2014 Entry Draft - Who do the Flyers choose?

OccamsRazor

A good read on a possible Flyer target...if you believe mock drafts.......

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=722788&cmpid=nhl-twt

A projected two-way center with high-end offensive capability, center Dylan Larkin of the United States National Team Development Program Under-18 team is a prime candidate to be an early-round choice in the 2014 NHL Draft at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, June 27-28.

"He's probably one of the best skaters we've had come through the program in a long time," U-18 coach Danton Cole said. "But he's also diligent; he's interested in his defensive zone. He wants to be a Steve Yzerman-type player."

Larkin, No. 17 on NHL Central Scouting's final list of the top draft-eligible skaters in North America, had 31 goals, six power-play goals and 56 points in 60 games. In 28 games against teams in the United States Hockey League, he had 17 goals and 28 points.

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound left-handed shooter scored extraordinarily well in several key areas according to Central Scouting, including work ethic, defensive reliability and communication with teammates and coaches. He also is a proven penalty killer and power-play performer.

The native of Waterford, Mich., native has been productive since the start of the season, when he had a goal and an assist to help Team Mark Johnson to a 5-2 victory against Team Joe Mullen at the USA/CCM All-American Top Prospects Game in September.

"He skates well and has great closing speed, uses his body well," NHL Central Scouting's David Gregory said. "He has skill but is not afraid of using physical play for puck possession. He has good vision and playmaking."

Prior to moving about 45 miles south to join the USNTDP in Ann Arbor, Larkin excelled for the Belle Tire midget minor program.

"I had a great four years there, especially since I was playing with a lot of talented players who will probably be drafted this year like Brendan Perlini (Niagara, OHL),Joshua Jacobs (Green Bay, USHL) and Aaron Haydon (Niagara, OHL)," Larkin said. "I think about all the championships we won with the team. That really taught me how to prepare for those big championship games."

Larkin, who has been committed to the University of Michigan for some time, was drafted in the 10th round (No. 184) by the Erie Otters in the 2012 Ontario Hockey League priority draft.

He was asked if skating with projected top 2015 draft-eligible center Connor McDavid in Erie is something he would consider next season.

"I played with [2015 draft-eligible center] Jack Eichel [for the NTDP] and he's a pretty good player too, so that was fun," Larkin said. "I'm a Jack Eichel fan anyway. I always wanted to play at Michigan. I committed four years ago so it has been a long wait. I'm looking forward to going."

Larkin said winning a gold medal for the United States at the 2014 IIHF World Under-18 Championship in Finland has been the highlight of his hockey career. He had two goals, four points and a plus-3 rating in six games while serving as an assistant captain.

"We put in a lot of time to prepare for that tournament, and to do it with the 22 guys you worked so hard with during the season was pretty special," he said.

At the NHL Scouting Combine in May, Larkin interviewed with all 30 NHL teams. His primary goal was to establish his personality and speak honestly and openly.

"You can't be a robot," he said.

Larkin credited linemate Ryan Hitchcock, No. 131 on Central Scouting's final list of North American skaters for always putting him in good position to shoot the puck this season. Still, he believes he has the proper mix of playmaking and scoring ability.

He is also a big advocate playing a two-way game.

"It's something you see [in the NHL] and what you have to do," Larkin said. "You must come back hard every chance you get. Coaches need to know you are effective at both ends of the ice."

Cole feels Larkin's two-way game has improved tremendously over the course of one year, leaving little doubt that his "Steve Yzerman-like" tendencies might not be too far-fetched.

"He has the offense, can score and skate, but he's also learned the little subtleties needed to play the center position," Cole said. "He's taken an unbelievable mature approach; kind of an NHL-repertoire approach to practices and games. He's training to be really good at it and his progress has been great."

Not a bad sounding selection.........

I'm a BPA type of guy, but I don't know that what the Flyers should be looking for in this draft is yet another two-way centerman. If he's pretty far ahead of all the LW and D on the board, ok, but if there's one of those other two rated right about the same when the Flyers pick, I'd like to see them pick up some prospect depth in areas where they're lacking.

I'm a BPA type of guy, but I don't know that what the Flyers should be looking for in this draft is yet another two-way centerman. If he's pretty far ahead of all the LW and D on the board, ok, but if there's one of those other two rated right about the same when the Flyers pick, I'd like to see them pick up some prospect depth in areas where they're lacking.

Um....it's been over a year since we selected a good 2 way center...how long you wanna wait for the next one?

I'll take your opinion and run with it.  

McKeown is slated later about around 25-27 actually after Sanheim....so i would be upset if the Flyers were to pass on a Scott Niedermeyer clone. I haven't seen that comparison about him but his smarts have been noted and labled as a do it all Dman and has better size (6-1 195) than Honka.

report on McKeown: McKeown is a strong, do-it-all defensemen whose biggest asset is his ability to think the game and know his position. He makes strong, simple plays, has a good shot and distributes the puck effectively.

Sanheim is already 6-4 205 already but no where the glowing reviews as the first two mentioned. Sanheim projects to a defensive defenman at the NHL level though.

I just hope Flyers draft the best one....which ever one that one is i can't say.

Out of 5 "in the know" (fwiw) lists I looked at 3 did not even have McKeown in the 1st round. The other two had a disparity (1 at 14 and the other at 24th). 

For Sanheim, I again only found him on 2 out of 5 at 19th and 24th. Lists are lists I guess, but of the two, I think Sanheim would be the guy I would peg. They say his progress this year has been astounding. He is a big kid that can really skate and has a high hockey Iq. They said he can do it all. At 18 y/o, he is 6'3 185 with lots of room to grow. 

Truthfully, if Hextall is as serious as he says about moving up, I would like to see them move up to get either Nick Ritchie (LW), Jake Virtanen (LW) or Hayden Fleury (D). 

