Prospect update 2014-2015

brelic

Hmmm, didn't know that. Did he sign his ELC, if not....he is taking quite the risk. Personally, I'd get my feet in the door and do whatever they asked.

They didn't offer him an ELC they only offered an AHL contract....like they did to Vandevelde and he played that into a legit NHL contract. Goulbourne wanted to take his chances with an overage season instead of signing that AHL deal so Flyers have until June to sign him.

Edit: That is why i was so pissed when the Flyers passed over Oliver Bjorkstrand (now a Blue Jacket) and Anthony Duclair (now a Ranger) to draft a guy they wouldn't even offer an ELC too....just rubbing salt into the wounds there.

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@OccamsRazor  I understand having to dress 3 goons....the team sucks and this *is* Philly. Gotta give the fans something for their AHL buck!!  Totally agree, Alderson at least has upside and it would be very nice to see what he can do on the top pp. At least he could potentially turn into something....unlike Sortini who is never playing any meaningful time in the NHL...what a waste. Newsflash Phantoms....your job is to *develop* Flyer prospects, not rewarding goons for hustle....geez.

Hmmm, didn't know that. Did he sign his ELC, if not....he is taking quite the risk. Personally, I'd get my feet in the door and do whatever they asked.

He basically held out because he wanted a two-way deal, not an AHL-deal only. Beggars can't be choosers, eh?

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/2014/05/flyers_prospects_tyrell_goulbourne_wants_to_turn_pro_but_hasnt_accepted_ahl_contract.html

The Flyers generally sign their top draft picks to two-way contracts that include salaries for time spent in the NHL and minors, but thus far they've only offered a less-lucrative American Hockey League contract.

Disappointed, Goulbourne hasn't accepted.

"I don't know exactly what's going on with that,” Goulbourne told the NJ.com. "My agents handle that. They weren't really interested in me taking an AHL deal."

Goulbourne says he's ready to turn pro, but he wants a two-way deal. Through his representation, he's threatening to play another season of junior hockey as an overage player.

“If I have to go to Kelowna for another year, it wouldn't be the worst thing,” Goulbourne said. “I could develop my skills a lot more there, too, and come out strong the next year. I don’t know what’s going to happen, but I’m hoping.”

@brelic  I don't see where he has the leverage to pull this kinda stunt. As it turns out, he has semi-respectable stats in the WHL this year (not really when factoring in he's older than everyone else)....but he will still score 20 with the ability to fight....that tells me somebody will give him the 2 way deal he wants. Could have backfired on him, but it looks like he stuck to his guns and now has the upper hand....the odds are slim he turns into anything with his lack of skating ability, but I would most certainly give him one of the 50 contracts to see what we really have. Would be ultra stupid to draft a guy that high and just let him walk....especially over something dumb like a 2 way deal...it's not like the Flyers would be forced to call him up or anything, it just counts against the 50 pro contracts thingy....where a strictly AHL deal would not count against the 50....just sign him already. We have far worse players in our top 50.

@flyercanuck  I agree, I think the kids agent was giving him some bad advice. It may work out in the end, his decent scoring has put him on the radar, but could have easily have backfired. This is the NHL, you get in any way you can. If your team wants to save on their 50 contracts suck it up and chances are if you work hard, good things will happen. The Flyers are the type of team that rewards loyalty, so he rubs their back, chances are it's reciprocated.

@jammer2

I don't get why he wouldn't sign it and prove he deserves a 2 way IN THE AHL.

It's that damn entitlement attitude. Dude has earned exactly zero. Yet he demands more.

See ya Tyrell... we hardly knew ya. Enjoy beating up on 15 year olds.

A good read enjoy all......

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/2015/02/flyers_prospect_shayne_gostisbehere_cant_wait_to_t.html

It's interesting how one big-time Flyers prospect describes another.

Talking about training-camp defense partner Sam Morin, rehabbing Lehigh Valley Phantoms blueliner Shayne Gostisbehere said on Friday, "He's a good kid."

Kid?

Gostisbehere is 21, Morin is 19.

Oh, and Gostisbehere, a 5-foot-11, 170-pounder, looks up at Morin, who checks in at 6-7, 225.

By hockey standards, they're both kids ... kids that are the foundation of Flyers GM Ron Hextall's vision for building a perennial Stanley Cup contender by relying on a lot of homegrown talent.

Their possible time together as Flyers could begin as early as next season.

Gostisbehere, who is in the final stages of recovering from November ACL surgery, is determined to win an NHL job next season.

The same goes for Morin, a 6-foot-7 human wrecking ball will turn pro after finishing his final season of junior playing for the Rimonski Oceanic in the QMJHL.

"Sammy's a great player," Gostisbehere said. "He's a heck of a physical specimen, as everyone can see. He's definitely going to be a great NHLer someday. I can't wait until he's up here with us."

