Glad they challenged niskanen from the bench and not the ice

icehole

The point is, Shultz still threw a hit. Which tells you McQuaid had zero effect scaring him out of ever hitting another Bruin again.

I get the whole team first thing. And I also agree somewhat on the Laughton hit being answered, since he's a rookie and was injured. Nailing Niskanen with a clean hit would have the same effect. But I'm sick of every hit having to result in a fight. 

show it, because i have watched the game twice and if shultz hit lucic, like he hit laughton, i must have been watching a clipped version.

I never said every hit needs to result in a fight did I? there are times when teams have to. Like when you are almost completely eliminated from the playoffs by the all star break, show zero heart, dont act like a team, and niskanen just put out one of your best prospects and a raw rookie.  That was a time and they didnt.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you are advocating taking big legal hits out of the game?

Or just big legal hits when your team is on the receiving end?

Because that is exactly what you are advocating for.

And yes - Niskanen will make the hit again if given the opportunity. No. Matter. What.

Its called being a team, sticking up for your team mates. Caring about each other. If niskanen can do that with zero repercussions, and i mean ZERO, he will do it again. Its got nothing to do with whether its legal or not, thats for the league to decide. The team only needs to know that a raw rookie, with a lot of talent, just got layed out right before their eyes and if they dont answer that, in some form.......they will look and will be weak.

Niskanen needs to know, just like shultz knows now from his hit on paille, that he can try to put a guy out but if he does they WILL respond. 

You are supposed to protect rookies, they didnt.

It was no run of the mill ordinary hit. It was a guy seeing a vulnerable player and deciding to destroy him if he can. What responding to that hit does is it makes a little bitch like niskanen think about it next time, and pass it up, like I see the flyers pass them up all the  time this year. He might make the hit again, or take him out of the play, but he will think twice about sending him into lala land.  If he wont fight, like hextall said, fine then, you send the message on backstrom, One of ours is in the quiet room, so is one of yours, how do you like it?. But what they give, they get back. If not, you lose respect from opponents and they get brave because they know they can push you around. And you keep losing and the quiet room gets busy.

If you watch the flyers, compared to the bruins in that game last Saturday, and any game, you will notice that one team finished every check, and another team turned away from every opportunity to finish a check out of fear of penalties. I see flyers constantly turn away from checks, afraid of penalties because they are going for the lady byng i guess. 

You cant fear penalties all the time. You also cant avenge every clean hit. There are times however, when as a team, you are tested and if you dont respond to it and you allow someone like niskanen to put out a raw rookie with no response, you are weak.

hextall will fix it, guaranteed.

@csummers

Heres the gamesheet...shows Shultz with 3 hits, so he threw 2 more after McQuaid taught him to never ever hit a Bruin again as long as he lives. The Flyers threw 35 total hits...so 34 after the fight. Beating up someone in the NHL will rarely ever stop them from throwing a bodycheck. The end.

NO. PLAYER POS G A P +/- PIM S HITS BKS GVA TKA FO% PP TOI SH TOI TOI 5 B. Coburn D 0 0 0 -1 0 1 0 1 0 0 - 0:16 4:18 17:51 10 B. Schenn C 0 0 0 -1 0 2 2 0 1 0 100% 5:14 0:00 20:04 12 M. Raffl L 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 100% 0:10 0:12 9:19 14 S. Couturier C 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 2 0 1 43% 3:34 3:08 19:24 15 M. Del Zotto D 0 0 0 0 0 2 3 4 1 0 - 3:55 1:27 20:23 17 W. Simmonds R 0 0 0 -2 0 2 4 0 0 0 - 5:10 0:00 16:24 18 R. Umberger C 0 0 0 0 0 2 3 1 1 24 M. Read R 0 0 0 -1 0 4 3 0 0 1 50% 2:16 1:11 18:03 28 C. Giroux C 1 0 1 -1 0 3 1 0 0 0 55% 5:14 1:29 22:21 32 M. Streit D 0 1 1 -1 2 1 1 0 0 0 - 6:22 0:00 22:28 40 V. Lecavalier C 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 50% 3:50 0:00 14:20 47 A. MacDonald D 0 0 0 0 2 1 3 0 0 0 - 0:20 1:26 19:06 49 S. Laughton C 0 0 0 -1 0 1 3 1 1 0 38% 0:10 0:12 10:52 55 N. Schultz D 0 0 0 -1 5 1 3 1 0 0 - 0:00 3:14 14:31 76 C. VandeVelde C 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 - 0:16 2:34 9:07 78 P. Bellemare L 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 43% 0:26 2:47 10:49 93 J. Voracek R 0 1 1 -1 2 2 1 0 0 0 - 5:23 0:00

