You know what this team needs?

fanaticV3.0

The A is really stretching the numbers with some of those guys, but it's a good start.

Not sure how you can have 637 on opening day. There are only 690 NHL roster spots. I'd have to think the KHL / SEL is feeding more than 53 roster spots, but I guess I could be wrong.

Not sure how you can have 637 on opening day. There are only 690 NHL roster spots. I'd have to think the KHL / SEL is feeding more than 53 roster spots, but I guess I could be wrong.

Many guys get a cup of coffee in the A or have played there on conditioning assignments, etc.

The venn diagram of A players likely includes KHL/SEL/etc. Players.

E.g. Hagg comes to mind

i mean look at the colarado avs, their team is young but they were a good team last year, it doesnt matter what age they are as long as they have the speed to skate in the nhl and having the right players/chemistry, the oilers dont have the right players offense or defense, that's why there always bad because it's a chemistry issue. you can have all old players and still lose if you dont have the right chemistry.

Well, interestingly enough, Colorado's average age last year was 27.  But their core players are very young, yes. 

But more to the point, as young as the Avs were last year, all of their players have experience.  For Duschesne, the last year was his 5th full year in the NHL. 

For Langeskog - the 3rd. 

O'Reilly is only 23, but he's no rookie.

Let's look at their probably the most important d-man - Tyson Barrie.  He spent two years in the A.  They were smart enough not to rush him into the NHL.

Who else?  McKinnon?  Sure, but the rules don't apply as he was the first overall pick, who was more than ready for NHL.

Teams need to do this smartly.  Rushing a child into the league who is not ready to play in the NHL will effectively ruin his career.

Well, interestingly enough, Colorado's average age last year was 27.  But their core players are very young, yes. 

But more to the point, as young as the Avs were last year, all of their players have experience.  For Duschesne, the last year was his 5th full year in the NHL. 

For Langeskog - the 3rd. 

O'Reilly is only 23, but he's no rookie.

Let's look at their probably the most important d-man - Tyson Barrie.  He spent two years in the A.  They were smart enough not to rush him into the NHL.

Who else?  McKinnon?  Sure, but the rules don't apply as he was the first overall pick, who was more than ready for NHL.

Teams need to do this smartly.  Rushing a child into the league who is not ready to play in the NHL will effectively ruin his career.

that's true, if the flyers want to be contenders again they have to rebuild the d, not with prospects but with nhl ready mobile players that can step in.

http://theahl.com/637-ahl-alumni-on-nhl-opening-rosters-p194024

Keith spent two seasons in the A. Spezza a season and a half.  Parise and Subban a full season.

The A is really stretching the numbers with some of those guys, but it's a good start.

Rask had basically two seasons in Providence (largely because Thomas was around).

Ryan played 70 games in Portland and Iowa. Chara 71. Benn basically played one playoff in the A. Perry 22 games. Quick had 33 for the Manchester Monarchs over two seasons.

Best quick and dirty response I can get at the moment.

Big time.

There's definitely some big names on that list though. Not a lot, and some did not spend a very long time there, but there's some there. Anything less than a half a season, I wouldn't call "gaining experience" though.

i mean look at the colarado avs, their team is young but they were a good team last year, it doesnt matter what age they are as long as they have the speed to skate in the nhl and having the right players/chemistry, the oilers dont have the right players offense or defense, that's why there always bad because it's a chemistry issue. you can have all old players and still lose if you dont have the right chemistry.

The Avs young players are also better than ours. There's a reason their guys made the team and Laughton, Morin, and Ghost did not. They aren't ready.

Your arguments logic is flawed.

This season is apparently a wash.

They're not going to be worse if they play Ghost for a few games here and there. They're already god awful.

How could the defense be any worse?

Morin is done for a while thanks to a broken jaw -so much for him being "safer" in juniors.

Just don't see what a few games of experiencing building could possibly do to make this team worse.

What on earth outside of more injuries could make this team worse?

[lquote name=fanaticV3.0" post="200836" timestamp="1412945911]

Unproven youth and lots of it!

Are you people (pushing those particular roster moves) high? Do you think this team would get anything other than completely outclassed if they had players that young and untested in key roles (particularly in the first two players' cases)? Do you want to ruin these kids? With G, Voracek, Simmonds, and maybe Couturier and Schenn (no, not that one), this team could have something in a few years. These guys could be the vets this team needs and then we get a whole new crop of youngsters in Ghost, Morin, and Laughton. It's about balance. You need both. Throwing a bunch of kids out there helps no one, least of all them. Especially when you talk about the defensemen. Look at Joni Pitkanen and Luca Sbisa, both of whom the Flyers rushed if you need some examples.

Not ready?

Less ready than Either Schenn? You know who looks worse than the Schenn's? NO ONE.

At this point, with injuries, etc there is NO reason not to play Ghost. None.

The Avs young players are also better than ours. There's a reason their guys made the team and Laughton, Morin, and Ghost did not. They aren't ready.

This team needs Gagne...it's as simple as that.  

Great point DGG.  He'd fix all the problems. :thumbsu:

-----------------------

If the goal is to win the cup, it's safe to say there are no players in the organization that will help the Flyers do that this year.   Let the kids play on what could be a good Phantoms team and have some success together.  (ala 2004/5 with Carter, Richards, JON SIM!, Umbergler, Sharp, Behold Randy Jones, Nitty, Fridge, Eager...).  After this year, Hexy will have his work cut out for him but at least he'll develop a direction that the team needs to go.

There's no sense in pushing players onto a losing team where their minutes will be reduced. 

(Plus I get to see them play when they come to Portland in November....)

Archived