Pens Get Perron for 1st round pick and Klinkhammer

Haha, the only difference is that the Flyers GMs have more money than brains, and at the very least we get to enjoy playoff hockey virtually every year. 17 of the last 22 years or something?

Edmonton has all these gifts fall in their lap and they *still* can't ice an NHL level team - and it's been like that for a few decades now. In the same span, they've made the playoffs 6 of the last 22 years (including this year which is a foregone conclusion).

I know, it's no comparison. But the current Oilers owner *is* filthy rich, by all accounts, having made a killing from generic drug rebates. Do they spend anywhere near the cap? So they all need to go from the very top down...

I am going to go further with this line of thought.

The Pens are in "Win now" mode. And will be for the next few years. A 1st round pick from the Pens is basically almost a second round pick. They need top 6 talent now While Crosby and Malkin are still in their primes, not 4-5 years down the road. Perron himself was drafted 26th overall, is 26 years old and still signed all next year too for the cheap cap hit of 3.8 million. He scored 28 goals and 57 points ON THE OILERS not even top line.

Hornqvist is a good player. Always liked him in Nashville. But more of a grinder. Kunitz seems to be regressing. Perron might just be a perfect fit for the Pens because of his low cap hit, age, and ability to play either wing well.

The pens won this trade. They traded a near 2nd round pick that "Might" have turned into a Perron 4-5 years down the road for a real live Perron already producing when they need producing wingers.

Someone just posted this :lol:

David Perron was drafted by St Louis with the 26th overall pick. The Oilers just traded for a first that is likely to fall around the 25-30 range.

It reminds me of the episode of Family Guy where Lois wanted a boat but Peter chose the mystery box instead (this is always my analogy when trading NHL players for Picks)

Heres the scene translated to hockey terms:

MacT: Come on Kevin (Lowe), David Perron is David Perron, but a draft pick could be anything... Hell it could be a David Perron. You know how much we would like one of those!!!

Haha, the only difference is that the Flyers GMs have more money than brains, and at the very least we get to enjoy playoff hockey virtually every year. 17 of the last 22 years or something?

Edmonton has all these gifts fall in their lap and they *still* can't ice an NHL level team - and it's been like that for a few decades now. In the same span, they've made the playoffs 6 of the last 22 years (including this year which is a foregone conclusion).

Yes, the Oilers have been a terrible disappointment under this regime. Yes, the Oilers have been mostly bad since 1993. There were also significant issues that honestly made it difficult to even consider winning.

Dynasty is Destroyed: We all know how they got to 1993. Between 1987 and '93, the Dynasty was stripped down for spare change and ill fitting parts. Glen Sather was forced to rebuild from the ground-up, trading 6 future Hall of Famers in their prime years, all while having to remain as competitive as possible.

No Money, Mo Problems: In addition to losing all of their talent, the hens came home to roost, and the Oilers were also punished by their poor drafting from 1984 and on. During this time, Oilers owner Peter Pocklington worked to sell the club, but season ticket sales drives saved the team's future in the city. Pocklington's best opportunity to sell the club during this time came Houston Rockets owner Les Alexander, who wanted to move the club to Texas.

EIG, AKA Even Less Money Than Before: By 1998, the ATB had the Oilers in receivership, and were looking at all available offers on the club, and accepted a deposit from Alexander, with the provision that a local buyer had 30 days to match the amount. The Edmonton Investors Group, a partnership of almost 40 local businessmen and women, ended up paying the deposit and securing the loan to all within 40 days, and were now the new owners. If Glen Sather thought he would be given more money to run the team, he was wrong. He was told that hockey funding would be even less than before. He was once again forced to trade UFAs on deadline day and/or watch them sign with rich clubs on July 1. Finally, after the 2000 season, he'd had enough and signed with the Rangers.

Kevin Lowe Moves In: With Sather gone, the EIG promoted Kevin Lowe to the GM job, and the first news he received was that he would have to go without a farm system, as there was simply no money. Sit back and let that soak in for a minute. Do you think that might slightly disrupt a team's ability to develop talent? Due to the even tighter budget constraints, Lowe was forced to trade all of his major assets except for Ryan Smyth, who took a series of hometown discounts in order to stay in EDM. It's easy to rip Lowe now, but he took a rebuilt club to the playoffs in 4 of his first 5 seasons, including a trip to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2006. Again: this was all with a rebuilt roster with one leftover player from Sather.

I think it only fair to point out, for those who say that Kevin Lowe is an idiot: the Oilers record in his last years as GM was 41-35-6. That is not tanking. That is not ineptitude.