19:36

shows Shultz with 3 hits

This is one of the many issues with this team....when Schultz was signed to be your 7th Dman option and he is playing on your 1st.....well that is a perfect example of something has gone wrong.

@OR... No doubt about it. Losing Kimmo hurt and when Schultz is your most steady dman it says a lot about the quality of this group.

It is a shame that Cote, Shelley or Rosehill can't play defense... Otherwise we would win the cup! <ninja>

It always amazes me when other Flyers fans paint me (and other Flyers fans) into such a tight corner that I have to agree near 100% with a Penguin's fan!  :unsure[1]: Thanks for coming in on this. You would know Nis better than most on how he plays. ( you would have made 100% but you said "regardless of what Flyers fans think" a few posts up there but not all Flyers fans are thinking that! I know, I'm knit picking!!!)

Welcome!

FWIW - I said "regardless of what the Flyers think" (no "fans"). Referencing the players thinking it must have been a dirty hit since they were yapping from the bench.

Its called being a team, sticking up for your team mates. Caring about each other. If niskanen can do that with zero repercussions, and i mean ZERO, he will do it again. Its got nothing to do with whether its legal or not, thats for the league to decide. The team only needs to know that a raw rookie, with a lot of talent, just got layed out right before their eyes and if they dont answer that, in some form.......they will look and will be weak.

They looked weak by yapping and not backing it up.  Doing "nothing" - no yapping - is not week.

Niskanen needs to know, just like shultz knows now from his hit on paille, that he can try to put a guy out but if he does they WILL respond.

You are supposed to protect rookies, they didnt.

Niskanen wasn't trying to injure Laughton. He was trying to deliver a big hit. Like it or not the injury is incidental. You are supposed to protect rookies (and all other players) from cheap shots. Dirty hits.  This wasn't one of those.

It was no run of the mill ordinary hit. It was a guy seeing a vulnerable player and deciding to destroy him if he can. What responding to that hit does is it makes a little bitch like niskanen think about it next time, and pass it up, like I see the flyers pass them up all the time this year. He might make the hit again, or take him out of the play, but he will think twice about sending him into lala land. If he wont fight, like hextall said, fine then, you send the message on backstrom, One of ours is in the quiet room, so is one of yours, how do you like it?. But what they give, they get back. If not, you lose respect from opponents and they get brave because they know they can push you around. And you keep losing and the quiet room gets busy.

And there are your true colors!  By calling Niskaken a little b---- it's clear you don't like players - espeically guys not know for physical play - leveling your guys with big legal hits.  Same with your fighting comment.  Niskanen shouldn't have to fight for "answer" for that hit. If he's challenge I hope he would tell whoever it was to GFT. Again - your argument means you are advocating taking big clean hits out of the game. Unless of course, it's one of your guys on the hitting end and not the receiving end.

There was nothing - NOTHING - Niskanen did there that justifies him being called a little b----. Your guy had his head down and got his clocked cleaned. Get over it and...frankly...stop acting like a little b---- that it happened.

If you watch the flyers, compared to the bruins in that game last Saturday, and any game, you will notice that one team finished every check, and another team turned away from every opportunity to finish a check out of fear of penalties. I see flyers constantly turn away from checks, afraid of penalties because they are going for the lady byng i guess.

You cant fear penalties all the time. You also cant avenge every clean hit. There are times however, when as a team, you are tested and if you dont respond to it and you allow someone like niskanen to put out a raw rookie with no response, you are weak.

hextall will fix it, guaranteed.

Maybe you have a team that just doesn't like hitting? I have no idea. I don't see the Flyers enough.  I doubt they "fear" penalties though.

when Schultz is your most steady dman it says a lot about the quality of this group.

