Flyers sign Ryan White

Podein25

Figured I'd start a thread for once...

I like it. He's a 4th liner pure and simple. Heart and soul guy, will fight etc. Nothing special other than that. One thing: he is a fast skater.

Great article in the Montreal press last month: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Stubbs+Plugger+from+prairies+gave+heart+soul+tooth+Habs/10001763/story.html

Greetings Sir Podein:

Well, the Phantoms need help and it sounds as if he may have some value to the O and B. Hexy is showing some restraint by not going nuts in the early phases of free agency.  I like that.

Best,

Howie

• Like 1

Greetings to you sir @Howie58

Long time...

White will compete like mad at camp and make it difficult to Chief to send him down. He likely will though and wait for his chance with injuries, which are inevitable. Flyers fans will love him. 

Nice story from the Gazette...a good work ethic will make up for lack of talent in many things in life.  

Glad to hear from you...this has been a relatively quiet summer.  I like the MDZ signing.  Maybe someone will offer something for VLC.  Meanwhile, the D is a little better but it is among many worries I have for an upcoming transition season.

Peace,

Howie

Nice write-up....good to see a guy end his term on a team with class. He might not be the most talented guy out there, but he provides energy and he's respectful. 

Basically he's a better version of Rinaldo, can pk and take faceoffs. Isn't afraid of anyone. Can be prone to stupid penalties, usually sticking up for teammates which sort of gives him a pass IMO.

Edited by flyercanuck

@Podein25  This is GREAT news!!  I've *always* been a huge Ryan White fan. A perfect 4th liner who can...yes...skate and fight. It's funny....many many times I've watched and muttered "this guy plays Flyer hockey"....and always wanted him on the team.

Thought these were interesting comments by Meltzer:  obviously, he's NOT exactly a penalty magnet.

He averaged 9:41 of ice time per game, with 1:46 coming on the penalty kill. In 24 home games, the pivot won 55.43 percent of his faceoffs. On the road, he won 46.57 percent. The righthanded shooting White posted two goals, four assists and six points. 

White took 10 minor penalties in 2013-14 (two hookings, two roughings, two trippings, one delay of game for flipping the puck over the glass in the defensive zone, one holding, one high sticking and one interference). He had four fights and received one 10-minute misconduct.

@DaGreatGazoo  Wow, that is a very odd disparity between home face off wins and road face off wins.....wonder what in the world could cause that?

I just found out a few days ago that Adam Hall signed on in the KHL, so Ryan White has a clear road to the 4th line spot....although Mr.Laughton might have something to say about that. In my mind, I'd like to see Laughts getting top line and top pp time in the AHL rather than a 4th line assignment in the NHL. If Ryan can come close to winning 52% and provide grit and speed and a decent forecheck....he could be a real nice addition. He's only a middleweight, but I've seen him knock some players right out...he has a real nice right hand!!

@DaGreatGazoo  Wow, that is a very odd disparity between home face off wins and road face off wins.....wonder what in the world could cause that?

I just found out a few days ago that Adam Hall signed on in the KHL, so Ryan White has a clear road to the 4th line spot....although Mr.Laughton might have something to say about that. In my mind, I'd like to see Laughts getting top line and top pp time in the AHL rather than a 4th line assignment in the NHL. If Ryan can come close to winning 52% and provide grit and speed and a decent forecheck....he could be a real nice addition. He's only a middleweight, but I've seen him knock some players right out...he has a real nice right hand!!

I agree, Jammer.  Let Laughton get some time in the AHL, even if it's "just" part of the season before a call up, or injury call up.

Get used to the professional life-travel, training, etc.    White's on a 1 year deal--which like MZD, could be a great bridge deal to get some youngsters on the big club the following year.

@DaGreatGazoo

@jammer2

A Flyer team that is better on faceoffs and faster - both of which look to be the case on paper at least - is something everyone should be happy with. Throw in some character and you have the makings of a team that may surprise, and should be fun to watch.

@flyercanuck - agree with the analogy: a more versatile, slightly less crazy, version of Rinaldo. In fact, I wonder if Zac's days in Philly are numbered.

@DaGreatGazoo

@jammer2

Again agree with the above consenus.  Very nice pick-up by Hexy.  A very nice player who, as all have mentioned, should replace Hall.  Nice to see that he can win  FO's.  Gives some nice grit to the 4th line. 

In regard to Laughton, I have mixed feelings.  I would love to see him get some minutes possibly on the 3rd line the way Coots went, however, I do realize the need for him to be playing top line minutes in the AHL, where once he gets to the Flyers, that is where he will be most beneficial.

Edited by pilldoc

@DaGreatGazoo

@jammer2

A Flyer team that is better on faceoffs and faster - both of which look to be the case on paper at least - is something everyone should be happy with. Throw in some character and you have the makings of a team that may surprise, and should be fun to watch.

@flyercanuck - agree with the analogy: a more versatile, slightly less crazy, version of Rinaldo. In fact, I wonder if Zac's days in Philly are numbered.

Hey Sheep Molester--I agree with the faceoffs/speed angle--both of those factor into Hextall's vision of being a better puck possession team.  

Hey Sheep Molester--I agree with the faceoffs/speed angle--both of those factor into Hextall's vision of being a better puck possession team.  

LOL....that is pretty funny!  you do realize I will have nightmares now everytime I pass by a farm and see sheep. ;)

@Podein25

Life is good!  Just got back from 10 days at the beach.  Heading to Key West in September for a week.  No complaints..well, I can't seem to win that lottery thing, but other than that....

How is life for you?  All settled in following the move?

How was your vacation?  My family has 30 days til Disney!  What week you gonna be down in key west?  We will be in Disney Sept. 8th -18th.  Enjoy the time off! ......  Don't we all want to win the lottery! ;)

@DaGreatGazoo

Thanks for asking.

Life is finally settled following the kind of upheaval that only a life in politics can uniquely provide. What doesn't kill you....

Plus, a harrowing Winterpeg winter. Normally' I'd just head to Cuba or Mexico to avoid the worst of it but was not able to this winter, so just had to endure. 

Good to be back here among old friends talking hockey...

Edited by Podein25