Sabres back in race for McDavid and Eichel

Buffalo Rick

Just when they had me worried about blowing this thing, they have been doing what they do best this year, LOSE.   Thank God for small favors.  And lose I hope they continue to do and fall below Edmonton, no easy task.  Somehow the Oilers beat the Islanders last night.  This has been the most unpredictable year in the NHL I  can remember.  And is there any real standout team on top?  Maybe the Blackhawks and Blues.  I like the Blues chances because of Teresenko.  That kid is  a monster of a player.  The Rangers are now back in the conversation.  The one bright spot for the Sabres is Girgensons.  Who ever would have thought he would be the number one vote getter in the All Star game?  Pretty impressive.  So they must build around him and Moulson and a few others.  I am not sure about the goalie situation moving forward.  Goalies get hot and cold.  Finding the next Hasek and Miller will not be easy.  History has been good to the Sabres when it comes to finding goalies.  I hope it continues.  They two they have now are not bad.  Probably good enough to win with if they had a talented veteran squad which they do not.  Next year will be very interesting.  I hope they finish dead last and can land at least one of the top three players.  With 3 number ones and some twos also, they are going to get better in a hurry.  

Who ever would have thought he would be the number one vote getter in the All Star game?

The entire nation of Latvia who has voted multiple times (each) for him?

That said, Sabres have some reason to hope for the future.

The entire nation of Latvia who has voted multiple times (each) for him?

That said, Sabres have some reason to hope for the future.

I am not buying into that being the only reason he is on the team.  You play on a team with the worst record or close, and you play like he has, you deserve to go.  I am glad to see Edmonton at least return to the league.  We may just catch them

I am not buying into that being the only reason he is on the team.  You play on a team with the worst record or close, and you play like he has, you deserve to go.  I am glad to see Edmonton at least return to the league.  We may just catch them

Not a question of deserving to go. A question of whether he would be number 1 overall if Latvia hadn't voted so enthusiastically for him.

He wouldn't be.

How'd you like to be 20 years old, heading for the all-star game, making a great living playing a game?

Gives me pleasure to think of such a great kid having that much fun.

This isn't black magic. The Sabres were never out of contention for 30th, and were riding unsustainable short-term percentages.

Winning Run, Nov 18 - Dec 15:

Shots For/60: 23.4, Shots Against/60: 32.5

Corsi For% 38.5, Goals For% 53.5

SV% .938

Losing Again, Dec 20 thru today

Shots For/60: 21.7, Shots Against/60: 32.4

Corsi For%: 37.4%, Goals For%: 33.3%

SV%: .907

The long and the short of it:

-They have the puck just as little as they did during the streak.

-The Sabres got .938 SV% goaltending from a pair of of career .915 goalies, so even though they allowed the exact same number of shots as the last few weeks, the GA went down. It can happen for a few weeks before it comes back down to earth.

-It never fails: perception is a funny thing, and that's when fans and media convince themselves that the coach's message is getting through, that the corner has been turned, etc, etc, etc.

I don't mean this a troll or anything like that. The team I cheer for sits 30th, and mostly has for the last 4 years, so I'm the last one to take shots... It's just that streaks like these are as old as the game, but for some reason, lots of people never figure it out.

• 1 month later...

The team with the worst record is DUE to win the lottery.  I believe the Sabres will win it.  I do not doubt for a minute they will wind up right where they are now, 30th.  And even though they have been competitive on the ice to a degree, they know its the best outcome.  Impact players that are great can turn teams around and make them good.  We have seen it before.  The 94 Rangers did not even make the playoffs after winning the Cup, and never would have won if not for one Mark Messier.  That guy picked that team up and single handed  did in the battle tested Devils in a classic and then beat Bure's Canuck's in final that not many figured would go 7.  But it was proof of what a star or two can do.  Just like with Bobby Orr back in the day.  Beyond Orr and Espo the Bruins were probably not nearly as deep as those St Louis Blues with the Plaguer bros and Red Berenson and Jacque Plante.  Orr was the difference.  A guy like McDavid could be the difference?  Its not like we are without talent.  The plan is to have EVander Kane with Sam Reinhart and either McDavid or Eichel on one line

• 3 weeks later...

14 games to go Ted Nolan.  DO NOT SCREW THIS UP!!! Arizona and Edmonton are on tank missions.  But Edmonton has been scoring and really have been trying of late.  Arizona is pathetic.  It would be a total injustice if they were to get McDavid or Eichel as their fan base, is no fan base.  Buffalo, Edmonton and Toronto have deserving fans to land one of these guys.  As long as we do not get stupid we should be fine.  But battling the Rangers like they did to the final minutes, it worries me.  If they do that against the many lesser teams, they may win.  And without a goalie of any quality or proven track record, and with the injuries to Girgensons and Kane and the fact they traded away pretty much everyone but Moulson and Gionta and the injured, it would seem highly unlikely they would win more than two games if that?  I hope they lose them all if that is what it takes to finish last.  It is the only smart choice now.  If they land one of the two big fish, its going to be a very big deal in Buffalo for years to come. 

What does that mean? 

Who knows, I was probably drunk. It's all meant in good fun anyway. Good to see you around. How is the Sabres' tank coming along? They must have a Girl Guide in net by now...

@Podein25  I'm thinking it would be a whole lotta fun for the Sabres to finish 2nd last and lose the lottery, thus missing out on both Eichel and McJesus. I don't want those 2 anywhere the Sabres. Edmonton will get one of the 2...but I'd rather have one of them in Buffalo than Zona....Zona does not deserve stars...that fan base just flat out sucks.

I'm thinking it would be a whole lotta fun for the Sabres to finish 2nd last and lose the lottery, thus missing out on both Eichel and McJesus. I don't want those 2 anywhere the Sabres. Edmonton will get one of the 2...but I'd rather have one of them in Buffalo than Zona....Zona does not deserve stars...that fan base just flat out sucks.

You're a man who holds a grudge. I like that about you!

@Podein25 I'm thinking it would be a whole lotta fun for the Sabres to finish 2nd last and lose the lottery, thus missing out on both Eichel and McJesus. I don't want those 2 anywhere the Sabres. Edmonton will get one of the 2...but I'd rather have one of them in Buffalo than Zona....Zona does not deserve stars...that fan base just flat out sucks.

I think if you look at the Buffalo fanbase and adoration of the aport, they do Deserve it.

Archived