POLL: MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT IN PITTSBURGH PENGUIN HISTORY

yave1964

PENGUIN POWER!!  

10 members have voted

1. 1. WHAT IS THE MEMORABLE MOMENT IN PENGUIN HISTORY?

• Back to back, 1991 and 1992 Stanley Cup champions!
    • Tank job, doing what it took to land super Mario
    • The lottery: Adding the Kid
    • 2009 Stanley Cup victory over Wings
    • Return of the King: Mario returns from retirement to win back to back scoring titles

These guys have so many more than a lot of other teams, it was difficult to narrow it to a top five, but here is my list of top five moments in Penguins history for your perusal and for you to vote.

THE TANK JOB: LANDING MARIO LEMIEUX

No serious fan can truly say that the Penguins did not go into an absolute tank mode to land Mario in 1984 and no fan can really blame them either. The franchise was in trouble, rumors that they were moving to Kansas City or possibly even closing up shop abound, the savior, Mario the great was the ultimate prize for the team that had the worst record in the game.m_Aa44ENd5stZ5NSMvCjElg.jpg

On February 17th, 1984 the Pens knocked off the Canucks to run their record to an unimpressive 13-41-5 and going nowhere they were battling the Devils for the worst record in the game and the rights to Mario. From that point on, thru sheer determination and lack of effort the Pens went 3-17-1 to edge the Devils for the worst record and claim their prize, the Devils to their credit tried their best to finish last going 1-11-1 down the stretch but could not quite equal the Pens non effort.

RETURN OF THE KING: MARIO KILLS CANCER AND RETURNS STRONG AS EVER

Okay, all joking aside, settle down B21, this may be the toughest son of a gun to ever lace them up. Forgetting the records, the 199 point season, all of that, he battled ailments that made Josh Harding look like he has a hangnail.

Hodgkin's lymphona could not beat him. Neither could multiple back surgeries. Retiring early and making a comeback? no problem, hip surgery schmip surgery. It took an irregular heart beat to finally force him to give up the game and by then he had secured his legacy as one of the top players in the history of the game, And lets not forget he saved hockey for Pittsburgh.

From his two longest stints away from the game, he returned in 1996 after a year and a half way recovering from Hodgkins and to lead the league in scoring back to back years with 161 and 122 points. He then was forced to retire for three years and when he came back, although seldom able to stay fully in the lineup, over the next four years he managed 170 games and 229 points before retiring. mu9mn7aGtJk_Pt9W8b8IWcg.jpg

I could go on and on. The man is simply a God of the game and deserves recognition as such.

BACK TO BACK CUPS: 1991 AND 1992 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS

Wow were these stacked clubs. In addition to Mario scoring 78 points over the two years in 38 post season games (read that again) Studly Jaromir Jagr bust on the scene as a teenager, Bryan Trottier added his steadying influence to the team, Ron Francis and Ulf Samuelsson came over from Hartford, Barrasso was a steadying influence in goal, first Badger Bob and then Scotty Bowman led this team to cups with HOFers Coffey and Murphy on defense and the underrated Mark Recchi and Kevin Stevens banging the perfect passes from super Mario.

So many stars i forgot about Joe Mullen. And perfect spear carriers like Errey and Gary Roberts.

mtMUwTlIK0aFCzU0Bm9Yuzg.jpg

WINNING THE LOTTO: THE PENGUINS GET THE KID

Once again the Pens were staring down the financial abyss and fortune smiled their way when in 2005 the ping pong balls bounced their way and they managed to add the generations top talent when after the locked out year, the clubs were forced to have a lottery for draft order rather than go by record, because their was no season the year before to go by. The Pens got the first pick and nabbed Sid Crosby who like new owner Mario before him has saved the franchise and rescued them from ruin.

Sid, like Mario is on eheck of a player, gets his share of bad pub and is hated by rival fan bases but brings it every night, he has won two Harts including one as a 19 year old, one championship and missed by an eyelash in another.

