NHL Expansion Teams: Fans' Jersey and Logo Ideas

Irishjim

The internet was abuzz Tuesday night when rumours swirled of the NHL's potential expansion plans. Although the NHL has denied any and all reports, we can still have some fun with the idea. After all it is still August.

A couple of days ago, we asked the social media world to send us some possible names, logos and jerseys for the new teams in Las Vegas, Seattle, Toronto and Quebec City. We received some pretty great ones, but also some not so great ones as well.

Here they are! And if you think you can do better than these, send us your ideas and designs and maybe we'll post them as well

​read and view designs here ---> http://www.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?NHL%2bExpansion%2bTeams%253a%2bFans%27%2bJersey%2band%2bLogo%2bIdeas&id=460549

@pilldoc

I was curious about the Marlies name as well some time back, so did some research on it.

If I remember correctly, the Marlies are named after a former Toronto Jr. Hockey team, the Toronto Marlboroughs.

The name Marlborough itself, came from a founding family of the team.

Marlies was chosen as an abbreviated version to distant the name from the Marlboro cigarette brand.

So, in essence, a "Marlie" is just a shortened version of the Marlborough family name.

• 7 months later...

Thread **BUMP**

Not that it's official, but I see more n more stories throughout hockey talking about Las Vegas becoming a reality sooner than later.

Personally, I don't think a team in Vegas should be allowed before places like Quebec, Seattle, Kansas City, or even Portland or Salt Lake City, but that is just me I guess.

However, if the NHL is bound and determined to put a team in Vegas, I guess we can discuss that.

Here is an article from ESPN (yes, yes, I know...its ESPN...lol) that I found both interesting and even a bit hilarious.

Some possible team names and unis for a Las Vegas based hockey team.

I will tell you up front that there are some very good ideas floating around the internet about such a thing, but THIS particular article...well, it isn't one of them.

Some real clunker names on there......Las Vegas Bones POSSIBLY being ok, yet still kinda wonky.....IMO anyways.

Weird or not (and being from ESPN too), it made for a bit of an interesting read...if only in a chuckle, snicker, hee haw kinda way. ;)

Have a look:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/12551758/nhl-las-vegas-team-names

I don't think a team in Vegas should be allowed before places like Quebec, Seattle, Kansas City, or even Portland or Salt Lake City, but that is just me I guess.

Totally agree with that TFG...Quebec would be a guaranteed success....ditto for Seattle. Those places deserve a team WAY before Las Vegas....this has Buttman written all over it. Go for the guaranteed success, not the location that you think is missing in the overall scheme. A team in Vegas would be very dependent on tourists to attend the game....I don't think the city of Vegas would be very open to supporting a team....which makes that a no-go in my mind.

• 2 months later...

Giving this thread yet another **Bump** for a bit of revival...thought during the off season, it would be fun to post and discuss ideas that are floating around the internet regarding possible expansion franchises in the NHL.

Gary Bettman seems determined to shoehorn a team in Vegas, but there are other cities we can discuss here as well.

I think a return to Quebec would be cool.  Sure, it messes with the alignment and the whole East-West team totals thing, but somehow, some way, Quebec should get a team once again.

Here are some cool jersey ideas for a new Quebec franchise:

St%25C3%25A9phaneSinotte-QUE.png

I rather like the whole Husky/Malamute motif, the keeping of the classic colors, and even the 3rd jersey that harkens back to the original Nordiques.

Giving this thread yet another **Bump** for a bit of revival...thought during the off season, it would be fun to post and discuss ideas that are floating around the internet regarding possible expansion franchises in the NHL.

Gary Bettman seems determined to shoehorn a team in Vegas, but there are other cities we can discuss here as well.

I think a return to Quebec would be cool.  Sure, it messes with the alignment and the whole East-West team totals thing, but somehow, some way, Quebec should get a team once again.

Here are some cool jersey ideas for a new Quebec franchise:

St%25C3%25A9phaneSinotte-QUE.png

I rather like the whole Husby/Malamute motif, the keeping of the classic colors, and even the 3rd jersey that harkens back to the original Nordiques.

I really , really like that jersey.... Of course I love Malamutes, but regardless...the jerey looks cool and modern, while honoring the past.  :thumbsu:

• 5 months later...

Bring back the Nordiques! Get rid of the Columbus Blue Jackets and have them move to Quebec City.

Get rid of the Nashville Predators and have Seattle get a team.

Las Vegas I just can't picture them having a team. Sorry about that there.

Las Vegas I just can't picture them having a team. Sorry about that there.

Well I would agree in principal, but in terms of the almighty dollar (which is what it's all about) it actually makes alot more sense than, say, Phoenix (also in the desert) or Columbus (where the Buckeyes rule).

I'd prefer there not be a team in Vegas, and I think this was tabled for the time being, but it wouldn't necessarily surprise me if it happened....especially in the context of a potential relocation

Archived