We lost a *great* one...Jean Beliveau passes on at 83....

jammer2

This news trickling in late Tuesday, the great Jean Beliveau has passed at the age of 83. Considered one the greatest players of all time, his passing is a blow to fans everywhere. The first word you heard when Jean was mentioned was class.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/sports/habs-legend-beliveau-dead-at-age-83

What a clutch performer he was. He sits a solid 14th all time for playoff points. Pretty amazing when you consider most of his career was in the original six.......and it only took 2 series to win the cup, a max of 14 games. Jean was part of the Habs dynasty to produced 5 consecutive Cups...along with Boom Gefferion, Rocket Richard, Bert Holmstead, Doug Harvey and Jacques Plante among many others.

His greatest accomplishment was winning the Stanley Cup 10 times a player and 7 times an executive.....the most by one individual. He sits 39th on the all time scoring list, averaging over a point per game through is career. He's 4 slots ahead of Bobby Clarke. He did it when the goalies were all great and almost every team had a powerhouse defense.

Jean_Beliveau_2.jpg

Class. Just a wonderful gentleman and a ambassador for the game has left us. RIP Mr. Beliveau, I never saw you play but everything I have ever read calls you one of the greats and most beloved players of all time.

Needless to say, there will never be another Jean Beliveau. I always used to love seeing him sitting in the stands at all the Habs games, our ambassador of the game. He was such a treat to watch, or at least his replays were. Seemed to have the highest hockey IQ imaginable with a level head to counter Richard's fury. Hockey aside, Beliveau was phenomenal person. Was offered government positions twice but turned them down to be with his family. I really hope the Habs leave his seat empty for the rest of time. No one can fill that seat. Such a painful loss.

I'm lucky enough to have watched him perform.  Difficult to describe him.

Imagine someone as tough as Gordie Howe, as graceful  as Joe DiMaggio,  as skilled as Sidney Crosby, as smooth as Cary Grant. 

Beliveau was that person and more.

Now that all the dust has settled, I think it's fair to say that the entire league handled this with incredible class. It's funny, Jean's wife, Elise, said during the wake at the Bell Centre that Jean would be embarrassed by all this attention. Every team Montreal played after the news of Beliveau's death broke handled it with incredible class. Just goes to show how well respected true NHL legends are and how respectful true hockey fans are. The NHL and hockey fans continue to show incredible class in times of hardship to make the loss easier.

Merci a tous

• 3 months later...

@jammer2: No lie. That Toronto Sun article was a great read. Cool too

that such quality appeared in Montreal's rival hockey city. Man I wish the

Leafs and the Habs could have squared off in the 1993 Stanley Cup Finals--

Kings fan conscience kicking in : ) . . . Edit: Man I sort of wish that

the Leafs and the Habs had battled each other in the '93 Finals.

Maybe one day they will rumble for the Cup again. I'd love to see that. Especially

in person.  

@jammer2: No lie. That Toronto Sun article was a great read. Cool too

that such quality appeared in Montreal's rival hockey city. Man I wish the

Leafs and the Habs could have squared off in the 1993 Stanley Cup Finals--

Kings fan conscience kicking in : ) . . . Edit: Man I sort of wish that

the Leafs and the Habs had battled each other in the '93 Finals.

Maybe one day they will rumble for the Cup again. I'd love to see that. Especially

in person.  

Greetings! *gloves dropped*

DIE.

Just kidding. Welcome aboard

Archived