Flyers Honoring Forsberg

radoran

Anyone else think this is absolutely ridiculous to be "honoring" a guy who played a grand total of 100 games for the team, scoring 30 goals and 85 assists and "leading" them to six whole playoff games?

Someone even put together a montage of his "greatest moments as a Flyer" - which doesn't apparently include close up shots of his boot.

I like Forsberg the player. I like what he did for the game. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

As "a Flyer" though, I don't really think I have all that much to "honor".

YMMV.

Thoughts?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as Foppa is one of my favorite players to ever lace them up I think this is a really odd jesture.   I get he is in the top 5 ppg players in Flyers history but really the scale of his work in Philly is really small.   Maybe Paul Coffey is next to be honored...

I get he is in the top 5 ppg players in Flyers history but really the scale of his work in Philly is really small. Maybe Paul Coffey is next to be honored...

I'm wondering if we get a "Mark Recchi Night" once he gets into the Hall.

Somehow, I doubt it...

And Recchi, IMO, did FAR more for this organization than Footpa ever did.

I'm wondering if we get a "Mark Recchi Night" once he gets into the Hall.

Somehow, I doubt it...

And Recchi, IMO, did FAR more for this organization than Footpa ever did.

absolutely he did...  another player that I loved growing up.

as V3.0 said it is pretty gimmicky and nothing more...   maybe it is the Flyers way of saying sorry for trading him for the Big E

maybe it is the Flyers way of saying sorry for trading him for the Big E

To the fanbase? Because they have nothing to apologize to Forsberg for.

And, if true, they are really spitting on what is arguably the second greatest period in franchise history.

Yes. I'm sick of this organization's marketing gimmicks and their "rich history".

Don't the Flyers have a rich history? Don't they have a " brand" that thousands of fans all over the world love?

Why are you ashamed of that history?

Anyone else think this is absolutely ridiculous to be "honoring" a guy who played a grand total of 100 games for the team, scoring 30 goals and 85 assists and "leading" them to six whole playoff games?

Someone even put together a montage of his "greatest moments as a Flyer" - which doesn't apparently include close up shots of his boot.

I like Forsberg the player. I like what he did for the game. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

YMMV.

Thoughts?

A bit odd  That said, I promise to let you all know in advance when the Pens honor Ken Wregget.

absolutely he did...  another player that I loved growing up.

as V3.0 said it is pretty gimmicky and nothing more...   maybe it is the Flyers way of saying sorry for trading him for the Big E

The only one that did not rub me the wrong way was the recent induction of Lindros and LeClair into the Flyers HOF and that is because it's actually deserved. I'll be fine with the Desjardins one too.

You can keep the rest of it. I can't imagine having to work for that organization with Snyder in charge. Having to make up fake holidays and occasions - it's probably like working for a greeting card company. All this ra ra crap all the time.

Don't the Flyers have a rich history? Don't they have a " brand" that thousands of fans all over the world love?

Why are you ashamed of that history?

Two championships in 47 years, the last of which was right around 40 years ago, is not what I'd call a "rich history". They are a respectable organization, but Snider's delusions of grandeur rank up there with Jeffrey Lurie's "Gold Standard" comment. Their history is nothing special.

YMMV.

Thoughts?

@Adamflyers and I just had this conversation the other night at the Devils game when we were reminded of this event by the scoreboard. (I am just thankful they are not doing anything really crazy like retire his number)

The "best" thing Footpa did for us as a team was help to net Lindros and now in hindsight it may have been better if we had just held on to him.  The best thing he did as a member of the flyers IMHO was give us this commercial.  

Otherwise yeah he didnt do too much for us when he was on the team besides create a circus atmosphere surrounding his feet.

Two championships in 47 years, the last of which was right around 40 years ago, is not what I'd call a "rich history". They are a respectable organization, but Snider's delusions of grandeur rank up there with Jeffrey Lurie's "Gold Standard" comment. Their history is nothing special.

