Blue Jackets GM blasts Ryan Johansen, agent for contract demands

fan4ever

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=461988

This is getting a little out of control.  

Talks between the Columbus Blue Jackets and leading scorer Ryan Johansen are clearly at a contentious impasse. Johansen's agent, Kurt Overhardt, said the young star left Columbus on Wednesday - a day before the start of training camp. According to GM John Davidson, the team has made offers of $6 million for two years, $32 million for six and $46 million over eight years and all were refused by the restricted free agent centre.

There are some nice deals there.  I hope he isn't biting off his nose to spite his face........

@flyercanuck  I think Ryan has top 10 skill level in this league. There is only one outcome from a bridge, the Jackets paying dearly for not locking him up long term. Regardless of how long he's done it, the points will come in buckets....if they want to avoid a max contract 2 years from now, the smart play is long term money. Just my 2 cents.

And you're not wrong. I'm pretty confident Johanson will earn his big payday. If you recall, I wanted Philly to trade Carter for him when he was still in junior. There were plenty here who also thought Bryz was a good signing. Until he plays great consistently year after year though, he's only got one good season in him so far. 

@flyercanuck  I think Ryan has top 10 skill level in this league. There is only one outcome from a bridge, the Jackets paying dearly for not locking him up long term. Regardless of how long he's done it, the points will come in buckets....if they want to avoid a max contract 2 years from now, the smart play is long term money. Just my 2 cents.

Maybe he will reach that ceiling, and maybe he won't. What if it takes him 5 years to get there? Is that worth $7M per year while you wait? 

Teams like the Blue Jackets can't afford to make bad investments and write them off like the Flyers can. From a business perspective, what the Blue Jackets are doing makes sense.

@fan4ever  I would not sign a 8 year deal for 46 mill either if I was Ryan. He's worth 7 mill a year on a long term deal and his agent knows it. 6 mill for 2 years....that is a joke. I don't care if he's only had one good year, his skill level is off the charts, he's easily a top 10 player skill wise. Better than Kopitar offensively right now.

Talks between the Columbus Blue Jackets and leading scorer Ryan Johansen are clearly at a contentious impasse. Johansen's agent, Kurt Overhardt, said the young star left Columbus on Wednesday - a day before the start of training camp. According to GM John Davidson, the team has made offers of $6 million for two years, $32 million for six and $46 million over eight years and all were refused by the restricted free agent centre.

There are some nice deals there.  I hope he isn't biting off his nose to spite his face........

Wow, if that's true, I'm not sure what to say. 

Good riddance, Ryan.

You don't think so? He'd just sit?

Nope, he wouldn't sign for 4.5...

@fan4ever  I would not sign a 8 year deal for 46 mill either if I was Ryan. He's worth 7 mill a year on a long term deal and his agent knows it. 6 mill for 2 years....that is a joke. I don't care if he's only had one good year, his skill level is off the charts, he's easily a top 10 player skill wise. Better than Kopitar offensively right now.

So riddle me this Batman, why not sign a nice bridge for two years, maybe not at 3 mil perhaps 4.

I would have that kind of confidence in myself.  If I'm Ryan and know how good I am, I'm out there proving it for the next two years and make them pay in the long term deal later.  If they don't want to pay then and I'm as good as a top 10 player skill wise I'm sure somebody will offer me what I'm worth.

We've seen too many players given the keys to the kingdom and then something happens......

We've seen too many players given the keys to the kingdom and then something happens......

I get what you are saying 4ever, but I just feel really strongly that Ryan is a true superstar.....and I'm betting more than a few GM's feel the same way. The fact that there are "0" offers for this kid is perhaps the strongest evidence of collusion to date.

So riddle me this Batman, why not sign a nice bridge for two years, maybe not at 3 mil perhaps 4.

I would have that kind of confidence in myself. If I'm Ryan and know how good I am, I'm out there proving it for the next two years and make them pay in the long term deal later. If they don't want to pay then and I'm as good as a top 10 player skill wise I'm sure somebody will offer me what I'm worth.

