Pens Get Perron for 1st round pick and Klinkhammer

http://www.tsn.ca/oilers-ship-lw-perron-to-penguins-for-2015-first-round-pick-c-klinkhammer-1.173020

The Edmonton Oilers have traded left winger David Perron to the Pittsburgh Penguins for a first-round draft pick in 2015.

Through 38 games this season, Perron has five goals and 14 assists.

Acquired from the St. Louis Blues in July 2013 in exchange for Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson, the 26-year-old set a career high in goals with 28 in his first year in Edmonton.

A native of Sherbrooke, Quebec, Perron is in his eighth NHL season. He has scored at least 20 goals on three occasions.

Perron joins a Penguins team riddled by injury and sickness this season with the team finding itself at the centre of the league's mumps outbreak. The most significant loss for the Penguins has been that of Pascal Dupuis, who is out for the season with a blood clot in his lungs. Among the Penguins' forward corps, all of Sidney Crosby, Patric Hornqvist and Steve Downie have also missed time this season through injury and illness.

Klinkhammer, 28, was only acquired by the Penguins on December 5 from the Arizona Coyotes.

A native of Lethbridge, Alberta, Klinkhammer is in his fourth NHL season, having also spent time with the Chicago Blackhawks and Ottawa Senators. In a career-high 72 games last season, Klinkhammer had 11 goals and nine assists.

Splitting time between the Coyotes and Penguins, Klinkhammer has tallied four goals and two assists in 29 games this season.

The Penguins, first in the Metropolian Division and second in the Eastern Conference with 51 points, are next in action on Friday night when they host the Tampa Bay Lightning.

The Oilers are also in action on Friday, taking on the Colorado Avalanche in Denver.

Wow. The 1st round draft pick is probably going to be #1 or #2 with the way the Oilers are playing.

EDIT: OK, I read that wrong. Edmonton gets the Pens 1st round pick which will probably be in the end of the round.

Skeptical about this deal at first giving up a first however he is a proven scorer, 26, still has a year left and it looks like Edmonton may be helping Pittsburgh pay for his contract. Definitely have a shot at resigning him especially seeing how well he will fit on the top line with Sidney Crosby. 

So glad we didn't give up one of our young dmen like Doumilin/Maata/Pouliot which i'm surprised because Edmonton NEEDS blue line players. We have center depth, extra young dmen AND goaltender depth, not winger depth. 

You can argue a 1st may be a bit too much but the Pens pick wouldn't be in the top 20 for sure and WE NEEDED WINGER DEPTH with all these damn injuries/mumps issues. 

So what are we looking at for top 6

Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Malkin - Beau/Comeau

I like THAT.

Maybe see if we can snag an additional winger for Geno's line before the deadline but i'd be satisfied with that PROVIDED everyone stays healthy. 

Let's hope Perron stays healthy and stays away from those mumps!
Go Pens!

Perron must be thanking the Hockey gods. 27431468-muscular-survivor-man-in-jungle

Klinkhammer and just about every prospect expected to go late in the first round this year are probably crying

man-crying.jpg

Seriously. Every prospect from 20-30 are probably going to go nuts trying to up their game to get out of that pick range, or drop to the 2nd round hoping to go the Oilers don't draft them.

The Oilers keep doing it to themselves. This was not a very good hockey trade for the Oilers, who do not need more draft picks. 

They need actual veteran roster players, of which Perron was one.

Well, this kind of cements McDavid or Eichel.

Skeptical about this deal at first giving up a first however he is a proven scorer, 26, still has a year left and it looks like Edmonton may be helping Pittsburgh pay for his contract. Definitely have a shot at resigning him especially seeing how well he will fit on the top line with Sidney Crosby. 

So glad we didn't give up one of our young dmen like Doumilin/Maata/Pouliot which i'm surprised because Edmonton NEEDS blue line players. We have center depth, extra young dmen AND goaltender depth, not winger depth. 

You can argue a 1st may be a bit too much but the Pens pick wouldn't be in the top 20 for sure and WE NEEDED WINGER DEPTH with all these damn injuries/mumps issues. 

So what are we looking at for top 6

Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist

Kunitz - Malkin - Beau/Comeau

I like THAT.

Maybe see if we can snag an additional winger for Geno's line before the deadline but i'd be satisfied with that PROVIDED everyone stays healthy. 

Let's hope Perron stays healthy and stays away from those mumps!

Go Pens!

From what I heard, Hornqvist is out several weeks with a lower body injury. 

Giving up the first rounder kind of sucks, but he IS a top six winger who scored 28 last year with the Oil.   And he has another year after this.  When things get all healthy(sometime), It gives us 3 solid lines.  It still won't move Kunitz from Sid's hip, I think he has pictures of Mario in a compromising position, so I would think come playoff time it may look like:

Kunitz Crosby Hornqvist

Perron Malkin Comeau

Bennet Sutter Downie

Goc Adams Spalling/Farnham

I still think that they need to move Martin before the deadline if they have no intention to resign him with the current youth depth the Pens have on defense.

