"We deserved to win the game and we didn’t."

fanaticV3.0

That was some of what Hextall said after last night's game. This comes just a few games after some of the players and the coach himself said they played a good game (after another loss).

Now I admittedly do not care about sports the way I used to. I still like and enjoy them, but I don't have to see every game anymore. Nor do I get fired up about losses the way I would have in the past (those of you who know me know I "wore my emotions on my sleeve"). I'm not once to mince words and I used to get really annoyed about the whole "no championships since 75" thing. I generally do not care as much. If they ever win one, great. I'd actually be pretty excited. But I don't get angry anymore. If they don't win, it's no skin off my back. I'm more apathetic than anything.

However, these statements kinda piss me off.  It sounds like the kind of stuff you tell children when they lose. But there comes a certain age, and I admit it's not an exact number, where that crap doesn't float anymore. I do know that it comes long before the age of paid professionals. I'm not saying there are no moral victories, but to say it after two losses in a row in a season where you got worse from the previous year? That's loser talk. I find it particularly bothersome that it's coming from the coach and GM, both of whom have barely been in their positions.

Berube sounds like a major clown lately imo. What was that quote the other day? Something about, "Well we weren't going to go 42-0"? That after some snappy and deflective comments about injuries. I think it was about Mason, but somebody asked him to comment. He outright refused. He stated twice that he "doesn't talk about injuries" or some similar nonsense. There was the one about Giroux too. Someone asked about him and he said something like, "You'll know if he's healthy if he's in the line up. I'll even start him just for you." Dude is a straight up goofball and I now picture him looking like @murraycraven's avatar all the time.

Even if they think it, it's not the kind of thing they should be saying that often given their season.

There was a "However" in there.

That's usually a word we use to distinguish a specific circumstance as an exception to that which was described I the initial phrase.

Or something... at least that's what I learned from "Conjunction Junction" when I was a kid.

so, your entire first paragraph is really not true b/c you obvioulsy do get really angry? claiming to be apathetic and then saying the same things pisses you off is counter intuitive - is it not?

8583b27cbee0ffdef2569fa479fa037f1964bf63

meow

so, your entire first paragraph is really not true b/c you obvioulsy do get really angry?   claiming to be apathetic and then saying the same things pisses you off is counter intuitive - is it not?

8583b27cbee0ffdef2569fa479fa037f1964bf63

meow

I would respond, but KK was kind enough to clear up any (supposed) confusion you might have.

What should they say? Nothing? That's ok but then some will be upset with that. How about they say how PO'd they are like Simmonds? Ooops! That get's people upset. Ok, how about keeping to the positive and say all those one dimensional platitudes that no one really believes? You admitted that pisses you off also. I'm obviously confused because no matter what they say (or don't) people are not going to like it... I personally always (even when they were in cup finals) took what the team (players/coach/gm) said with entire canister of Morton's salt. Nothing has changed from the times they were a contender until now and won't change when they are a contender again. What does change is how the fans/media perceive it based on the on ice product.

So, what can they say to make you happy? And be realistic if you answer that question...

What should they say? Nothing? That's ok but then some will be upset with that. How about they say how PO'd they are like Simmonds? Ooops! That get's people upset. Ok, how about keeping to the positive and say all those one dimensional platitudes that no one really believes? You admitted that pisses you off also. I'm obviously confused because no matter what they say (or don't) people are not going to like it... I personally always (even when they were in cup finals) took what the team (players/coach/gm) said with entire canister of Morton's salt. Nothing has changed from the times they were a contender until now and won't change when they are a contender again. What does change is how the fans/media perceive it based on the on ice product.

So, what can they say to make you happy? And be realistic if you answer that question...

If you are going to ask someone for a serious response, you probably shouldn't spend a healthy part of your post insulting them (for something you didn't like that they said in an entirely separate thread several days ago). They might not be inclined to give you that realistic answer you want when you coming out swinging like that (for no real reason). That's just a little friendly advice.