Pull ups aren't about upper body strength though. it's about bicep strength, which isn't a true indication of upper body strength

Well, not necessarily, also lats are a big part of it. These kids are young, yet I would think that they are doing some sort of strength training. 

Don't you remember those scrawny kids in gym class during the fitness tests in high school or what not that could do like 50 pull ups but could not make a pop-eye bicep muscle to save their life?? 

Seriously, it has allot to do about weight and height as well. Taller kids with a bit more weight / bone density have allot harder of a time doing a pull up because frankly they are having to move more mass a greater distance. So, without the muscle strength there, its not easy to do. Regardless, when these kids go pro, they will be in a strength and conditioning program, so I would not sweat it either. 

Truthfully, if Hextall is as serious as he says about moving up, I would like to see them move up to get either Nick Ritchie (LW), Jake Virtanen (LW) or Hayden Fleury

All good picks to i will say. Fleury i'm not sure of.

But after watching Hexy's press conference on the draft i think he is leaning defenseman.

Like he said you can't win without them and they never get enough credit and him being a former goaltender he knows more than anyone how important the 6 guys skating in front of him are and he said it they don't get enough credit and are very valuable and hard to find.

We know the Flyers covet Weber and failed in landing him so who is the closest youngest easties Weber like clone they can get?????

Ekblad...Florida said they will trade the pick.

Now once again before everyone starts sending me all these post about what it will do to the Flyers if they try to move up and get him please save your breathe i already know and i'm not saying for sure i would do this i'm just pointing it out incase it does happen i'll expect it.

I'm not saying Ekblad is going to be a Weber 2.0 but i'm just saying from what i've seen he is the closest to what he is right now size wise and with his slap shot.

We'll all just have to wait and see. I'm excited. Can't wait. Especially if they can move VLC!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by OccamsRazor

All good picks to i will say. Fleury i'm not sure of.

Fleury is the first d guy after Eckblad on the draft board. Maybe there are others after the first 10 picks that folks have a bias for over him, but then you are probably right back down to where the flyers are picking if not past that point. Fleury is 6'3 207, is an excellent skater and will not turn 18 until July 8th (meaning he still has growth in him). They say he is great at transition and moving the puck. 

Fleury is the first d guy after Eckblad on the draft board. Maybe there are others after the first 10 picks that folks have a bias for over him, but then you are probably right back down to where the flyers are picking if not past that point. Fleury is 6'3 207, is an excellent skater and will not turn 18 until July 8th (meaning he still has growth in him). They say he is great at transition and moving the puck. 

I just hope the Flyers will do their homework and take the best player that will be here for awhile and contribute. I have faith in them and do not want him to Thomas Hickey or Colten Tuebert this 1st round pick!!!!!!!!!

Make it count!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Fleury is the first d guy after Eckblad on the draft board.

I must say i would be ecstatic if the Flyers were even able to move up and get him he is a really fast good skater that will be physical to from what i've seen of him. Hexy i think wants to get to the top 5 at least. Just wonder who it would cost to get there.

Edited by OccamsRazor

I must say i would be ecstatic if the Flyers were even able to move up and get him he is a really fast good skater that will be physical to from what i've seen of him. Hexy i think wants to get to the top 5 at least. Just wonder who it would cost to get there.

I was discussing with @flyercannuck  the costs (mostly of trying to get ritchie- who can go anywhere from 4-9). I think he will go 6. Based on 6th, I was proposing out 17th + Read + 3rd. I like Ritchie that much. 

For Fleury- I have seem him between #9 - 13th. I would probably take the 3rd off the table to make that jump. The other guy I like (a LW as well is Virtanen (LW). I have seen him similar to Ritchie (6th-9th). If hextal is true to his word about building d on out, then I would think Fleury would be our target. If we are looking to fill a glaring need with a guy that could be a monster LW power forward in the NHL, then Ritchie is the guy we go for (but also could be Virtanen). 

I am just spit balling and really know very little.  

I must say i would be ecstatic if the Flyers were even able to move up and get him he is a really fast good skater that will be physical to from what i've seen of him.

He's got great north south skating and lateral skating on the point doesn't he. Combine that with a lethal wrister from the point (when was the last time we had something like that??), and man makes you salivate. The only thing with Fleury is we won't see him for a bit. He will need more development. Someone like Ritchie I think you could see very soon. Physically he is already there. Its just the game speed adjustment. 

Edited by Vanflyer

For Fleury- I have seem him between #9 - 13th

I could see the Oliers taking him really their blueline is horrible.

And they already have 4 young forwards RNH, Yak, Hall and Eberle their blueline to me needs addressing the most.

I could see the Oliers taking him really their blueline is horrible.

While its a crap shoot, I do think there is a separation between the top 4 and the rest of the top 10-15. If your the oilers, you have to take the best available or trade down (which could be a gamble as they still might not get their guy). I think taking Fleury at #3 would not be prudent. Either Sam or Draisatl are the smarter picks. They could always trade who they pick to another team for a d-man. Lord knows they certainly have other forward assets they could throw in. 

Nice call right???

gotta give you props....don't know where you pulled him out of ... but for some reason...like the announcers said.  He was off everybody's radar.  The announcers also said that Hexy personally scouted Sanheim himself. 

We gotta trust Hexy here......

gotta give you props....don't know where you pulled him out of ... but for some reason...like the announcers said.  He was off everybody's radar.  The announcers also said that Hexy personally scouted Sanheim himself. 

We gotta trust Hexy here......

He was off everyone radar maybe because he has only played one year of juniors so i don't really get them saying that most guys their first year on play 5 or 01 games then the next year they get so projection type stuff on them but he only played on year so it was hard for the scots and what not to get on the hype wagon.

It usually takes a year or two even.