Umberger

off_the_post

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For that matter, what prospect is he blocking? He doesn't play on the blue line and I can't think of anyone in tye system off the top of my head that he's "blocking."

There's the whole akeson/laughton thing. If neither Hartnell not umberger were on the roster, there'd be one prospect this board is excited about that would probably be on the opening night roster. But they'll get their chances.

There's the whole akeson/laughton thing. If neither Hartnell not umberger were on the roster, there'd be one prospect this board is excited about that would probably be on the opening night roster. But they'll get their chances.

Akeson is already slated for the team, yes?

And Laughton, as a center, isn't "blocked" by Umburglar.

Umberger is what he is..nothing flashy, can play some D..score the occasional goal..not take stupid penalties and can actually stay up right and not fall down every 3rd stride..he's future cap relief (Thanks Homer)..don't be hating on the dude cause he can't score 35+ goals

Akeson is already slated for the team, yes?

And Laughton, as a center, isn't "blocked" by Umburglar.

right, akeson forced to the 4th line and if umberger get hurt, i wouldn't be surprised to see laughton called up to play on the wing.

40 points and defensively safe shifts from the third line? It's meh, but could do a lot worse.

Only if VLC decides to skate and play defense. Just saying. I think shortly we will see VLC become obsolete (again) with the emergence of belly-frenchy. VLC is going to be trade-deadline material (again) if frenchy does what I think he can do.

Yeah, because on the Flyers, centers only play, you know, center.

Sure, it's well known that any forward is perfectly suited to play any forward position.

The point was that Umburglar wasn't blocking Laughton. Giroux, BSchenn, VLC, Couturier and Bellemare were.

But you knew that :)

Sure, it's well known that any forward is perfectly suited to play any forward position.

The point was that Umburglar wasn't blocking Laughton. Giroux, BSchenn, VLC, Couturier and Bellemare were.

But you knew that :)

LOL yep

He IS taking up cap space and a tissue spot and contact that a kid could take. But as said before, if it wasn't Umberger it would be Hartnell and if not him it would be someone else

He IS taking up cap space and a tissue spot and contact that a kid could take. But as said before, if it wasn't Umberger it would be Hartnell and if not him it would be someone else

I don't mind him. I just mind his center (VLC). While completely unproven at the NHL level, what I have seen of Frenchy in preseason and euro league smokes VLC. Move that player and contract and there are a few problems solved. If Umberger can play with a speedy two-way centerman that has creativity, he can be effective. If he plays with a tortouise of a center than its a effing nightmare.

I don't mind him. I just mind his center (VLC). While completely unproven at the NHL level, what I have seen of Frenchy in preseason and euro league smokes VLC. Move that player and contract and there are a few problems solved. If Umberger can play with a speedy two-way centerman that has creativity, he can be effective. If he plays with a tortouise of a center than its a effing nightmare.

Agreed

I think the deal was done for the reason mentioned, just a few years hacked off Hart's bad deal. I don't think Ummby is fodder, he's a vet capable of contributing. In the end, it will come down to his willingness to hustle and go above and beyond work ethic wise. He has to do this kinda thing to have the fans and management embrace him. If he does, he will be accepted, if not, he will have a bullseye on his back from day #1.

The one thing nobody mentioned in this thread is Ummby shows up for the playoff games. He's stats go up dramatically when it's all on the line. He brings veteran savvy to the roster in playoff situations....and his goals go WAY up in the post season. There are enough positives going forward, but the ball is in his court effort wise, that will determine everything.

The one thing nobody mentioned in this thread is Ummby shows up for the playoff games. He's stats go up dramatically when it's all on the line. He brings veteran savvy to the roster in playoff situations....and his goals go WAY up in the post season. There are enough positives going forward, but the ball is in his court effort wise, that will determine everything.

Well sure...when he's not benched.

Yes....but he adds a lot more physicality than Danny boy ever did, and is more involved, usually. Plus, he cares about backchecking, something Danny boy never did, as the Lanche are about to find out the hard way.

I agree, I was being a bit tongue in cheek there. Also, Danny's contract is much more. I don't mind Umberger. For me he is a 3rd line utility guy. What rubs me a bit is the salary. I like his versatility, but, like I said, he needs a good centerman to be effective. VLC is not it and that is going to be a cluster eff. If Frenchy (my apologies to French Canadiens- just my nick name for him) can get off the 4th line and move to the 3rd, than I am fine with umberger. That just poses the circle jerk question of wtf to do with VLC?

Sorry for my vulgar. Just tired of VLC AND his contract. 

You and me both buddy!

I know I am being a bit harsh. But I don't mince words (well sometimes I do). If I was a fly on a wall, I imagine that Hextall is going "WTF were you thinking Homer?" in re: to VLC contract. At the end of the day, VLC is neither the deriment or savior of the team. Its just the 4.5M for a 3rd line center that rubs me wrong. The same way 4.5M for a winger (Umberger) rubs me wrong. But eff, this team is not going to do anything this year other than scratch their balls a bit in regards to the playoffs.

Let the kids in both CHL and AHL do their thing and next year we might have something to talk about.

My hopes for the season are only this:

1) Mason is the real deal.

2) Nobody of signifigance gets hurt bad.

3) I would like Belle (Frenchy) to emerge and supplant VLC and VLC get traded for nothing other than a bag of used practice pucks.

4) We pick fairly high in a deep draft and somehow get back a 2nd round pick that we threw away on MacDud.

Well with Homerless not driving the bus anymore, that is a good likelyhood.

Aside: I really liked MacDud in his first few games with the Flyers. I guess that just is a state of the union re: the flyers defense.

He had nice crisp breakout passes and blocked a ton of shots. Now, I don't know what he does.

@Vanflyer   I've never understood the negative comments about Mac on here. Yep, they *might* have overpaid a tad on the new deal, but really, nothing he would not have gotten if he had gone UFA or anything. He blocks shots, he makes nice quick break out passes, he skates well....not much to not like. He reminds me a lot of Carle, minus the game changing brain farts Matt used to grace us with.

Bottom line, when he is on the ice, I feel confident nothing bad will happen, and that's good enough for me. An added bonus, most games, you don't notice him unless you're really looking for him, which is exactly the type of game you want from a guy like him. If he's noticed, it's usually a calling card for a major flub-up, so good to go unnoticed in this instance. I suspect he will start the year solid and all those yearning for the next whipping boy will have to move on.

Well with Homerless not driving the bus anymore, that is a good likelyhood.

Aside: I really liked MacDud in his first few games with the Flyers. I guess that just is a state of the union re: the flyers defense.

He had nice crisp breakout passes and blocked a ton of shots. Now, I don't know what he does.

They are doing the same dumb thing the Islanders did. He's a second pairing dman so should get second pair minutes plus power play time.

You get above 22 minutes a game and stick him on the penalty kill all the time and make him responsible for constantly playing against the best it reduces his strengths and exposes his weaknesses and exacerbates them.

Really, similar is true with Coburn. Both are victim of a lack of first pairing defenders on the Flyers and a Flyer inability to both assess and utilize defensemen.

He blocks shots, he makes nice quick break out passes, he skates well...

I agree- and truthfully, I think mostly he does not have the proper partner. He would bode well with a "Carle" type of partner.

I don't diss on him as much as others, but without a good partner to compliment him, he is not worth the contract / money.

I could mention those two players (one in the AHL and one back in Juniors) that I think would augment him well, but that won't happen. At least not today.

Macdaddy is a 3-4 guy. Same as Coburn. They both burn minutes. The reality is that we do not have a 1-2. Thats all.

Archived