Gostisbehere, a puck-moving blueliner from South Florida, and Morin, a French Canadian who is physical and less offensive minded, have become good buddies.

They worked out for parts of the last two summers at the Flyers' practice rink in Voorhees and keep in touch during the season when apart.

"He's a good friend," Gostisbehere said. "Every couple of weeks or so I'll send a text."

Both have had a 2014-15 season full of highs and lows.

Gostisbhere, who was a third-round draft pick in 2012, played his first two NHL games for the Flyers in October before blowing out his left knee two games into his return to the AHL.

Morin, the 11th overall pick of the 2013 draft, won a gold medal playing for Team Canada in the 2015 World Juniors and is a plus-13 with 22 points in 23 QMJHL games this season, but he missed 13 games after suffering a broken jaw when taking a one-timer off the face during an Oct. 12 game.

Both players know fans have very high expectations for them, and they do for themselves, as well.

"Yeah ... but I think if you ask Sammy, too, I don't think we're thinking about that too much right now," Gostisbehere said. "Mostly I'm thinking about just getting my knee healthy and coming back strong, doing what I gotta do here first.

"You put the NHL and everything in the back seat right now and just focus on what you gotta do here to improve your game so the next time you get called up, you stay up."

Good read on Murray's thoughts on some of the prospects:

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/2015/02/phantoms_coach_terry_murray_gives_scouting_reports.html

Some tidbits:

On if Gostisbehere's defensive game is good enough for the NHL:

"No, it's not good enough, and that's the part we've got to work on. That's the part where it's unfortunate that he's injured right now and he's missing this kind of learning year for him. He's gonna get better at that. Every one of these kids you're talking about, (Sam) Morin or (Mark) Alt ... all these kids have to get better in the checking part of the game. You gotta be able to be a reliable player at critical times of the game, and that's a process."

On Hagg having a lot of natural talent, but whether he knows how to get the most out of it:

"You can learn how to work harder. That's one thing you can do as a player. And that's up to us as coaches to get them to play faster, quicker, harder. Do more competitive drills in the practices. Demand all the time that he work hard on the off-ice to get stronger. He has a tendency to be a little casual, and it shows. .... This is a big year. Next year is a big year. We'll see where it all goes.

LEFT WING TAYLOR LEIER

On the first-year pro's progress this season:
"Real good person. Really cares. Very disciplined in his attitude to being a pro player. You can see that in his personality. He does all the work. He does a tremendous job on the ice recovering pucks. He's got speed. He's got quickness. He's very strong on the stick. He comes out with pucks in areas along the boards where you're not supposed to as a young kid. ... But he has a nice upside to his game because he has skill and he's got a good attitude. He brings the work ethic all the time. Very intense. He'll play in the NHL.

CENTER NICK COUSINS

On whether he's becoming a complete player:
"He's getting there. He's starting to move his feet all the time now. I go back to the first year that he came (to the AHL) when I was in Glens Falls. He played about 10 games at the end of the junior season and that was the one thing that was very noticeable ... He wasn't moving his feet all the time. He was gliding. ... I think he's going to be an NHL player. The growth spurt that we've seen this year has been very big and I think that there's still some area to grow.

DEFENSEMAN MARK ALT

On Alt being an NHL prospect in an organization that has four younger defensemen prospects who get most of the media attention (Sam Morin, Travis Sanheim, Hagg and Gostisbehere).
"Yeah, (Alt) deserves to be in the conversation. At the start of the year I was asked that question and I said he's on track (to be an NHL player). Everything's going fine, (then) he's had a big setback here a couple of times this year (with injuries). He's an interesting player. He's big and he can really skate. He's got very nice speed. I like Mark Alt. He's a very intense, hard-working guy. He really cares. He's very passionate about playing the game the right way. I think he has to be put into that conversation because he's a high-character guy.

LEFT WING PETR STRAKA

On Straka's progress this season:
"Like we talked about with Robert Hagg, there's a little bit of that casual play there. It's a personality. He's got to be a little more competitive, a little more digging in the right places at the right time. He has speed. He has skill. He can pass the puck. He sees the ice. He can transport the puck. He's pretty good at that. But it's just a process that you've got to work through.

@JackStraw  Gotta like the assessment of Leier. He seems like a virtual lock to play in the NHL, really nice to hear. I'm glad somebody is talking about Alt's speed, I was super impressed with his skating when I watched a few Phantoms games this season. I kinda figured that Cousins was doing the gliding thing....did it all the time in the Sault...as he is finding out, this is not the Sault....lol.

Glad to hear Morin and Ghost are becoming friends...hopefully they'll make a great pairing one day. They're almost the perfect match.

It's hard to believe any of these guys make it this far without having Leiers worth ethic. I mean you're so close you can taste it, but you just don't feel like giving 100% right now? seriously?

I mean you're so close you can taste it, but you just don't feel like giving 100% right now? seriously?

