Report: 2016 Winter Classic in....

ihabs1993

Boston. Bruins have been reported as being the host of the 2016 outdoor game on New Years Day.

Puck Daddy on Yahoo had the report first from Bob McKenzie:

http://t.co/sz0KiQnWBr

Some of the topics in the Puck Daddy article are worth talking about... Who would the Bruins play? Where would the Bruins play? Why is the Western Conference not getting any of these games with the exclusion of Chicago?

Personally, I think it's going to be the Habs taking on the Bruins at Foxboro Stadium, home of the NFL's New England Patriots. Can't think the NHL gives the Flyers another crack at an outdoor game, nor will it be the Penguins, Capitals, or Blackhawks. Maybe Buffalo, but I wouldn't doubt for a second that the NHL would want the Habs-B's rivalry on center stage.

What do you guys think?

Ian

ihabs1993

Boston. Bruins have been reported as being the host of the 2016 outdoor game on New Years Day

Personally, I think it's going to be the Habs taking on the Bruins at Foxboro Stadium, home of the NFL's New England Patriots.

And where will the Patriots play if they make the NFL Playoffs?

I can agree with that.  

Apparently there could be up to 6 outdoor games next season as the Wild and Avalanche are expected to host outdoor games also.  

I expect the MN one to be versus Dallas, but I could be wrong also.

And where will the Patriots play if they make the NFL Playoffs?

The NHL ice crew has gotten very good at mobilizing their construction to get on and off fields very quickly. Also, the Winter Classic, if played on January first as they usually do, would be on a Friday. The ice crew could probably get the rink off the ice quick enough for the Patriots to play that Sunday night, however I'm sure there would be planning done to ensure this problem wouldn't happen.

The other option, in case Foxboro is unavailable, Harvard Stadium has a maximum capacity of about 50,000 in a football setup according to Wikipedia.

I can agree with that.  

Apparently there could be up to 6 outdoor games next season as the Wild and Avalanche are expected to host outdoor games also.  

I expect the MN one to be versus Dallas, but I could be wrong also.

The one in Denver would be very difficult due to the thin air being an issue for the road team. I would expect that if this game were to happen that the visiting team would be given a few days to wait in Denver to adjust to the air. I know it sounds silly, but that's a dangerous aspect of this game.

I am dead set against a repeat game at this point. Why play the same team at the same venue? It's stale, in my opinion.

That's very true. But then don't do Boston at all. Boston /Montreal would be fine, but have it in Montreal.

@ruxpin

I would actually be cool with Boston again at Fenway....but yea, it's gotta be the Habs if they do a repeat venue.

Long standing rivalry and both teams this year are looking to make the playoffs, so there is an added incentive there.....and on top of all that, this year, it seems its the Habs, not the Bruins who may actually finish as division leader or close to it and that's gotta burn New England fans pretty badly to know that....would make for a very good game at an iconic venue like Fenway.

@hf101

If the Wild host an outdoor game, I agree could be Dallas....but could also be Winnipeg (do you realize the amount of Jets fans that get into the Excel Energy Center when the team comes to town...unreal!), but from a pure Stanley Cup playoffs standpoint, the better opponents could be either Chicago or St. Louis.

The only question to all that in Minnesota would be: Would I dare grab tickets and brave the cold to sit for a hockey game?? lol..

That's very true. But then don't do Boston at all. Boston /Montreal would be fine, but have it in Montreal.

Agree entirely. Why do they get a second one? There are so many markets that have not been used yet. New Jersey could play at Met Life. As far as I'm concerned, Montreal doesn't have the facility to pull off an event like this.

If the Wild host an outdoor game, I agree could be Dallas....but could also be Winnipeg (do you realize the amount of Jets fans that get into the Excel Energy Center when the team comes to town...unreal!), but from a pure Stanley Cup playoffs standpoint, the better opponents could be either Chicago or St. Louis.

The only question to all that in Minnesota would be: Would I dare grab tickets and brave the cold to sit for a hockey game?? lol..

I would agree with the Jets coming in to Minnesota, but there are reports that Winnipeg will get the 2016 Heritage Classic. Plus there's the added intrigue of the old Minnesota club going back to Minnesota to play the new club. You brought up St. Louis and I was thinking about how incredible a game at Busch Stadium would be. Would like a different opponent, but the Hawks would appear to be the only rational option in that hypothetical game.

The NHL ice crew has gotten very good at mobilizing their construction to get on and off fields very quickly. Also, the Winter Classic, if played on January first as they usually do, would be on a Friday. The ice crew could probably get the rink off the ice quick enough for the Patriots to play that Sunday night, however I'm sure there would be planning done to ensure this problem wouldn't happen.

The other option, in case Foxboro is unavailable, Harvard Stadium has a maximum capacity of about 50,000 in a football setup according to Wikipedia.

Good, yes. But not that good. Jan 1, 2016 is a Friday. If week 17 of the NFL schedule falls on the 27th of December there will only be 4 days available to set up the rink. That isn't enough time. then, if the Patriots play in the first weekend of the playoffs there is no way they can take the rink down and repair any damage to the field in one day. They won't be playing the Winter Classic in Foxboro.

If they wanted to schedule an outdoor game in Foxboro they would need to play in February.

The one in Denver would be very difficult due to the thin air being an issue for the road team. I would expect that if this game were to happen that the visiting team would be given a few days to wait in Denver to adjust to the air. I know it sounds silly, but that's a dangerous aspect of this game.