Perron is still young. He's worth a late first easy. Should light it up with either centre. Could be a win win...time will tell. Pens cant wait forever for management to draft a winger. Kapanen pulling a disappearing act at WJ.

I get what you guys are saying about badly needing winger depth, but this just seems like the wrong year to be dealing a 1st round pick. That is a big negative for me. From a Oiler perspective, not only do they get maximum value for Perron, but they will probably just plug and play Klinkhammer, I can't see him not being better one of the top 6 d'men in Oil-land.

The positive for the Pens is the fact Perron scored 28 goals for Edmonton....while playing on their 2nd line and spent just as much on the 2nd pp than the 1st. Taking those stats and playing time into account, their is a real nice chance that Perron's 28 go up to into the 35-40 goal range.....and as we all know, 35-40 goal scorers don't grow on trees in this league.

This is kind of a weird move by Rutherford IMHO. It's the type of deal that should be a finishing touch type of thing, an addition that is meant to get your over the proverbial hump.....I just don't think they have enough offensive depth to pull off a cup win this year. Purely from a win/loss perspective, the Pens, Ducks, Wings and Preds are the only teams left with single digit losses.....so the Pens are in the mix I guess.

Of course, the big question will be, can the Pens resign David or is he a rental? They simply have to re-sign him to avoid being totally taken to the cleaners...unless they win the Cup of course. Seems like Rutherford will be in a weak bargaining position. Hopefully, this is the start of a long standing tradition of Rutherford trading off picks for older type players!!

If Edmonton ends up with a shot at a number one or two pick, will they trade that away for a couple reliable players?   Eichel or McDavid aren't going to turn that trainwreck around, and Oilers might want to get some strength through depth. 

Just speculating.

The Oilers keep doing it to themselves. This was not a very good hockey trade for the Oilers, who do not need more draft picks. 

They need actual veteran roster players, of which Perron was one.

Well, this kind of cements McDavid or Eichel.

Rebuild 2.0, I guess.

Perron is one of my favorites, he plays the game the right way, he knows how to pass and shoot and get back on defense, can play in any situation, on any line tho he is best suited for a top six role. Skill, finesse stuck on a wretched team he complained a month ago about how the Oilers need t get their crap together and in exchange for actually caring he was traded. Good one for the Penguins, he should be near a point a game player in Pittsburgh and  responsible defensively. LOVE the move for the Pens.

@Podein25 Kapanen has not been lighting the lamp, but dammit, I'm super impressed with his speed and skill. Kid has star written all over him.

He does, but I wonder about his attitude. Did you see him on that 4 min PP the Finns had? Twice he sauntered to the bench in disgust. Don't like the body language.

I get what you guys are saying about badly needing winger depth, but this just seems like the wrong year to be dealing a 1st round pick. That is a big negative for me. From a Oiler perspective, not only do they get maximum value for Perron, but they will probably just plug and play Klinkhammer, I can't see him not being better one of the top 6 d'men in Oil-land.

The positive for the Pens is the fact Perron scored 28 goals for Edmonton....while playing on their 2nd line and spent just as much on the 2nd pp than the 1st. Taking those stats and playing time into account, their is a real nice chance that Perron's 28 go up to into the 35-40 goal range.....and as we all know, 35-40 goal scorers don't grow on trees in this league.

This is kind of a weird move by Rutherford IMHO. It's the type of deal that should be a finishing touch type of thing, an addition that is meant to get your over the proverbial hump.....I just don't think they have enough offensive depth to pull off a cup win this year. Purely from a win/loss perspective, the Pens, Ducks, Wings and Preds are the only teams left with single digit losses.....so the Pens are in the mix I guess.

Of course, the big question will be, can the Pens resign David or is he a rental? They simply have to re-sign him to avoid being totally taken to the cleaners...unless they win the Cup of course. Seems like Rutherford will be in a weak bargaining position. Hopefully, this is the start of a long standing tradition of Rutherford trading off picks for older type players!!

Perron is signed through next year already. This is not a rental

Rebuild 2.0, I guess.

It appears that way - though they never got the first rebuild right.

If my Flyers were run by a bunch of chucklehead GMs like in Edmonton - and I fully admit Homer was a chucklehead but with deep deep pockets - I would probably have to switch teams just to avoid poking my eyes out.

It appears that way - though they never got the first rebuild right.

If my Flyers were run by a bunch of chucklehead GMs like in Edmonton - and I fully admit Homer was a chucklehead but with deep deep pockets - I would probably have to switch teams just to avoid poking my eyes out.

You haven't poked your eyes out yet? I did ages ago. Thankfully I taught the sheep to text.

You haven't poked your eyes out yet? I did ages ago. Thankfully I taught the sheep to text.

Haha, the only difference is that the Flyers GMs have more money than brains, and at the very least we get to enjoy playoff hockey virtually every year. 17 of the last 22 years or something? 

Edmonton has all these gifts fall in their lap and they *still* can't ice an NHL level team - and it's been like that for a few decades now. In the same span, they've made the playoffs 6 of the last 22 years (including this year which is a foregone conclusion).

Archived