After a loss? How about, "We weren't good enough (to win)." or "We played good, but are not winning games (which is what matters)." Nothing groundbreaking, but it's at least realistic. This crap they've been spewing lately is delusional. They're just making excuses right now. You can praise your team's play in a losing effort without sounding like a delusional ass hole. You don't deserve to win in a loss. You reap what you sow.

There was a "However" in there.

That's usually a word we use to distinguish a specific circumstance as an exception to that which was described I the initial phrase.

Or something... at least that's what I learned from "Conjunction Junction" when I was a kid.

Thanks Kuato but "However" does not excuse him from not being "apathetic."   The very definition of apathetic is as follows:

"showing or feeling no interest, enthusiasm, or concern."

Since he is on a Flyers board making posts I would certainly say he is not apathetic to the Team.   Conjunction Junction was a neat show though...  

I think it is pretty easy to see by the number of angry posts that he is not "apathetic" but I do applaud your cute way of sticking up for fanatic. 

If you are going to ask someone for a serious response, you probably shouldn't spend a healthy part of your post insulting them (for something you didn't like that they said in an entirely separate thread several days ago). They might not be inclined to give you that realistic answer you want when you coming out swinging like that (for no real reason). That's just a little friendly advice.

After a loss? How about, "We weren't good enough (to win)." or "We played good, but are not winning games (which is what matters)." Nothing groundbreaking, but it's at least realistic. This crap they've been spewing lately is delusional. They're just making excuses right now. You can praise your team's play in a losing effort without sounding like a delusional ass hole. You don't deserve to win in a loss. You reap what you sow.

the 2010 team is what i miss the most about these players/coaches, they didnt make no excuses, they always had passion for the game like they care they won to win, if they make mistakes, they'll admit it and not make excuses and focus on playing what's wrong. this team just has no passion, no fire, no heart, nothing, making excuses for everything and not holding themselves accountable. it's nothing but a paycheck for these players, that's a loser mentality.

that's why i would rather have some younger hungrier underpaid players on this team, at least they can show some fire.

here is 2 cents worth of realistic advice for you: You might want to curb your reading so much into what people say when you are not in their head. I take posts/threads one at a time. Evidently you don't. I had no intent to take something out on you for something you said in another post. I can start doing that if you want since you are changing the game. The sad part is I don't have to ask others for a realistic answer, just you. I will leave you alone now, it's your thread. And, if you think that is "coming out swinging" you have much to learn.

You will note I had nothing to say about your 2nd paragraph because it mostly was a realistic response which is all I asked. And it wasn't directed solely at you anyway. It just seems to me no matter what they say gets people upset. It was a general commentary on "you just can't please everyone, especially Flyer's fans". I still don't get why you care about what they say so much, and again, especially when 1: you know what you are going to get and 2: You said you are apathetic anyway. Just let it go in one ear and out the other and watch the game and judge for yourself.

I have no ill will towards you, just stop being so defensive and I and others won't have to keep playing this stupid tick for tack posting thing...

the 2010 team is what i miss the most about these players/coaches, they didnt make no excuses, they always had passion for the game like they care they won to win, if they make mistakes, they'll admit it and not make excuses and focus on playing what's wrong. this team just has no passion, no fire, no heart, nothing, making excuses for everything and not holding themselves accountable. it's nothing but a paycheck for these players, that's a loser mentality.

that's why i would rather have some younger hungrier underpaid players on this team, at least they can show some fire.

That is such a romantic view of the 2010 team that just isn't the case.

This is a team that had no heart during the regular season and which most didn't even think was going to get into the playoffs through much of the second half of the season. And they almost didn't if they hadn't picked that one game to actually win a shootout.

This was the team whose captain was "Ho hum, it's only a game. Where are the chicks?"

Yeah, they finally showed something in the playoffs but the regular season was almost as ridiculous as this one is.

See the 2004 team that ultimately lost to Tampa if you want to cite heart. 2010 was an accident.