Ummm...What?!? This makes no sense. The air inside the Pepsi Center is the same as the air outside. They don't pump lower altitude air or supplemental oxygen into the arena. It isn't pressurized like aircraft are.

Good, yes. But not that good. Jan 1, 2016 is a Friday. If week 17 of the NFL schedule falls on the 27th of December there will only be 4 days available to set up the rink. That isn't enough time. then, if the Patriots play in the first weekend of the playoffs there is no way they can take the rink down and repair any damage to the field in one day. They won't be playing the Winter Classic in Foxboro.

If they wanted to schedule an outdoor game in Foxboro they would need to play in February.

Ummm...What?!? This makes no sense. The air inside the Pepsi Center is the same as the air outside. They don't pump lower altitude air or supplemental oxygen into the arena. It isn't pressurized like aircraft are.

But even in the Pepsi Center there are some difficulties. I don't know much about the climate, but the league will have to take every aspect, no matter how small, into consideration.

Bruins/Rangers in the Yale Bowl (60,000+ capacity and about the midpoint between New York and Boston) would be awesome.

Of course, Pens/Flyers at Penn State would be equally as awesome. And dangerous. :D

I like the idea of changing up the type of venue from time to time. 

• 1 month later...

Personally, I think it's going to be the Habs taking on the Bruins at Foxboro Stadium, home of the NFL's New England Patriots. Can't think the NHL gives the Flyers another crack at an outdoor game, nor will it be the Penguins, Capitals, or Blackhawks. Maybe Buffalo, but I wouldn't doubt for a second that the NHL would want the Habs-B's rivalry on center stage.

It's happening. Habs will come into Foxboro in 2016 to play the Bruins in the Winter Classic. Multiple reports. Here's Puck Daddy:

http://t.co/EOSKFqK6nu

Should be a dandy. I might even try to get tickets.

• 3 weeks later...

Boston. Bruins have been reported as being the host of the 2016 outdoor game on New Years Day.

Puck Daddy on Yahoo had the report first from Bob McKenzie:

http://t.co/sz0KiQnWBr

Some of the topics in the Puck Daddy article are worth talking about... Who would the Bruins play? Where would the Bruins play? Why is the Western Conference not getting any of these games with the exclusion of Chicago?

What do you guys think?

Ian

ihabs1993

The Winter Classic is Bettman's All-American promotional baby and whack-off-fest, so there is 0% chance of the Montreal Canadiens being in it. (Toronto is an American city remember.)  *groan*  :rolleyes:

Never underestimate how many times Bettman can shove the Penguins down our throats. Boston vs Pittsburgh is probably going to be the matchup. If not Pittsburgh, then the New York Rangers would be option #2.

Can only happen in a Heritage Classic, but the league is trying to eliminate those because it promotes the game in Canada and that's not allowed according to Bettman.

Can only happen in a Heritage Classic, but the league is trying to eliminate those because it promotes the game in Canada and that's not allowed according to Bettman.

The Winter Classic is Bettman's All-American promotional baby and whack-off-fest, so there is 0% chance of the Montreal Canadiens being in it. (Toronto is an American city remember.)  *groan*  :rolleyes:

Never underestimate how many times Bettman can shove the Penguins down our throats. Boston vs Pittsburgh is probably going to be the matchup. If not Pittsburgh, then the New York Rangers would be option #2.

Hey guy, the league already came out and said that this is the match up. The Habs will play The Bruins at Patriot Place next year. They announced it last weekend at the all star game.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCwQ-AsoATAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thespec.com%2Fsports-story%2F5274401-bruins-to-host-habs-in-2016-winter-classic%2F&ei=k1DUVKGFAoa1sQTE8YHQCQ&usg=AFQjCNHiOxrpIHeWtQ4a2LJ_ZRx3kVKYuw&sig2=LqPH_5VYLiOLlVZzV5hkcw&bvm=bv.85464276,d.cWc

Second, I have no idea where you went when you said that Toronto is an American city.....?

They played in the Winter Classic at The Big House. Not really sure what you meant here. The Heritage Classic is an all Canadian game, yes, but the Winter Classic doesn't have to be. Not after the Leafs played the Wings, I guess.

Hey guy, the league already came out and said that this is the match up. The Habs will play The Bruins at Patriot Place next year. They announced it last weekend at the all star game.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCwQ-AsoATAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thespec.com%2Fsports-story%2F5274401-bruins-to-host-habs-in-2016-winter-classic%2F&ei=k1DUVKGFAoa1sQTE8YHQCQ&usg=AFQjCNHiOxrpIHeWtQ4a2LJ_ZRx3kVKYuw&sig2=LqPH_5VYLiOLlVZzV5hkcw&bvm=bv.85464276,d.cWc

Second, I have no idea where you went when you said that Toronto is an American city.....?

They played in the Winter Classic at The Big House. Not really sure what you meant here. The Heritage Classic is an all Canadian game, yes, but the Winter Classic doesn't have to be. Not after the Leafs played the Wings, I guess.

Oh. :o  I didn't realize it was actually happening.

Toronto is usually regarded as being the most "American" city in Canada, and is therefore usually the only Canadian city that gets an invite into activities that would otherwise only involve American cities, like the Winter Classic. That's all I meant. :)

Archived