OK, throw out the fact that Ryan just turned 22 this summer. Throw out the fact that about 90% of break out players continue to improve stats wise until their 5th or 6th year.....throw all that stuff out. If Ryan can even match last years production, 33 goals and 63 pts....that production alone is worth more than 3-4 mill. Lots of 15-20 goal scorers make 3-4 mill in this league. I really think the odds are slim that Ryan's production will recede this year, and that is exactly what Ryan's agent is arguing.

OK, throw out the fact that Ryan just turned 22 this summer. Throw out the fact that about 90% of break out players continue to improve stats wise until their 5th or 6th year.....throw all that stuff out. If Ryan can even match last years production, 33 goals and 63 pts....that production alone is worth more than 3-4 mill. Lots of 15-20 goal scorers make 3-4 mill in this league. I really think the odds are slim that Ryan's production will recede this year, and that is exactly what Ryan's agent is arguing.

That's completely fair - and I think Davidson mentioned in an article offering $3.5M per year on a 2-year bridge deal. But if the agent doesn't even budge off his $6.5M figure - which is $1M per year more than franchise-player Tavares makes - it's hard to argue the agent is bargaining in good faith. I'm really unsure what his objective is. It's clear the team will not meet that unreasonable demand, and he's making his client miss an NHL training camp and possible some games/full season. For what? It's really hard to see the fairness in the agent's position.

Tavares had seasons of 54, 67, and 81 points on his ELC before getting a $5.5M x 6 year contract last year. He was a PPG player when he signed that extension. And he is considered by most to be a franchise player.

Johansen had seasons of 21, 12 (in 40 games), and 63 points on his ELC. 

How is that immediately worth a monster contract? Dude still has some proving to do, and that's the only thing the team is saying. 

Or, how about this:

Player A - 192 NHL games, 40 goals, 87 points.

Player B - 189 NHL games, 47 games, 96 points

Player A is Brayden Schenn and he just signed a $2.5M/year bridge deal for 2 years.

Player B is demanding $6.5M per year.

Something's out of whack, and it's not Davidson.

Regardless of how long he's done it, the points will come in buckets....if they want to avoid a max contract 2 years from now, the smart play is long term money. Just my 2 cents.

Better yet, just trade him to the flyers. We dont mind paying exorbitant amount of money and long term contracts. Lets say, hmmmm, voracek for Johansen strait up (and I am not a voracek basher).  

I think Davidson is just going to have to give in to a bridge contract favorable to Johansen.  This deal will get done before the start of the season.  No way will the Blue Jackets take the risk to start the season at the bottom of the Metro division as they will also be without Horton indefinitely with back issues.  

I think Davidson is just going to have to give in to a bridge contract favorable to Johansen.

While I agree with the whole "you only have done this one year" part of the argument, I truly believe Johansen is going to be a superstar. I did not watch much of Columbus during the regular season, but during the playoffs against Pitts, I repeatedly was gushing over Johansen and kept asking "who is this player?". 

If I am davidson, I pony up and give him the 6.5 for 5 years. I think he is worth it. 

I gotta say, Ryan's agent is doing a great job for him. He's going to singlehandely at least double the return some guys would have got.

The latest??  Ryan is using the KHL offers as leverage against his current employer. One comes in at 5 mill, 5 others have not disclosed the cash offers. Really nice job by the agent, playing the 2 leauges against each other. Who knows if Johannson would even entertain the offer to play in the KHL, but the fact the offer(s) even exist have put a new dimension into these negotiations.

Perhaps having the KHL threat looming bates the Jackets into forgettting about the bridge deal and move right into long term talks. Who would want to have the KHL hanging over their heads every time you go to do a deal? 

The latest polls on the situation has the public 85% in favour of the team, I'm in the 15% that are siding with the player. The NHL owners have all colluded to the point where this young star was not offered one single contract....so it looks good on them that the KHL is providing the competition that the NHL refuses to be part of.

It's gotta be tempting for some teams to not break ranks and offer sheet Johansson. Teams like Phoenix, Toronto (although Nylander is on the way in a year or so), Winnipeg....those teams really lack firepower at the center position. There is no doubt that a max contract for many years would cause the Jackets to back off and take the pics. You don't often get access to a talent like Ryan, it's rare that a GM would put such a skilled player into such a precarious position. It's gotta be killing some GM's, just watching him sit there and be unable to put together a financial package. I can really see Ryan turning into a 100 pt center, give or take 10 pts in either direction.

Archived