Blue Jackets GM blasts Ryan Johansen, agent for contract demands

fan4ever

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/blue-jackets-gm-blasts-ryan-johansen--agent-for-contract-demands-140035591

It would be sad to see the Blue Jackets have to start out the season with this issue hanging over their heads after last years success.  I tend to agree with the GM on this one.  

@fan4ever

That is not looking good. They are quite far apart. If RJ doesn't report to camp then it is a hold out. He should do the right thing and report (in good condition I hope), as a gesture of good faith, and ask to for a deal that is closer to where the market is for a player of his skill (he's their only star).

But his agent will advise against it and it will get uglier...

Sounds like Hexy should give their GM a call...

Sounds like Hexy should give their GM a call...

VLC for RJ straight up......and Obama has been impeached....and I am sending out wedding invitations for my marriage to Sofia Veraga......Damn, the dream sequence is out of order again........ :confused[1]:

He should do the right thing and report (in good condition I hope), as a gesture of good faith

Not sure about that. He is without a contract, and consequently, without protection. If he gets injured, he's got nothing protecting his value. I hear what you're saying, and agree with the logic, but why risk something that could cost you MILLIONS of dollars when you don't have a contract with that organization?

Not sure about that. He is without a contract, and consequently, without protection. If he gets injured, he's got nothing protecting his value. I hear what you're saying, and agree with the logic, but why risk something that could cost you MILLIONS of dollars when you don't have a contract with that organization?

It's a good point. I'd make a lousy agent, lol

They are $3M apart. Time for one of the sides to meet in the middle and do a short-term deal for $4.5M. Fair, right?

offer sheet ?

why hasn't anyone come with an offer sheet ?

I think because it would have to be substantial for it to have any real chance of succeeding and CBJ could match it anyhow. I can understand not reporting to training camp,however, if you are looking for the money he is then you had damn sure be in game shape regardless of who you will be signing with.

It's a good point. I'd make a lousy agent, lol

They are $3M apart. Time for one of the sides to meet in the middle and do a short-term deal for $4.5M. Fair, right?

This is the part i agree with, (not Pods being a lousy agent) but the bridge contract in the middle for short term. 

Not being a professional athlete, I don't know what I'd do but like to think that I have a chance to make the bucks when the time is right, I've proven myself, etc. 

It seems a lot of a certain generation has this entitled issue...or is it me???

I think because it would have to be substantial for it to have any real chance of succeeding and CBJ could match it anyhow

No doubt, but they won't give it right now. And everyone knows it. So how is this not collusion?

This is the part i agree with, (not Pods being a lousy agent) but the bridge contract in the middle for short term. 

Not being a professional athlete, I don't know what I'd do but like to think that I have a chance to make the bucks when the time is right, I've proven myself, etc. 

It seems a lot of a certain generation has this entitled issue...or is it me???

I blame the agents (and Lindros).

offer sheet ?

why hasn't anyone come with an offer sheet ?

Why hasn't the players association sued in court for collusion for nobody offering offer sheets? Absurd. Johanson would be a great fit with any club, at the least even if Columbus matches you are forcing a competitor to pay more than they might have wanted. Absolutely criminal the way that the owners do not offer contracts.

Absolutely criminal the way that the owners do not offer contracts.
Yeah ....there are no owners out there anywhere who make stupid offers to players.......... :huh:

Case and point on the offer sheet. Look at what the Flyers did to Nashville(Thank God they matched) with the last offer sheet they put out there but how crippling of a contract would you have to offer to keep them from matching? We are not talking about Jody Shelley here, we are talking about Ryan Johansen. If he is not the best player on the team, he is in the top 2. The biggest problem they will have with offering a bridge contract is what happens when he out performs the contract like Subban did? 6.5 mil might seem like a lot now but how much of a break is it if after the bridge contract if it costs north of 8.5 mil to sign him after that?

@yave1964

I think you and I are the only ones that give a crap about what seems like obvious collusion. I guess it's a question of proof. It's not like GMs/owners have an agreement they signed in blood.

I am in on the collusion aspect, but...

A team needs tomoffer and Johansen needs to sign. Could easily be no team is willing to meet him 6.5 number AND give up the firsts for it. Offer sheets have a price. Is Johansen a multiple first round pick player?

Anyone would take him for 4.5, but CLS would match and Johansen wouldn't sign.

Owners in general have an interest in keeping the status quo. That's why we've lost a season and a half of hockey already this century.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/blue-jackets-president-john-davidson-turns-both-barrels-on-johansens-agent/

Seems as if John Davidson has his GM's back on this one. I always liked him as a commentator and he always came across as a straight shooter. I think it won't be long before we hear Overhardt start yelling "Next Question!".

@flyerrod  Yes, I see this like the P.K situation all over again. They are trying to avoid the 6.5, when they should be interested in avoiding the 8.5 he will get when his pts explode again next year. This is gonna backfire.

Johansen has had exactly ONE strong NHL season. 

I wouldn't pay him either. A bridge contract lets the player get a hefty raise (over 400% in this case if the $4.5M value is accurate) while he proves that he's not just a flash in the pan. 

If his points climb up to PPG territory, then yes, maybe he's worth the $8.5M in a few years - and the team will have to pay more but with more certainty on what they're getting.

I wouldn't pay him either. A bridge contract lets the player get a hefty raise (over 400% in this case if the $4.5M value is accurate) while he proves that he's not just a flash in the pan. 

If his points climb up to PPG territory, then yes, maybe he's worth the $8.5M in a few years - and the team will have to pay more but with more certainty on what they're getting.

yeah, but didn't any of the GM's learn anything from the Subban holdouts?  Or Kyle Turris for that matter?  Teams need to pay their superstars.

yeah, but didn't any of the GM's learn anything from the Subban holdouts?  Or Kyle Turris for that matter?  Teams need to pay their superstars.

I agree - teams need to pay their superstars.

In my view, Johansen is not a superstar. I'm not sure where Turris comes in, but he's not a superstar in my view either.

They may become superstars.... but they are FAR from there right now.

Time for one of the sides to meet in the middle and do a short-term deal for $4.5M.

5m will get it done on a 2 year contract (i think). There is now way that he is going to make the same money as Hartnell (4.5m). I understand that Columbus is a bit tight on the pocket and that he only had one stellar season under his belt. But, he is a star in the making (better than Nash) and to give him 5m for 2 years and we will give you want after that (assuming he escalates) is a no brainer.

John Davidson is one of my favorite hockey people. He is extremely smart.

If I was Jarmo (the Jackets Euro GM) I would give Ryan a 7 year deal for 7 mill a year. This accomplishes a few things, first it makes your young star happy, secondly, it's a wise move cap wise, it will save you a LOT of money in the long term. If you give him a bridge deal, you have to account for the incredible inflation that can happen in just 2 years in the NHL....AND if he scores like I think he will....you will be forced to pay out the nose when the bridge deal ends. There is a real good chance he could be a 50 goal 50 assist guy by the end of a bridge contract, which means he will get the max contract allowed, so make a nice per-emptive strike and give him 7 mill long term right now.

This is exactly how I feel. Johanson has potential to be worth more than 6.5, but at this point he's had one good season. Take what you've earned and be happy, and prove you're worth a lot more. I don't have a problem paying players what they're worth...for every PK Subban who earned a bigger payday theres another who took the big contract and never earned it.

@flyercanuck  I think Ryan has top 10 skill level in this league. There is only one outcome from a bridge, the Jackets paying dearly for not locking him up long term. Regardless of how long he's done it, the points will come in buckets....if they want to avoid a max contract 2 years from now, the smart play is long term money. Just my 2 cents.

Archived