POLL: MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT IN ISLANDERS HISTORY

yave1964

ISLANDERS GREATEST MOMENT  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What is the greatest moment in Islanders history?

• 1980 defeating Flyers for first cup
    • 1983: DYNASTY! Team wins 4th straight cup
    • BOSSY: 50 in 50
    • The Butch Goring trade
    • 1975: Back from 3-0 defeat Pens and almost do same to Flyers
    • 1992-93 improbaable run to conference finals

For those of you who feel this is weighted to heavily to the Al Arbour ran team of the eighties, let me just say, it has been over a quarter of a century since the Isles last won a division title, and over twenty years since they last won a playoff series. I could have put the drafting of Tavares in here, but he hasnt really done much so far as getting the team over the top. Here is my list of greatest Isles moments in history:

BOSSY SCORES 50 IN 50 WITH 1:29 TO GO

Maurice the Rocket Richard had been the only player in history with 50 goals in 50 games until Mike Bossy burst onto the scene, and matched his total in 1981. Sitting on 48 thru 49 games and playing the Nordiques

Bossy scored his historic goal at home, at Nassau Coliseum in New York, during a game against the Quebec Nordiques. Heavily covered by the Nordiques, Bossy didn’t even get a shot on goal in the first two periods, and by the middle of the third the score was tied, 4-4. Finally, during a power play, Bossy got the puck on his backhand side and flipped it past Quebec’s Ron Grahame at 15:50 for his 49th goal of the season. At 18:31, Bossy shot a perfect pass from Bryan Trottier from the left face-off circle, beating Grahame again for goal number 50.

BACK FROM THE BRINK: ISLES COME BACK FROM 3-0 SERIES DEFICIT IN 1975, DEFEAT PENGUINS

After several years of growing pains and misery, the Isles served notice in 1975 that they were making strides, first defeating the hated Rangers in the first round, and then falling behind 3-0 against the Pens and storming back, becoming the second team ever to win a series after losing the first 3. Led by Billy Harris, Ed Westfall, Jude Drouin and JP Parise, all of whom would be gone by the time the club won their first cup, as well as Denis Potvin who was the teams leading scorer and the wonderful job in net of backup Glenn 'Chico' Resch who stepped in and was wonderful in the postseason, the Pens were shocked as the third year franchise stormed back. The next round, down 3-0 against the defending champs Flyers they almost repeated, down 3-0 they forced a game 7.

THE BUTCH GORING DEAL

The trade deadline deal that all others are based off. Sensing his team needed something for the postseason, Bill Torrey dealt fan favorites Billy Harris and Dave Lewis to the Kings at the deadline for Butch Goring. mX8pH4wnOwCKuxRsd2itUTg.jpg Ken Morrow, fresh off his Gold medal for team USA took over for Lewis on defense and Goring became the steady second line center the team needed, even winning a Conn Smythe and winning four straight cups, goofy helmet and all.

1980: ISLANDERS DEFEAT FLYERS IN 6 TO CAPTURE FIRST EVER CUP

The team came together after the Goring deal, and with Bossy (51 goals) Trottier (104 points) rugged Clark Gillies, Denis Potvin (sucks) and Battling Billy Smith, future Hall of Famers all, and spear carriers like Bob Bourne with 10 goals in the postseason and John Tonelli, https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Z9hqTQCfgE0

third liner Bobby Nystrom stuck a dagger in the hearts of the Flyers in overtime to wrap up the Isles first ever cup (and make Leon Stickle a permanent curse word in Philadelphia for his blown offside non-call earlier in the game that led to an Isles goal) and a dynasty was born.

1992-93: AN IMPROBABLE RUN TO THE CONFERENCE FINALS

The last of the Al Arbour clubs were winding down, all of the greats from a decade earlier had moved on, the team finished third in their division. Led by Pierre Turgeon (58-74-132) and 0 goal seasons from Dave King, Steve Thomas and Benoit Hogue and Glen Healy in net as well as Ray Ferraro who scored only 14 regular season goals and then 13 in the postseason.

The postseason started with a brilliantly played 6 game win against the Capitals that would be marred by a cheap shot from Dale Hunter on Pierre Turgeon after the winner in the final game mRm07ti9VYeGIj3UEB883Pg.jpg which knocked the star out for the series against defending champs Pittsburgh, giving the Isles no shot against Mario and Jagr and company. Only nobody told the Arbour led club, and they upset the champs in 7 without their star before bowing out in the conference finals against Montreal.

DYNASTY! 4 STRAIGHT CUPS FROM 1980-1983

God what a team. As mentioned earlier, Hall of Famers included mTkpRLxiuHfaPMQy4pUScfA.jpg Bossy, Trottier, Potvin, Gillies and Smith. Solid spear carriers included Anders Kallur, Stefan Persson, Morrow, Tonelli, Nystrom, Goring, Wayne Merrick and Duane Sutter. Lorimer, Langevin, Gord Lane. Chico. Just a stacked, well built team that knew what it took to win.

Oh boy the wild 70's and 80's when there were hockey dynasties.  I was glad when Edmonton usurped the Isles in the mid-80's...but for that stretch of years there was the Islanders and everyone else. they were dominant and very easy to hate, it is a shame they have been so incompetent since that time.

• 1 year later...

I was at the game when Ed Westfall scored from the top of the right face off circle!

Before he scored, I had to scream in the guy ear who was beside me just to have him hear me. When Westfall scored, you could hear a pin drop! Except for the 50 Islanders fans in in B29! Most Penguins fans went home crying literall!

Archived