Downie signs with Pens

brelic

Steve Downie on protecting Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin: "I can guarantee there won't be any liberties on those players this year."—

Pittsburgh Penguins July 04, 2014

Downie: "Whatever team I've played on, I like to go out my way to stick up for my teammates. Every team needs a couple guys like that."—

Pittsburgh Penguins July 04, 2014

I like the sound of that. 

• Like 1

his cheap shots and then score a goal on a feed from Crosby.

Downie will never sniff the day of Crosby's jock strap. From a Flyers fan you should take that with the utmost complement and insult. 

Downie will never sniff the day of Crosby's jock strap. From a Flyers fan you should take that with the utmost complement and insult. 

They used to say that about Dupuis too.  I know he won't be a fixture on Sid's line, but it would be funny to see the Wells Fargo center go nuts about it.   LOL 

It's interesting how different GM's work....the Pens would have never even considered Downie last year.

I'm still no Rutherford fan. I don't like this signing. It's VERY low risk though. And I DO like the Erhoff signing. The Neal trade is slowly winning me over but that depends solely on Hornqvist. i like Comeau. So I'm in wait and see mode still...

I'm still no Rutherford fan. I don't like this signing. It's VERY low risk though. And I DO like the Erhoff signing. The Neal trade is slowly winning me over but that depends solely on Hornqvist. i like Comeau. So I'm in wait and see mode still...

That's fair.  I do think you'll end up absolutely loving the Hornqvist thing.

That's fair.  I do think you'll end up absolutely loving the Hornqvist thing.

I've gotten over the Neal trade, I think its the best for all. Maybe Neal learns a lesson out of it.  For the Pens, I think Hornqvist will thrive, and give the Pens the net front presence at even strength and the PP that they need.,

@ruxpin

@nossagog

I just haven't seen enough of Hornqvist to know yet. I like what I'm reading but I want to see it before deciding. Just thought we could get more for Neal, despite his discipline issues.

Poor Neal though... Who will feed him the puck? His value just went down.

Just thought we could get more for Neal, despite his discipline issues.

Honestly,though, I actually think Nashville overpaid.  And I really hate thinking either Pitt or Rutherford got the better of a deal.  

By the way, I don't think I've read anyone comment on this (I admittedly haven't paid real close attention), but I find it ironic that the guy Lavy was so ticked off at that he went after another head coach and got himself fined over is now going to play for him.

@ruxpin

@Vanflyer

That exact irony crossed my mind typing about it earlier of all things. I actually wondered if Laviolette WANTED that brought to the Predators. A little Cooke/Downie spirit but with a great shooter's stick. The down side will be nobody to feed him the puck in the high slot. I think Neal has his own credible talent, as a shooter, but he's not good at carrying the puck. I'd assume he'll skate with Fisher or maybe Smith, but Gaustad? Eric Nystrom? Their options are very limited in playmaking ability.

The down side will be nobody to feed him the puck in the high slot. I think Neal has his own credible talent, as a shooter, but he's not good at carrying the puck. I'd assume he'll skate with Fisher or maybe Smith, but Gaustad? Eric Nystrom? Their options are very limited in playmaking ability.

Hey P922-  as much as I diss Neal, i diss downie worrse. Its the strangest thing I have seen for 3rd tier players. I am ignorant, but I hope the pens got some picks in the pocket when all is said and done. 

Hey P922- as much as I diss Neal, i diss downie worrse. Its the strangest thing I have seen for 3rd tier players. I am ignorant, but I hope the pens got some picks in the pocket when all is said and done.

The argument is Hornqvist scores 20 alone, so what would he do with Malkin? Guess we'll find out!

• Like 1

The argument is Hornqvist scores 20 alone, so what would he do with Malkin? Guess we'll find out!

I'm thinking Horny (lol, see what I did there  :thumbsd: ) joins a pretty exclusive 35 goal club this coming year. Pretty sure he will take Neal's spot on the top pp also, which should add 10 goals alone, just from being with that kinda elite talent and having the man advantage. Pretty sure he will play with Malkin on the second line, but don't rule out a stay with Crosby either.

@Polaris922  Horny, as far as I can tell, is just semi-creative with the puck....he needs talent surrounding him to compile top notch production. He's never really had that through is career, so we are about to see the very best Hornqvist we have ever seen as a pro. Even with the putrid Preds offense, he managed 30 goals, 27...22 last  year....there is a outside chance this guy could touch 40 goals, if he can kick in 30 with Mike friggin Fisher as the guy feeding him the puck. Sid and Malkenstein are obviously a BIG step up in talent from anything he has ever played with. He's also 27, so just entering his prime....he really could let loose next year, a very nice gamble by the Pens IMHO.

@Polaris922 Horny, as far as I can tell, is just semi-creative with the puck....he needs talent surrounding him to compile top notch production. He's never really had that through is career, so we are about to see the very best Hornqvist we have ever seen as a pro. Even with the putrid Preds offense, he managed 30 goals, 27...22 last year....there is a outside chance this guy could touch 40 goals, if he can kick in 30 with Mike friggin Fisher as the guy feeding him the puck. Sid and Malkenstein are obviously a BIG step up in talent from anything he has ever played with. He's also 27, so just entering his prime....he really could let loose next year, a very nice gamble by the Pens IMHO.

Here's hoping! Lol