If we go into next season with the current lineup, do we make playoffs

RonJeremy

Maybe it's just me, but I really think that Umberger can be a 25 - 30 goal winger playing with Giroux and Voracek, be the defensive conscience on the line and not cost the club with inopportune penalties.

I don't know if it's just you but it's definitely not me - lol! Seriously I can't see anything close to 30 goals out of RJ no matter who he plays with. In any case I hope they didn't bring him to skate top-line minutes. It's been awhile - a few  years at least - since RJ hit his career-high of 26 goals.

But I don't want to trash the guy - I always liked RJ and I like your post for the most part - he can be effective on the PP if he earns the time (we'll see). Defensively he's good, etc. But I'm not expecting much more than 40pts out of him....and maybe I'll be happily surprised!

@canoli  I'd be happy with 20 goals, increasing team mobility and some help for the special teams. If he brings that, I'll be happy with the trade. One thing history tells us, the bigger the game, the better RJ we see, and this team was missing a bit of that kind of spark, so I welcome that aspect with open arms.

• Like 1

It can go either way, who knows, maybe Trotz is the one guy that can get through to OV, Lord knows, Alexander's way was not working. If OV does buy in, Washington becomes trouble with a capital T.

while I agree to an extent jammer this is the same RJ that was benched during the biggest games of the CBJ season last year...

just playing devils afvocate here and not saying it is not going to work... I am in "wait and see" mode w/ this one. 

Edited by murraycraven
  • Like 1

while I agree to an extent jammer this is the same RJ that was benched during the biggest games of the CBJ season last year...

just playing devils afvocate here and not saying it is not going to work... I am in "wait and see" mode w/ this one.

Ok devils advocate over the last 4 years Hartnell only has 31 points more and only 18 more goals....and he gets top line minutes playing with the 2 best forwards on the team and was playing on the top PP as well. So yeah lets just wait and see.

over the last 4 years Hartnell only has 31 points more and only 18 more goals

and 27 of those points and 17 of those goals were with jagr.  bottom line, they are at worst offensive equals, in terms of straight production.

• Like 1

bottom line, they are at worst offensive equals, in terms of straight production.

Sure, except Hartnell is the textbook case for "it isn't all about the numbers." All the stuff in addition to the points is what defines Hartnell's game - some good some bad. RJ is a safer bet and we don't lose many points but I think the top line got easier to play against w/out Hartnell - unless BSchenn turns up the intensity and keeps it turned up (and if he gets the job of course).

• Like 1

I could see 20-25 If he played with them and stayed healthy.

But it's the third line for RJ which to me opens up Read for the first potentially. If not Read then it'll be Raffl, but in really kinda like the idea of Read up there. It could be big.

Then of course how much offense do you lose from the third line?

I don't know if it's just you but it's definitely not me - lol! Seriously I can't see anything close to 30 goals out of RJ no matter who he plays with. In any case I hope they didn't bring him to skate top-line minutes. It's been awhile - a few years at least - since RJ hit his career-high of 26 goals.

But I don't want to trash the guy - I always liked RJ and I like your post for the most part - he can be effective on the PP if he earns the time (we'll see). Defensively he's good, etc. But I'm not expecting much more than 40pts out of him....and maybe I'll be happily surprised!

Brayden on 1st line wing?

bold move but I think a really good choice if he can do it.

Frees up VLC for 2nd line c and makes room for Laughton when they eventually move Vinny.

Laughton's potential skill sets seem to suggest he should stick at Center more than Schenn if you had to choose between the two.

Vice versa too. I'd rather have Schenn adapt to wing than Laughton.

Where'd you hear this or is it conjecture?

I dont see him playing the wing on the 1st line honestly. I think they are giving the spot to Schenn starting in camp and hoping he runs w/ the opportunity.

I don't know what RJ has in the tank, but I think benching him was short sighted (unless he was hurt or less effective or something).

He didn't fit in with their system, but sometimes you need a guy with a proven track record of being clutch.

And seeing as how the blue jackets aren't playoff perrennials, they didn't have a lot if that in the roster. Now they have less because Hartsy's game changed from that if ever he was anything close to a "big goal" type guy

Sure, except Hartnell is the textbook case for "it isn't all about the numbers." All the stuff in addition to the points is what defines Hartnell's game - some good some bad. RJ is a safer bet and we don't lose many points but I think the top line got easier to play against w/out Hartnell - unless BSchenn turns up the intensity and keeps it turned up (and if he gets the job of course).

All true. For their statistical similarities, Hartnell and Umberger are very very different players. It'll be interesting to see how much it changes the Flyers in general.

I don't know what RJ has in the tank, but I think benching him was short sighted (unless he was hurt or less effective or something).

I think Columbus is doing a large scale new leaf thing. New players, new mindset, new fortunes. Umberger was the old guard, he sat some in favor of the new. Which... It makes some sense. Less about in the moment preformance, more about a headstart on the new look to the team.

I'm in the wait and see mode, with no expectations. It depends too much on how Berube plans to use him (LW1, utility forward, checker, etc). On the bright side, he could probably fill any of those roles.

I think he is going to be used more in a defensive role position so i expect him to be on the line with Coots...RJ-Coots-Read for a shutdown defensive line type.

Could be OR - but I thought this was the year Couturier was going to get more offensive zone starts, maybe even center the 2nd line. It's probably a tough call for Berube...Couturier is so good defensively you hate to move him. Plus who else can take his place if he moves up to the 2nd line?

This year he should get more offensive zone time. Hitch did something similar with Carter the first year or 2 made him concentrate on D. The difference of course is Couturier really shined right away - so much the Flyers decided to leave him in a checking role....But this year hopefully he gets a long look as a scoring center - that is what he was touted to be wasn't it? Offensively gifted?

• Like 1

Would be nice to see Coots get more offensive zone time....however like it was just mentioned...who takes Coots spot defensively. Certainly worth watching when training camp opens.

Well, if RJ is so great why not have him be the next Cooter and be the shutdown center?

Where ya heading, doc?

heading back to Disney! :)  This time we are staying in the same zone. ;)

Serioulsy...we will be in Walt Disney World in Florida from Sept. 8th thru the 18th.  Staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge again. We were there several years ago when our son was 18 months and we loved it.  Gonna be a great trip.  Our son turned 6 back in May and our daughter turns 4 in November.  So our kiddo's are that great age.  We prefer Disney World over Disneyland. If you remember that is where we went last year.  Don't get me wrong..we had a blast last year, but Disney World is so much bigger with alot more to do.  Our daughter just hit the 40 inch height requirement for almost all the rides we want to ride so it is really going to be a fun trip. She met all the Princesses last year and she can't wait to meet them again along with Elsa and Anna from the movie Frozen.  She LOVES that movie.  34 days and counting...but who is counting.  Our family just loves Disney and fortunately I have been blessed with a good job that allows us to go on these types of trips.

Next year as a surprise we are planning on taking our family back to Disney to celebrate our daughter's 5th birthday.  It is only fair since our son got to celebrate his 5th birthday last year at Disneyland.  We are trying to keep things fair and plus our daughter deserves to have a special event for her birthday too! So yeah we sort of Disney fanatics! :)

Thanks for asking!

Edited by pilldoc