First expansion team to win a Cup. Back to backs Cups. The game against the evil Commies, 35 games unbeaten. Clarke. Parent. Hextall scoring a goal etc.

I agree it's history, some of it a long time ago, but that doesn't mean the history is not special. It's certainly more special than, say, the Washington Capitals, or the Hartford Whalers, or the St Louis Blues or the San Jose Sharks or a while bunch of other teams...

First expansion team to win a Cup. Back to backs Cups. The game against the evil Commies, 35 games unbeaten. Clarke. Parent. Hextall scoring a goal etc.

I agree it's history, some of it a long time ago, but that doesn't mean the history is not special. It's certainly more special than, say, the Washington Capitals, or the Hartford Whalers, or the St Louis Blues or the San Jose Sharks or a while bunch of other teams...

All of it was a long time ago.

That's why they call it *history* - what about is not special? Recent history is less special, I will give you that.

How should I put this? You might have noticed (if you ever read anyone else's comments besides mine) that outside of "The Chairman" (and maybe you) nobody gives a F about this team's history. We're sick of it. It means little-to-nothing to us. Don't talk to us about the past, it does not distract us from the failures of the present (and it hasn't for a while now, we're not stupid).

How should I put this? You might have noticed (if you ever read anyone else's comments besides mine) that outside of "The Chairman" (and maybe you) nobody gives a F about this team's history. We're sick of it. It means little-to-nothing to us. Don't talk to us about the past, it does not distract us from the failures of the present (and it hasn't for a while now, we're not stupid).

Who is "us"?

The only one that did not rub me the wrong way was the recent induction of Lindros and LeClair into the Flyers HOF and that is because it's actually deserved. I'll be fine with the Desjardins one too.

You can keep the rest of it. I can't imagine having to work for that organization with Snyder in charge. Having to make up fake holidays and occasions - it's probably like working for a greeting card company. All this ra ra crap all the time.

Howe deserved his and Hextall deserved his... they are true Flyers. 

Somehow when I think of Foppa I think of the Avs...  he was impressive when he was here but it was only a 100 games or so. 

Howe deserved his and Hextall deserved his... they are true Flyers. 

Somehow when I think of Foppa I think of the Avs...  he was impressive when he was here but it was only a 100 games or so. 

Sure they do, no disagreement there. The problem is that Hextall's induction (08) was not the last time we heard about one of the Flyer greats. There's something (not necessarily a HOF induction) every year. Multiple times a year. It's the frequency in which it is done and how big a deal is made out of the past (which when you look at how long ago it is....it's not a big deal anymore). Ed Snider seems to think it's 1976. He's out of touch and out to lunch.

Believe it or not, I'm not the one who created this thread. I'm also not the only one who expressed agreement with rad's initial statement. That's who. Seriously bud, can you not read?

I can and what I see is you speaking for ALL Flyer fans (except for me and Ed). And you seem to be saying that none of us are fans, remain fans, or became fans, because we liked the team's rich history, we like their "brand." Is that what you are saying?

I can and what I see is you speaking for ALL Flyer fans (except for me and Ed). And you seem to be saying that none of us are fans, remain fans, or became fans, because we liked the team's rich history, we like their "brand." Is that what you are saying?

So, you actually can't read. Well that clears that up.

So, you actually can't read. Well that clears that up.

Listen, I don't enjoy reading your drivel, but just answer the question. Is that what you are saying?

Since you speak for all Flyer, we anxiously wait to hear what we think and feel about the Flyers' history..

Listen, I don't enjoy reading your drivel, but just answer the question. Is that what you are saying?

Since you speak for all Flyer, we anxiously wait to hear what we think and feel about the Flyers' history..

You might want to seek the help of a medical professional . I do believe 14 posts (in one day) to someone you claim you don't enjoy interacting with would classify as an unhealthy obsession.

Archived