Rutherford's HC List; Interviews underway...

B21

According to sources cited by Rob Rossi of the Tribune Review...

John Hynes (WBS HC)

Ron Wilson

Marc Crawford

Ulf Samuelsson (Rangers Assistant)

Bill Peters (Wings Assistant)

John Stevens (Kings Assistant)

Willie Desjardins (AHL HC)

Rick Tocchet is supposedly being considered as an Assistant.

Out of that group Crawford would be my first choice.

Rick Tocchet is supposedly being considered as an Assistant.

Out of that group Crawford would be my first choice.

Agreed out of that group.....I think Crawford is best choice, although I admittedly don't know much about your minor league coach. Would pass on Wilson, maybe I'm giving to much weight to watching him shclep that dreadfully lame Leafs team around. John Stevens, nice guy, likes cake, but IMO he's much better in a support role. Ulfie....I can't possibly have an objective opinion about a top-5 dirtiest SOB.

• Like 1

Agreed out of that group.....I think Crawford is best choice, although I admittedly don't know much about your minor league coach. Would pass on Wilson, maybe I'm giving to much weight to watching him shclep that dreadfully lame Leafs team around. John Stevens, nice guy, likes cake, but IMO he's much better in a support role. Ulfie....I can't possibly have an objective opinion about a top-5 dirtiest SOB.

Agree on all points. I loved Ulfie on my team in the Cup wins, but how much respect would the skill guys have for him? I mean, he clearly sets an example for the "whatever it takes" crowd. But is that the face of your organization?

Agree on all points. I loved Ulfie on my team in the Cup wins, but how much respect would the skill guys have for him? I mean, he clearly sets an example for the "whatever it takes" crowd. But is that the face of your organization?

I don't know enough (anything) about Ulfie's non - playing resume to advocate for him one way or the other, but if Craig Berube and Patrick fricken Roy can be a head coach why not Ulfie?

Not really a fan of the list, by the way. So much for creativity, huh?

Bill Peters (Wings Assistant)

I would take him. I think Babcock is the best coach in the NHL. If any of his talent has gleamed to Peters, its a done deal. Stevens (bake a cake) can not be discounted either. 

I mean, he clearly sets an example for the "whatever it takes" crowd. But is that the face of your organization?

Truthfully, I would not look at a coaches playing career to judge his coaching abilities. Point in hand: Berube and Ruff. Both those guys have room to improve, but who ever thought that Berube would be coaching material after spending his career primarily as a pugilists? 

• Like 1

Say what you want about wife beater Roy, but he had a stellar juniors coaching resume'. Point being he did not come without credentials (bruises on fists included).

Well that's fine. Like I said, I know nothing of Ulfie's resume (and really don't care enough to look). But people *seem* to be discounting him because of the way he played. All I'm saying is maybe that's a misleading criteria.

Exactly - he may have the the tools for a head coaching gig, that I really don't know, but would Crosby and Malkin buy in?

Why crawford? What has he done since his days in Colorado?? 

I guess I'm thinking specific to Pittsburgh's situation, more along the lines of someone with experience coaching top 1% types i.e. Footsburg/Sakic/Roy in COL and his stint as HC of Team Canada, which granted didn't turn out all that well. I'm not sure you want to promote your AHL coach at this point in time with this team.

• Like 1

I'm not sure you want to promote your AHL coach at this point in time with this team.

That's my feelings on it as well.  It's one thing if it's a young up-and-coming team.  It's not like Pittsburgh's core is long in the tooth or anything--they're comparatively young--but they've been there/done that.  I don't know that the AHL guy is the right fit for that.   On the other hand, if they're bringing up a bunch of their defensive prospects...nah, maybe as assistant coach, but I wouldn't bring him up as head coach.

Peters hired by Carolina.

Bummer for Pitts. He (as I stated earlier) would have been the guy I hire for them. 

But my pay grade is way below that decision level. 

Kudos for Carolina. They just got a tremendous coach. 

Hello "bake a cake" Stevens to Pitts. I just say that because it will be so much fun on the interstate jokes between the teams and coaches. You have bake a cake stevens and pugilist berube. If only we could have a hallway seen like angry fonz!! 

Stevens holding a cake and Berube smashing it in his face!!! :)

Per Dreger, it's Desjardins...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=455266

Dreger: We're looking at Willie Desjardins as potentially the next head coach of the Penguins. Now, Desjardins is a hot commodity, given his American Hockey League championship with the Texas Stars of the Dallas Stars organization.   We know he was a hot commodity with the Vancouver Canucks, but I expect the Pittsburgh Penguins are the team that will land Desjardins.

I know nothing (about) him. Do you like him??

Just what I have read.  Won the AHL title with the Texas Starts. Pretty successful everywhere he's been. Short stint as an NHL assistant.  Ex-players rave about him.  But...no NHL experience.  He was the "hot" name this offseason but he's also getting his first crack (assuming he's the Pens' guy) at age 57. 

Cautiously optimistic.

I know nothing (about) him. Do you like him??

Moot point maybe.  Now Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review is reporting that the Pens could not come to terms with Desjardins; issues with contract length? Assistants?

Rutherford plans to interview a few more candidates now but has stated the new coach will be in place by 7/1.

Pens could not come to terms with Desjardins; issues with contract length? Assistants?

WTF? A NHL coach is the pentacle of a persons coaching career. How could a person not "come to terms" with that job???  

Or maybe Crosby could not come to terms?? Hmmmmm

Edited by Vanflyer

WTF? A NHL coach is the pentacle of a persons coaching career. How could a person not "come to terms" with that job???  

Or maybe Crosby could not come to terms?? Hmmmmm

Years? Assistants? Salary?

If he wanted NHL experience years or NHL experience money then I hope the Pens did pass.  I'm sure he's a fine coach but at the end of the day he's 57 and has only 2 years as an assistant when it comes to NHL experience.  I'm still hopeful for Marc Crawford.

Edit: After reading the line that @Polaris922 posted in the other thread about the Pens' next HC - I think I am leaning towards Ulfie.

Edited by B21