2008 thru Today: Daryl Katz is New Owner: In the summer of 1998, Katz completed his hostile takeover of the team, and after a year, he promoted his old friend, Lowe, to President of Hockey Ops, hiring Steve Tambellini as GM. It proved to be the disaster we've all seen. He went from trying to win, but losing all the time, to tanking by way of trading away all NHL talent on the roster.

---

As I said, it's very fair to point out that they haven't done a lot over the years, but it's also very fair to point out that they operated under extreme poverty, and have only been a joke since new ownership took over in 2008.

For a team with a shoestring budget for a very long time, to the point that they were forced to dismantle their entire farm system, they didn't do too badly.

As I said, it's very fair to point out that they haven't done a lot over the years, but it's also very fair to point out that they operated under extreme poverty, and have only been a joke since new ownership took over in 2008.

For a team with a shoestring budget for a very long time, to the point that they were forced to dismantle their entire farm system, they didn't do too badly.

Yes, your post rings true. It's a sad state of affairs.

So what's the solution? Is there any hope for Edmonton? 

I mean, why wouldn't McDavid pull a Lindros and say he doesn't want to play for an organization with a 'losing culture' as was said of the Nordiques, who just didn't have the funds to ice a competitive team?

I'm not saying what Lindros did was right - it was a very "entitled brat" kind of mentality. But he wasn't wrong about the organization.

What is the solution for bringing the Oilers back to respectability?

@brelic

They'll likely get one of McEichel. Theres the #1 center they don't have. RNH becomes the #2 which is more suitable.Or Draisatl. Trade the other for defence.  Darnell Nurse sure as heck looks like a top pairing defenceman to me going forward. Hopefully that covers that problem. They've got marincin and Kelfbom. Still need a goalie...maybe grab Mackenzie Blackwood in the 2nd, he sure looks good IMO.

Yes, your post rings true. It's a sad state of affairs.

So what's the solution? Is there any hope for Edmonton? 

I mean, why wouldn't McDavid pull a Lindros and say he doesn't want to play for an organization with a 'losing culture' as was said of the Nordiques, who just didn't have the funds to ice a competitive team?

I'm not saying what Lindros did was right - it was a very "entitled brat" kind of mentality. But he wasn't wrong about the organization.

What is the solution for bringing the Oilers back to respectability?

I read a quote from Connor McDavid where he said he wouldn't pull a Lindros. He'll go wherever he's drafted.

---

For a very long time, the Oilers seem to have operated under this idea that they're the smartest men in the room. I don't think that it's ever a good idea, but if you're going to take that approach, at least have the results to back it up. They obviously haven't done well.

Good Outcome            Bad Outcome----------------------------------------------------------Good Process           Deserved Success        Bad BreakBad Process            Dumb Luck               Poetic Justice
The Oilers have been operating under "Bad Process - Poetic Justice" since about 2007. Hell, as far as the draft goes, if they didn't spend a nickel on scouting, and had just gone with Bob McKenzie's draft list, they'd have done much better. Kevin Lowe was NOT an inept GM, but he let things get away from him after losing in the Finals of 2006. He minded the dollars while the pennies all slipped through the cracks.

So, to me, they need to get back to a Good Process practice. What's the solution? I'm not a hockey man, but I have some ideas that I don't think are crazy. Limiting my ideas to just the first 3 that pop into my head:

-Any coach, GM or scout who is hired should go through an actual interview process. They've never done that. Glen Sather was promoted from withing after coaching, as was Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish. Their only outside hire was Steve Tambellini, who had been passed over for the GM job in Vancouver several times. As an example of how odd their hiring process is: when Steve Smith joined the club as a coach three years ago, it was after Kevin Lowe bumped into him at the airport in Chicago. They spoke for 10 minutes, and Lowe offered him a job. Can't do that.

-Stop going off the board at the draft table, full-stop. Seriously. They have not once been right when doing it, so they should quit.

-Craig MacTavish needs to quit interfering with the head coach's lineup, as we now have some very solid evidence that this has been the case. Example: when Martin Marincin was sent down at the beginning of the year, Todd Nelson said he was shocked, as he considers Marincin to be a clear NHL defenseman of high quality. Yet, with Nelson as coach, Marincin hasn't been called up to EDM. That's MacT.

@JR Ewing

Really good post. I think it was largely things I knew as it went, but a great eye opener all laid out like that.

About a month ago, I had written up a large post which documented the collapse piece by piece. It was epic... And then my browser froze up on me, causing me to lose all of it. I just didn't have the heart to do it again.

About a month ago, I had written up a large post which documented the collapse piece by piece. It was epic... And then my browser froze up on me, causing me to lose all of it. I just didn't have the heart to do it again.

Man, that sucks

oh man..agree with Rux...that sucks.... I would have loved to read that

That happened to me once. But the forum auto saved it for me. Strange

Archived