It's nauseating....but i'm just focusing on the draft pick they may land i'm come to gripes that there will be no playoffs this year...it's hard but the more you watch this team play.......Stevie Wonder could see it. I expect a quick rebuild this offseason and expect to be back in the challenge come next years playoffs....so more like a retool than a rebuild.....maybe....on the positive side....on the negative side well you know i don't have to tell anyone a couple years away.  

It is a shame that Cote, Shelley or Rosehill can't play defense

You know in fact that may even be a good idea...........it will certainly expedite to fall to the #1. Call it the Tampa Bay Buccaneer move...in case you're not familiar with this comparison in the game versus New Orleans Saints their division rivalry a game they were winning mind you.....they for no reason just bench several guys on both sides of the ball to help sway the tide and secure the loss to secure the #1 overall pick.

Something i expect will happen the closer we get to the end of the season the closer the bottom feeders are to the #1 pick this year in the NHL....and i expect the Flyers to play along as well because they i hope will be in it the way they are playing.

Wow just going through some of the fight clips from just last night....all of these...so sorry folks it's just the norm now a clean hit and you are going to pay...i don't agree with it but the code has changed...so it seems maybe the Flyers now were just playing smart and trying not to take a penalty taking them out the game...so smart i think if you want to win not a question of their balls....

times have changed.

It was no run of the mill ordinary hit. It was a guy seeing a vulnerable player and deciding to destroy him if he can. What responding to that hit does is it makes a little bitch like niskanen think about it next time, and pass it up, like I see the flyers pass them up all the  time this year.

you're right about that hit not being ordinary; it was a dream scenario, and i guarantee you any NHL player makes that hit every time.  

I doubt anyone currently playing in any league presented with that opportunity turns away from that hit, whether they have to answer for it or not.  You seem to have a disconnect about the fact that hockey is a contact sport and people get hit, you're all about standing up and protecting yours, which, okay, is admirable , however  Rookies, old washed up dudes, super-stars, 3rd line guys ;everyone who plays hockey gets hit.

It's not like Laughton is a rookie so oh, don't hit him he's a baby... Laughton would make that hit if the roles were reversed.  

I care more about winning than I do the macho ****,  if Niskanen lines him up from 20 feet, or aimed for his head , or left his feet , or carved him with his stick  slew footed him into the corner, well then go kick his ass. But that didn't happen, made a great hit on a hockey play.  play on. 

The Flyers didn't curl up and die after that hit, they continued to control the play, they were a goal down.  

it is hard to see our team suck.

@OccamsRazor

i think that is bullshit.

that's what i say.  

play the game get hit, it's not a secret.

Well i think it's why they were yapping and didn't fight it wasn't that they were scared and what not.

They were just listening to the coach i think (just guessing) and wanted to win the game so the only thing they could really do if they didn't want to disobey the coach was yap and let the Caps players notice they took notice of the hit and will try to take it out them when they could.

I didn't see the game so they could have though paid them back legally with some hits on their players as well...didn't see it so i don't know if that happened but from what i read it sounds like it didn't happen.

I didn't see the game so they could have though paid them back legally with some hits on their players as well...didn't see it so i don't know if that happened but from what i read it sounds like it didn't happen.

They play the caps a couple more times...

Niskanen is on their top pair so its not like he won't be on the ice....

He has good speed so forechecking him is tough, but that would be my prefered mode of pay back...grind his ass for 10 of his 22 minutes.  I don't know if there is a Flyer with that game anymore though, Simmonds could skate with him so could Voras, but do you want 93 mucking in the corners or dangling ?

Maybe the good Schenn could get him...the pickings are slim.

but that would be my prefered mode of pay back...grind his ass for 10 of his 22 minutes.

Mine as well take the body he can deliver a clean hit but can he take it.....everyone should have every bit of motivation to finish their hit when he is lined up...with no illegal stuff of course the sin bin is not the way.

Sooo....

Let me get this right.  There was a big hit against Niskanen in the game last night before Niskanen went and made a big hit on Laughton.   Through this very hit that may have started it all who really drew the first hit of the game?   So, if any players hits a player therein lies the potential for a retaliatory hit that could lead to a bigger hit at a later time!  In which that very hit should be retaliated upon!  Pure genius Jack!!  It all makes sense now!

mind_blown.gif

might be time to dig up another 3 stooges gif. 

Archived