm not driving them to the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls to pick up Evander Kane.

I can live w/ that

As I understood "bridge" deals, they are designed to expire with a year left in RFA. 

It works for the club because they don't commit long term to an uncertain prospect, but retain their rights.

It works for the player because they will typically get a little more (like $2.5 vs. $2.25 for example) and be in a position where they can demand arbitration if they have emerged as a serious player and the club is still reticent to commit long term.

thanks for clarifing that one Rad.  That is what I was unsure of - did the Flyers actually have to sign him on a 4yer deal.  In that case I hope it is around the 2M mark for 2 years.  He has earned nothing more IMO...

Edited by murraycraven

In that case I hope it is around the 2M mark for 2 years.  He has earned nothing more IMO...

I could see $2.25M with the extra $500K over two years to cement the bridge..

They also have (on a $71.1M cap) about $5.33M in bonus cushion. I believe they could give him some incentives?

I could see $2.25M with the extra $500K over two years to cement the bridge..

They also have (on a $71.1M cap) about $5.33M in bonus cushion. I believe they could give him some incentives?

Don't think so, bonuses only for ELC and 35+ deals.

@rad.... 2.25 would not be the end of the world.  I am just hoping Hexy is smart enough to pay him on merit....  not potential.  

Right, but part of the negotiation is getting the two year deal. If they insist on $2M then we could be right back here next season.

Giving the team and the player the time to really show what they have is what the goal should be. Giving him a little extra - I do think $2.5M is too high, for example - helps make that happen without breaking the cap or overpaying the player.

It's all well and good to go ahead and deal young 20-goal scorers drafted in the Top 10, but it all comes down to return.

If I can get a 23-year-old LW who's already potted 30 that appears to be a perfect fit on the top line with Giroux and Voracek, that's a heckuva lot better return than, say dealing a LW that would seem to be a nice fit on the top line for a middling defenseman

For example.

But I digest...

Schenn has no leverage to demand anything higher than that. He simply has not performed well enough to earn more than guys from his draft class who have surpassed him.

2-3 year bridge deal should work...and like i said he has no leverage and he'll either sign it or he could be traded at the draft.

I mean the Flyers do have a log jam  at center....so like in the real world...when you're at work and you know you are over staffed in your position is now really the time to ask for a huge raise????

Or quietly take your spot and be thankful you still have a job and are still in the future plans.

I think the later.

Remember he can extend or negotiate a new deal in his last year.

Or quietly take your spot and be thankful you still have a job and are still in the future plans.

If I was Schenn's agent and that was my reasoning when dealing w/ Hexy I would fire myself.  The agents job is to get the max deal for both he and his client.   I agree with what you say but dont think that is going to be realistic.  Maybe Schenn is one of those players that really want to stay or maybe he wants to earn the max that he can now and then worry about a bigger deal down the line.  

Maybe Schenn is one of those players that really want to stay or maybe he wants to earn the max that he can now and then worry about a bigger deal down the line.  

I would guess every player wants to earn the max, really. But the real question is how far Hextall is willing to push back and tell the Schenn camp in no uncertain terms that he simply hasn't earned a big payday yet. 

Hextall should know all about bad blood contract negotiations ;)

• Like 1

The agents job is to get the max deal for both he and his client. 

Yes that is fine and most times they have leverage to work with how ever he has none...really.

It's like take it or leave it they will move on without him.

And trust me training camp/preseason is where all the experimenting to fill Brayden's spot will take place.

Without leverage the agent is almost powerless. Flyer maybe already planning to move him i'm sure they have laid out an offer to him and depending  or what he does dictates what transpires over the course of the next couple of weeks leading up to the draft.

And it's also to for the agent to do what is best for his client and that isn't always about money.

Agreed but you do know most agents are lawyers, right? ;)

I think Schenn has a little more leverage than we all think here too... You can compare him to his peers all you want but the Flyers have moved the kid all over the lineup.  I am sure this will be a topic of discussion in during the negotiations.  I hope he gets a nice bridge deal at 2M but I am really expecting to see him get more.   Maybe it is a case of me suffering from the Homer hangover :D

You can compare him to his peers all you want but the Flyers have moved the kid all over the lineup.  I am sure this will be a topic of discussion in during the negotiations. 

Hextall can respond with "Yeah, and he was mediocre in all positions." He's bad at faceoffs, played sheltered minutes, was mediocre on the wing, doesn't kill penalties, doesn't run the 2nd PP unit with any sense of strength, and has bad corsi numbers.

:P

As you say, I think we're all still a little shell shocked with Homer type deals.

@murraycraven

You could be right. The dialogue going through my head goes like this, though :

Hextall: hey, Craig, if schenn isn't available to start the season, you ok?

Berube: yeah, no problem. Would make lines easier, anyway. We'd be fine.

Hextall: ok, cool.

Hextall: [to schenn's agent] ok, here's the offer, take it or leave it. Take all the time you want, but remember he needs to be under contract by the end of the season if he wants to play in the playoffs. But whatever. Let me know when he's ready to sign.

----

Schenn just hadn't been important enough to say anything, assuming the offer is even vaguely fair. He may hold out for a bit, but he'll be at camp with a reasonable contact, imo.

Edited by aziz
  • Like 1

@murraycraven

You could be right. The dialogue going through my head goes like this, though :

Hextall: hey, Craig, if schenn isn't available to start the season, you ok?

Berube: yeah, no problem. Would make lines easier, anyway. We'd be fine.

Hextall: ok, cool.

Hextall: [to schenn's agent] ok, here's the offer, take it or leave it. Take all the time you want, but remember he needs to be under contract by the end of the season if he wants to play in the playoffs. But whatever. Let me know when he's ready to sign.

----

Schenn just hadn't been important enough to say anything, assuming the offer is even vaguely fair. He may hold out for a bit, but he'll be at camp with a reasonable contact, imo.

That sounds about right. He's just not an important part of this team - yet. And the fact that we still have Vinny plus Laughton who will be fighting for a spot kinda makes Schenn a bit more 'expendable'.

That sounds about right. He's just not an important part of this team - yet. And the fact that we still have Vinny plus Laughton who will be fighting for a spot kinda makes Schenn a bit more 'expendable'.

To me, this is where they are really hosed.  If they trade VLC first, Schenn gets a lot more leverage, IMO.  If they sign Schenn first, they lose whatever leverage for trading VLC that they may have, which granted, can't be much at this point.  

I'm just not sure which hammer should fall first.  

Edited by DaGreatGazoo
  • Like 1

To me, this is where they are really hosed. If they trade VLC first, Schenn gets a lot more leverage, IMO. If they sign Schenn first, they lose whatever leverage for trading VLC that they may have, which granted, can't be much at this point.

It is a very good point... Although, I don't think Laughton's ceiling is as high as Schenns.

To me, this is where they are really hosed. If they trade VLC first, Schenn gets a lot more leverage, IMO. If they sign Schenn first, they lose whatever leverage for trading VLC that they may have, which granted, can't be much at this point.

Do it Homer-style, both at the same time?

• Like 1