Give them a taste of a real job like getting up a t 5:30 every morning and fighting traffic to go to work to doing it again on the way home after 12 long hours...and it might change their minds....

I've read numerous publications that think Leier might not be anything more than a bottom six forward. I beg to differ. I think with his work ethic and the fact he's got a good set of hands, he could easily be a top six forward and could score 30 to 35 some day. The fact he's so versatile and he's very much a defensive conscience is icing on the cake. Here's a Jere Lehtinen clone and there's nothing wrong with having a guy like that in the top six.

Feeling lazy this morning borrowed this from hockeysfuture about Flyers prospects.....

AHL
Nick Cousins - 53GP 17G 31A 48PTS +1
Taylor Leier - 50GP 13G 13A 26PTS -5
Petr Straka - 48GP 13G 7A 20PTS -12
Robert Hagg - 47GP 3G 15A 18PTS -9
Scott Laughton - 17GP 6G 7A 13PTS -5
Mark Alt - 24GP 1G 5A 6PTS -5
Shayne Gostisbehere - 5GP 0G 5A 5PTS -1
Jesper Pettersson - 32GP 1G 3A 4PTS -4
Anthony Stolarz - 25GP 7-11-3 3.17GAA .908SV% 2SO

CHL (OHL, QMJHL, & WHL)
Nicolas Aube-Kubel - 50GP 30G 36A 66PTS +13
Travis Sanheim - 54GP 11G 44A 55PTS +24
Radel Fazleev - 58GP 17G 25A 42PTS +16
Tyrell Goulbourne - 52GP 17G 20A 37PTS +15----will be a Phantom next year, could of had Bjorkstrand (43 goals in 46 games this year)
Samuel Morin - 26GP 4G 19A 23PTS +11

KHL
Valeri Vasiliev - 35GP 2G 3A 5PTS +9-------------i think he comes over and joins the Phantoms next year.

NCAA
Michael Parks - 31GP 12G 19A 31PTS-----will be a Phantoms next year.
Mark Friedman - 32GP 2G 15A 17PTS
Nick Luukko - 32GP 2G 10A 12PTS
David Drake - 29GP 1G 4A 5PTS
Reece Willcox - 21GP 1G 3A 4PTS
Terrance Amorosa - 13GP 1G 2A 3PTS
Merrick Madsen - 1GP 0-0-0 2.77GAA .846SV% 0SO

SHL
Oskar Lindblom - 32GP 6G 5A 11PTS ------------i think he comes over next year like Hagg and Petterson

So nice progress i'll say.

Travis Sanheim - 54GP 11G 44A 55PTS +24

The Hitmen have only been a team for the past 20 years....but even with that short amount of time, they really have not brought many stars into the NHL. Only one true superstar....

My all time top 10 Hitmen...

1)Ryan Getzlaf

2)Johnny Boychuck

3)Brad Stuart

4)Karl Alzner

5)Darcy Hordichuk

6)T.J Gillardi

7)Paul Postma

8)Michael Stone

9)Pavel Brendl

10)Justin Pogge

As you can see, that is a pretty sad sack top 10....not a big stretch to think Travis Sanheim will move into the top 3 when it's all said and done.

In 3 or 4 years, the top 5 will look like this...

1)Ryan Getzlaf

2)Travais Sanheim

3)Jake Virtanen

4)Johnny Boychuck

5)Karl Alzner

Jake was selected #6 overall by the Canucks....I do think he is a can't miss prospect, excellent wheels and great hands...he will eventually play on a line with Bo Horvat and signal the start of a new era in Canucks hockey.

The best part about Jake and Travis making it is it forces out Brendl and Pogge....and deservedly so....they stink.

If you look at the Hitmen's roster.....they are pretty thin up front.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0009942015.html

Leading scorer Tambellini is a 3rd round pick of the Rangers.

2nd leading scorer is a non drafted overager

3rd place is Travis and

4th place is Lang, who was non drafted invitee of the Minnesota Wild last Sept...

5th is Flyer pick Fasleev

Since the team is 2nd in their conference, I can only assume they have a good solid core of undrafted youngsters and a good goalie.

I puked at #9 on the list

HA!!  Any Flyer fan that was old enough to watch him disgrace our colours would get queasy. Just for the hell of it, I checked out his career stats...turns out he is *still* playing, stinking up some Slovak league....LOL!

Wow, his first year of WHL hockey....79 goals....134 pts.....that is a lotta pts for a first year on a CHL team.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=40740

Wow, his first year of WHL hockey....79 goals....134 pts.....that is a lotta pts for a first year on a CHL team

I just looked him up myself. I guess I should be somewhat ashamed to admit that I never knew where was something called the "Bob Clarke Trophy" (for the leading scorer in the WHL) let alone that Brendl had won it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavel_Brendl#Awards

Archived