This is a team that had no heart during the regular season and which most didn't even think was going to get into the playoffs through much of the second half of the season. And they almost didn't if they hadn't picked that one game to actually win a shootout.

This was the team whose captain was "Ho hum, it's only a game. Where are the chicks?"

Yeah, they finally showed something in the playoffs but the regular season was almost as ridiculous as this one is.

See the 2004 team that ultimately lost to Tampa if you want to cite heart. 2010 was an accident.

true, true

The bickering nightmare of a group? The old guys and coach vs the young guys teams? Sure, they went to the Cup that one year, but I don't miss that group at all. That team was an absolute mess. These guys suck, but every post game press conferences isn't an accusation of conspiracy theories.

The core of this team is young forwards bro.

here is 2 cents worth of realistic advice for you: You might want to curb your reading so much into what people say when you are not in their head. I take posts/threads one at a time. Evidently you don't. I had no intent to take something out on you for something you said in another post. I can start doing that if you want since you are changing the game. The sad part is I don't have to ask others for a realistic answer, just you. I will leave you alone now, it's your thread. And, if you think that is "coming out swinging" you have much to learn.

You will note I had nothing to say about your 2nd paragraph because it mostly was a realistic response which is all I asked. And it wasn't directed solely at you anyway. It just seems to me no matter what they say gets people upset. It was a general commentary on "you just can't please everyone, especially Flyer's fans". I still don't get why you care about what they say so much, and again, especially when 1: you know what you are going to get and 2: You said you are apathetic anyway. Just let it go in one ear and out the other and watch the game and judge for yourself.

I have no ill will towards you, just stop being so defensive and I and others won't have to keep playing this stupid tick for tack posting thing...

Stop. If you are going to cry about something, don't then turn around and lie about it.

I'm honestly surprised the Richards and Carter fan club didn't lynch you for this post.

I'm honestly surprised the Richards and Carter fan club didn't lynch you for this post.

They're all just sitting on the bench chirping.  This is why Boston fans and Flyers fans are going in two different directions (one is going to Boston, the other to Philly).

eh, I've played well and lost, played poorly and won.  it is the nature of sport.  if your team puts forth a good effort where breaks go against you or a hot player goes out of their mind plays phenomenally and you don't get the result it was always nice for me to hear encouraging words about the effort .  I don't mind it.  

I don't see what the big deal is really @fanaticV3.0  it's not like the GM and coaches are breaking the law by encouraging effort.

eh, I've played well and lost, played poorly and won.  it is the nature of sport.  if your team puts forth a good effort where breaks go against you or a hot player goes out of their mind plays phenomenally and you don't get the result it was always nice for me to hear encouraging words about the effort .  I don't mind it.  

I don't see what the big deal is really @fanaticV3.0  it's not like the GM and coaches are breaking the law by encouraging effort.

After every one of their last three loses, they've said it's not over and in some cases even confidence. That's not putting a positive spin on things, that's delusional.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inqflyersreport/Flyers-insist-the-season-is-not-over.html

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/Flyers_hammered_by_Vancouver.html

Also, Marc Narducci sounds like a robot reading cue cards.

again, It doesn't bother me.  I don't think they're delusional , they have asses to put in seats, and 35+ games to play.  i'm not offended. I would be if they were saying "you know what **** it, imma going to take my stick for a skate for 2 months and work on my tan".

again, It doesn't bother me.  I don't think they're delusional , they have asses to put in seats, and 35+ games to play.  i'm not offended. I would be if they were saying "you know what **** it, imma going to take my stick for a skate for 2 months and work on my tan".

I'll take anger over lies, or at the very best people who are kidding themselves, any day.

That's not the point I wish to make though. Why does it have to go from one extreme to the other? Why do you think the only alternative to "We're not out of it" is to pout/quit? If anything, I think something between those two extremes is a more helpful solution. They're not a PO team. It's ok to say that. But that doesn't mean you can't have goals. They shouldn't even be talking about the PO. They should be taking things one game at a time and thinking about building success beyond this season. This season is a lost cause.

Archived