Teemu blasts Bourdeau in his new book "Teemu"

hf101

"Teemu" was released in Finnish bookstores recently and well... is it  "Teemu" being "Teemu"?  OR is Teemu throwing stones at his disappointment for not playing another year in the NHL or that the Ducks didn't win the Cup last year?

But some statements may make for an interesting return to Anaheim when Selanne's number is retired in January.  But then who knows if Bourdeau will still be there??  

Here are some quotes at what Teemu had to say...

“If we had any other coach, I’d still be playing.”

“I yelled him right to his face what I was thinking,” Selanne wrote. “I ask what he has against me. I told him that since he became our coach, he has not respected me one bit. You never put me on ice when we play 5-on-3 or 4-on-4 or when we are one goal behind in the end of the game. … “He tried to skate away but I just yelled I wasn’t finish. I told Boudreau if you ever want to win something in a playoffs, you’re going to need me. Nobody else wants to win as much as me. It felt really good.”

http://nesn.com/2014/09/teemu-selanne-tears-into-ducks-coach-bruce-boudreau-in-new-book/

Sour grapes. I have a pretty good collection of Bio's and I can tell you countless players who feel that they have been screwed over at the end of their career and blame the coach for the final season or two where the erosion of skill is easier to blame on the coach than on themselves. Teemu isn't the first and wont be the last to not recognize the end of the line. It is easier to blame Boudreau than to see the writing on the wall. Quite frankly I think that Boudreau is one hell of a coach who wants to win as much as anyone.

It comes off as selfish and me-first.  But, Boudreau is a terrible coach, who keeps inheriting teams at the right time.  The Caps were coming of age, and the Ducks were already good.  Boudreau didn't really add anything positive to either.

Sour grapes. I have a pretty good collection of Bio's and I can tell you countless players who feel that they have been screwed over at the end of their career and blame the coach for the final season or two where the erosion of skill is easier to blame on the coach than on themselves.

I am on the fence regarding this. My initial inclination is "shut your effing yap", then my alter ego steps up and says "one of the greatest hockey players to ever lace them up". 

At the end of the day, I would just prefer maybe he shut his yap. Its tarnished my view of him a bit. Maybe if it was 10 years down the road and he wrote a book and did a "tell all", I would be ok with it. But what, 1 / 2 years removed from the league and he writes a book and blasting away at coaches?? 

You're joking, right?

No I am serious, Boudreau is a hell of a coach, he took over a stale Washington team from Glen Hanlon and turned them into a perennial power (albeit one who falls just short) and the minute he left, the slipped and slipped badly.

Anaheim was on their way to irrelevancy when he took over, after winning the cup in 2007. the team was fadig fast. Boudreau took over a team that was sliding, not one on the rise. He has done it twice and both times turned them into a power.

Now if you want to talk about postseasons, well, he hasn't done anything to speak of yet, but over a regular season, an 82 game season there are a handful of coaches tops who I would take over him.

The Capitals missed the playoffs three years in a row before he came aboard and were off to a wretched start (6-14-1 when Hanlon got fired, Boudreau won the Adams award after turning it around, going 37-17-7 and winning the division. All five years he was there they made the postseason, three times with over 100 points and once 121, winning the presidents trophy. Two years later under Adam Oates, they missed the playoffs with essentially the same roster.

The Ducks, in a similar situation were sitting at 7-13-4 and spinning their wheels when Carlyle was canned, Boudreau took ever, they went 27-23-8 the rest of the way. They have made the playoffs two years in a row including missing the Presidents trophy by one point last year, winning the rugged Western conference number one seed.

So no, I am absolutely not kidding. He has taken over two stale down teams, not ones 'on the rise' and he did not just get lucky and go along for the ride, he is one hell of a coach, and short of the fact that his clubs have not won a cup I cannot think of any argument that could be made that would say otherwise. Queneville, Babcock, Julien, Sutter and maybe Hitchcock would be about the only ones who I would chose over him. He may look like Alfred Hitchcock after a night of hitting the grape a bit too hard, but the man can flat out coach.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm....Teemu being Teemu?   :D   (A reference to the ol baseball 'Manny being Manny'...for those that know)

Seriously though...I must say I was a bit surprised by this sort of thing coming from a mostly classy guy like Teemu Selanne.

Not that I've followed this much, but I understand he did offer a public apology for the references?

I am a huge fan of Selanne, but he did practically nothing down the stretch & during the playoffs.

I thought they were going to win the Cup last season, and it would have been sweet to see #8 go out on top, but it was just not meant to be.

Whatever his issues with Boudreau were, it was disappointing to see this come out so quickly. Bad form to say the least.

No I am serious, Boudreau is a hell of a coach, he took over a stale Washington team from Glen Hanlon and turned them into a perennial power (albeit one who falls just short) and the minute he left, the slipped and slipped badly.

A perennial power? A coach has the ability to do that. I am halfway mocking you because of those specific words. A GM / President are the ones that turn a team into a "perennial power". The coach merely (not to make light of what they do), puts the square pegs in the sqaure holes etc. He also teaches them how to play.

I love Babcock, Hitchcock, etc. But they don't turn any team into a "perennial power" without the right personel. That accollade belongs to the GM / scouting staff. 

A perennial power? A coach has the ability to do that. I am halfway mocking you because of those specific words. A GM / President are the ones that turn a team into a "perennial power". The coach merely (not to make light of what they do), puts the square pegs in the sqaure holes etc. He also teaches them how to play.

I love Babcock, Hitchcock, etc. But they don't turn any team into a "perennial power" without the right personel. That accollade belongs to the GM / scouting staff.

Okay, the verbage was off, but the point is the Capitals had missed the most season 3 years running and were going nowhere when they fired Hanlon. Under Boudreau 100 point seasons became the norm. Same with the Ducks, they were slipping towards irrelevance under Carlyle. Boundreau has them on the short list of teams that are talked about as cup cotnenders.

Apparently Getzlaf isn't too happy with some of Selannes comments either. Something about questioning his captaincy? Which I find a joke. 

You wonder why such a class act for so long would write this?

Apparently Getzlaf isn't too happy with some of Selannes comments either. Something about questioning his captaincy? Which I find a joke. 

You wonder why such a class act for so long would write this?

I was thinking the exact same thing, how can a guy go from classy to loser in such a short timeframe?  Very odd. Did he take a few to many hits to the head or what?

Under Boudreau 100 point seasons became the norm. Same with the Ducks, they were slipping towards irrelevance under Carlyle. Boundreau has them on the short list of teams that are talked about as cup cotnenders.

Good points and accurate. I think its always a combo between the players and the coach. But to what you are saying, I will retract and say your point is valid and true.

Archived