PENGUINS WIN CUP IN 2009

After barely losing to the Wings in 2008, the two teams met again in 2009 and this time Crosby and Malkin and Company would not be denied. With Fleury solid in net and a balanced attack behind the big two the 2008-9 Penguins rolled over the Flyers in 6, survived Ovie and the Pens in 7 and swept the Canes before defeating the Wings 4 games to 3 in a wonderful series. Malkin won the Conn Smythe wit

Conn Smythe by going 14-22-36 in an outstanding post season run.

Lots of deserving items left off the list, Mario with 199 points, a Presidents trophy in 1993, many more. A solid franchise, one of the best in the game. Opinions?

Crosby having his teeth knocked out by a Derian Hatcher forearm shiver didnt make the poll?

Now that my obligatory sarcastic comment is in the books, I voted for Super Mario returning from kicking cancer's ass to lead the league in scoring.

I voted for the back to back Cup wins in 91 and 92. Not only for the historic value of rare back to back Stanley Cup victories, but it was *how* it was accomplished. The Cup against the Stars in particular was Mario at his magnificent best. The goal where he went through the entire Stars team and neatly tucked it into a gaping net....well, that was just a man playing with boys. It actually looked like a pro playing against little kids, he was that dominant, that superior. Some of those goals were every bit as impressive as Wayne's elite highlights. What a shame the injuries took so many special memories from us before his time was up.

1) Drafting Lemieux. I was at the arena(yes I'm that old) watching the draft with the rest of the season and partial season ticket holders(all 10 of us had a great time). 

2) The first cup, years of frustrations all washed away. "Lord Stanley, Lord Stanley, pass me the Brandy"

3) The day Mario flew into Philly just hours after his last cancer treatment, and had a goal and an assist in the game.  What a story that year was. 60 games, 160 points while battling cancer.

@nossagog  I've been to 1 draft live in all my years....this one...at the Joe Louis arena.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1987e.html

A few odds and ends, keeping the Pittsburgh topic at hand....I know 13 other teams passed on him also, but WOW....Joe Sakic goes 15th overall. You have to wonder how the Pens fate would have evolved if they selected Joe Sakic with the 6th pick, instead of Chris Joseph. My feelings are, the course of the franchise would have been altered completely. Joe would have made them respectable enough that they would have never been in the position to draft Mario. Weird how one pick, or lack of ....changes everything forever, huh?

Kinda neat, I did not know until taking a peak at the 2nd round, but I saw John LeClair and Eric Desjardins get drafted live....that is so cool.

OK...edit, totally forgot that Mario was BEFORE Joe....so Joe could have actually been playing with Mario...wow.

Edited by jammer2

@nossagog  I've been to 1 draft live in all my years....this one...at the Joe Louis arena.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1987e.html

A few odds and ends, keeping the Pittsburgh topic at hand....I know 13 other teams passed on him also, but WOW....Joe Sakic goes 15th overall. You have to wonder how the Pens fate would have evolved if they selected Joe Sakic with the 6th pick, instead of Chris Joseph. My feelings are, the course of the franchise would have been altered completely. Joe would have made them respectable enough that they would have never been in the position to draft Mario. Weird how one pick, or lack of ....changes everything forever, huh?

Kinda neat, I did not know until taking a peak at the 2nd round, but I saw John LeClair and Eric Desjardins get drafted live....that is so cool.

OK...edit, totally forgot that Mario was BEFORE Joe....so Joe could have actually been playing with Mario...wow.

The what if's are always fun.  If they would have drafted Sakic, would they have made the trade that brought Ron Francis, Grant Jennings and the Ulfmeister in 1990????  Never know, they might NOT have won those cups.  

1990, Pens take a chance on a player named Jaromir Jagr, not knowing if they can get him out of eastern Europe.  That one worked out pretty well.   What a draft that was.

Edited by nossagog

@Yorick  Yeah, I turn 50 in 15 months, so I'm getting up there!  Started watching hockey when I was 5, remember everything from 7 and up, although some things in the 70's can be fuzzy....lol.

Dude, that's water under the bridge for me. And even some of the early 80's has some holes in it.