McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes at the halfway point

yave1964

As we round the halfway point lets take another look at who is in the running for the top two picks in the draft...

Edmonton continues to lead the way with an Anemic 29 points, with Buffalo on their tails with 31 and having lost 9 of their last 10, followed by Carolina with a pathetic 33. A look at the bottom teams:

Edmonton 29 points in 45 games

Buffalo 31 points in 45 games

Carolina 33 points in 43 games

Arizona 36 points in 43 games

Columbus 39 points in 41 games

New Jersey 40 points in 45 games

Philadelphia 41 points in 45 games

It is probably a four team race, Arizona is doing their best to get in the running, retread netminder Devan Dubnyk thanks to goalie coach Sean Burke has salvaged his career but the Coyotes are worried about falling out of contention for a top pick so they donated him to the Wild and plan on going with underachieving Mike Smith, at least as long as he is off his game, all bets are off if he rights the ship.

Carolina is just plain awful but Staal (the good one) supposedly has told the team he will refuse to waive his NTC so if the Canes plan on continuing their losing ways they may need to deal others such as Sekera away and to bump up the minutes played by guys like Semin and Staal the lesser.

Buffalo remains hopeless although they play hard under Ted Nolan.

Edmonton has already dealt Perron away and is giving top minutes to Derek Roy so they are doing their best to hold onto the top spot.

Columbus is having an unfortunate, star crossed season and should start slipping away from the pack and back towards near respectability as players return. New Jersey and Philadelphia have likely dug themselves too big of a hole to hope to finish anywhere better than 5th or so.

Dear Flyers....

please stop winning these meaningless games. McDavid/Eichel will do way more for this franchise going forward than winning every fourth game. 

signed....Sick of Mediocrity

I was just gonna make a thread about this, but in regards to my own dreadful team. Anybody can feel free to play along though.

If you are the GM of this team, how hard do you try to move up in the draft? They're not going to end up with a top 2 pick, so what are you willing to trade to move up? Just how far are you willing to go to get a supposedly franchise changing player? How much from your current roster, because picks alone ain't getting it done, to get one of them?

I still think the Flyers get top 5.  With Mason out and the defense in shambles...I still think a top 5 is a distinct possiblility.  Columbus is not as bad as their record suggests.  The Devils usually find ways to win games they are not suppose too.  Not sure what to make of the Yotes.  Trading Dubnyk certainly helped their cause to tumble.  The Canes/ Oilers / Sabres are flat out bad...however, the Sabres have shown stretches where they can play a bit better and shock some teams.  I'm hoping the Sabres do just that.

The Flyers CANNOT go on a winning streak near the end of the season.

I still think the Flyers get top 5.  With Mason out and the defense in shambles...I still think a top 5 is a distinct possiblility.  Columbus is not as bad as their record suggests.  The Devils usually find ways to win games they are not suppose too.  Not sure what to make of the Yotes.  Trading Dubnyk certainly helped their cause to tumble.  The Canes/ Oilers / Sabres are flat out bad...however, the Sabres have shown stretches where they can play a bit better and shock some teams.  I'm hoping the Sabres do just that.

The Flyers CANNOT go on a winning streak near the end of the season.

Oh, I have no doubt they can finish the bottom 5. They're a bad team. I was just saying that if they want one of the two kids who is theoretically going to fix all our problems they have to get a top two pick and what would you (or anyone else) be willing to do to get it.

@Hockey Junkie

No one in their right mind is taking anyone over McDavid or Eichel. And I can't see anyone passing up McDavid for Eichel...though theres more likelyhood of that happening than Hanifan going 1st or 2nd. Hanifan isn't even the consensus 3rd, though most have him there.

Oh, I have no doubt they can finish the bottom 5. They're a bad team. I was just saying that if they want one of the two kids who is theoretically going to fix all our problems they have to get a top two pick and what would you (or anyone else) be willing to do to get it.

I think it depends exactly where they finish...and what type of package might be able to be put together.

Does anyone feel that there are teams out there that might take the hot shot defenseman over McDavid or Eichel?  They say he is great.  And if a team needs defense first, is it possible?  Or do you just think they grab one of these two and possibly trade one for a top D man and to move up in the draft?  For Buffalo, who I believe is a lock to finish last, I say its a no brainer if they win the lottery. If they lose, its Eichel but that would not be considered a loss.  Perhaps the number one pick will be Eichel?  Who knows.  I hear he has more size?

It probably won't happen, but I could see both Edmonton and Buffalo doing it. Is Buffalo even allowed to draft someone like McDavid or Eichel? They are not the most offensive team out there and never are. They almost never have top tier forwards (and Hall is the closest thing Edmonton has had there in decades).

You seem to forget the Presidents Trophy and those teams that turned hockey into an entertaining sport again with Briere and Drury.  You are a fool

Those teams were always so fun to watch Pominville was on his game. Afinigenov was an incredibly skilled player. I hope Buffalo is able to return to the exciting level of play they had for years. The Sabres and the Habs had a ton of great battles and a playoff matchup would be incredible.

You seem to forget the Presidents Trophy and those teams that turned hockey into an entertaining sport again with Briere and Drury.

Hello? Much more to the story than that.

French Connection?

Pat LaFontaine?

You are a fool

Physician, heal thyself.

You seem to forget the Presidents Trophy and those teams that turned hockey into an entertaining sport again with Briere and Drury.  You are a fool.

Ooooooh, the President's Trophy. That's neat.

Where's Knut? I need him to translate for me again (I did say almost never bub)

Leafs are probably not bad enough to hit rock bottom (although they're trying their hardest at the moment), but they really do desperately need something to turn this joke of a franchise around. Connor McDavid would be perfect.

Since it would take winning a lottery and the hockey gods hate the Maple Leafs just like everyone else (including the Maple Leafs), it won't happen.

One can dream, I suppose.

You seem to forget the Presidents Trophy and those teams that turned hockey into an entertaining sport again with Briere and Drury.  You are a fool

Obama gave the Sabres a trophy? What did I miss?

Archived