We ain't doin' ****

@BobbyClarkeFan16  Throwing Hexy under the bus at this point is crazy. He has done nothing to draw the ire of the Flyer fans at this point. He was given a horrible hand which he was forced to play. I do wonder out loud though....why not sign a back up...go over the cap and then make the moves. I realize that puts him in a bad spot, being forced to dump cap money and everyone knowing he has to dump....but damn, I'd rather be in that spot than not have a back up. What if Mason gets hurt??  Our season is done. Chad Johnson, Griese or Montoya would have given us at least a glimmer of hope had Mason gone down with a long term injury....we did not guard against the worst case scenario at all .....and it does not sit well with me.

• Like 1

It's gonna be resigning Emery. Strictly conjecture but but that's how I see it playing out. 1 year for less than a mil

Oh man Sars did you call it or did you call it? It was for 1 million but that is close enough.

@BobbyClarkeFan16  Throwing Hexy under the bus at this point is crazy. He has done nothing to draw the ire of the Flyer fans at this point. He was given a horrible hand which he was forced to play. I do wonder out loud though....why not sign a back up...go over the cap and then make the moves. I realize that puts him in a bad spot, being forced to dump cap money and everyone knowing he has to dump....but damn, I'd rather be in that spot than not have a back up. What if Mason gets hurt??  Our season is done. Chad Johnson, Griese or Montoya would have given us at least a glimmer of hope had Mason gone down with a long term injury....we did not guard against the worst case scenario at all .....and it does not sit well with me.

I just mentioned about Mason getting hurt in another post.  Again totally agree with your thought process. I can understand not making a move for one of the flashier UFA out there, however, a quality backup goalie could have been had for what Emery was just given.  This team is on thin ice so as it is for making the playoffs.  Maybe in a nonverbal way, we are just going to have a very mediocre sub-par team this year and there might be some thought as trying to get in the McDavid sweepstakes. (That is if this kid has the potential to be as good as they say he is)

As far as Hexy being thrown under the bus...then those fans that say that are just really misinformed and have to real clue to what the NHL and having a salary cap is all about.  They should be pi$$$ed at Homer for putting Hexy in this position.  Hexy is only playing the hand he is dealt.

I know it's a bit disappointing we didn't get a different back up but is Emery really THAT bad? Personally I would have preferred Lindback who signed at 950k, but I think we have bigger issues.

Put it this way...out of 51 goalies listed on NHL.com for goalie stats last year, Emery was 43rd out of 51 in both Save % and GGA. His numbers 2.96....just under 3 goals a game allowed and .903 are putrid. Literally, any other goalie who played last year would give us a better chance to win. That is not even discussing the side to side movement which has become totally laughable. So yeah....he was *that* bad.....lol..

Agree with all of that, but what about the defense?  We *must* upgrade the D.  Going to the camp with this defense is plain embarrassing. 

Put it this way...out of 51 goalies listed on NHL.com for goalie stats last year, Emery was 43rd out of 51 in both Save % and GGA. His numbers 2.96....just under 3 goals a game allowed and .903 are putrid. Literally, any other goalie who played last year would give us a better chance to win. That is not even discussing the side to side movement which has become totally laughable. So yeah....he was *that* bad.....lol..

I wonder how many of those games played were during our horrible streak at the beginning of the season, while the two were sharing the load more equally than towards the middle? The stats don't lie, but I don't remember that many games where I blamed Emery for the loss. That isn't saying too much though with how our team defense was most nights.

Agree with all of that, but what about the defense?  We *must* upgrade the D.  Going to the camp with this defense is plain embarrassing. 

I do think an upgrade is in order, but don't know how to accomplish that without giving up a very solid asset. I think patience is in order here. I don't want to give up on any of our upper tier prospects to make the defense better. In other words, Sanheim, Morin, Hagg, Ghost, Alt, Lauridsen, Laughton should all be untouchables. No giving away any of these assets without having a very good idea of what you are giving away.

Sounds crazy, but the defense might be ok. We need one more tweak, ditching Grossmann for a better coverage guy would be a nice place to start. The current crop of d-men appeared to gel towards the end of last year. The sudden improvement of L.Schenn when paired with McDonald was a big reason why. Luke went from a deer in headlights to a dependable d-man almost overnight. If this trend continues, I feel a lot better about the defense going forward. There is no real brutally weak pairing that will hurt them consistently....which in turn does not leave them vulnerable to opposing coaches getting the last change. Overall though, we need to get faster and smarter. I'd be ok with what we have if it assures our young kids all stay in the stable. Let the defense naturally evolve over time, and hoard all quality assets. Grossmann's foot speed is the one area that could and should be addressed right now though.

Way to go Homer.  Hextall's hands are tied tighter than a sailor on nickel beer night.

I still have hope that VLC can be moved tomorrow or a little later and we'll just be on the hook for the 2 mill bonus... but that's even seeming less and less likely.

Ultimately I think he'll figure it out and we'll probably ice a team very similar to last year's (minus Gus and Hartsy obviously)  with the possibility of some whipper snappers getting a shot at the big team in camp.

But Free agents... not so much this year. SHOCKER!!!! 

murraycraven.....Here's Pauly!!! Nice one. Hexy's Draft children are the ones who'll go through the Window and free him of being locked in the bathroom with these contracts.

The Emery signing is more about going with what is being known as the "Jagr" effect, He has made Mason a better player through his encouragement and teamwork mentality. I don't agree with getting another goalie and changing the dynamics just yet.

Consistency is so important in the youths development, whether it's forwards or defensemen. Changing key positions/players every year is not good for the development of our youth. Imagine having a different dad every year growing up. Of course this is an exageration, but our young players need to have good examples and consistency in their development, signing Emery is a small step in this direction, he is a good example and a consistant positive example to our goalie and players and has the right attitude.

Schenns', Cooter need this too.

But in the end this is all for entertainment purposes only, may the best show win!

I doubt the plan ever was to do anything but resign Rayzor.

@BobbyClarkeFan16 Throwing Hexy under the bus at this point is crazy. He has done nothing to draw the ire of the Flyer fans at this point. He was given a horrible hand which he was forced to play. I do wonder out loud though....why not sign a back up...go over the cap and then make the moves. I realize that puts him in a bad spot, being forced to dump cap money and everyone knowing he has to dump....but damn, I'd rather be in that spot than not have a back up. What if Mason gets hurt?? Our season is done. Chad Johnson, Griese or Montoya would have given us at least a glimmer of hope had Mason gone down with a long term injury....we did not guard against the worst case scenario at all .....and it does not sit well with me.

An upgrade probably ain't gonna happen.

The only new D options are coming in the form of competition from the prospects in camp.

There's a chance a few guys haven't signed yet because Hexy has deals hinging in a VLC or Umberger trade... But I'm not betting on it.

Agree with all of that, but what about the defense? We *must* upgrade the D. Going to the camp with this defense is plain embarrassing.