Brodeur Decides to Retire

hf101

martin-brodeur-kissing-his-mask-a7623e77

Martin Brodeur will reportedly retire and join the Blues’ front office.

A lock for the Hockey Hall of Fame, Brodeur retires as the NHL’s all-time leader in wins (691) and shutouts (125). He also captured four Vezina Trophies as the league’s top goalie, won three Stanley Cups with the Devils and backstopped Canada to gold at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake.

As for Brodeur’s future, it’s quite interesting that he’s joining the St. Louis front office as opposed to New Jersey’s. Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said Brodeur had a standing offer with the organization, but Blues GM Doug Armstrong and head coach Ken Hitchcock have both been highly complimentary of Brodeur ever since he joined the club.

http://prohockeytalk...-blues-asst-gm/

No, not another one...

Dammit, all my 90s heroes are gone but one :( 

I would have thought he would get to 700...oh well  :mellow:

One of the greatest goalies of all time, What a wonderful career he has had. There may have been a few goalies that were better then him at his peak. But Brodeurs records (particularly his wins) will last a long time

Marty is one of the biggest reasons I'm a Devils fan. I didn't really start getting into hockey until the late 90's, and for whatever reason I just gravitated toward Marty and Stevens. It certainly helped that I came on board during the glory years, but those two instantly became my favorite players and made me a Devils fan.

The last few months have just felt strange. Seeing Marty in another jersey was kind of unsettling. In a lot of ways I feel like he retired last year. I'm hoping that like Stevens, Marty ends up back with the Devils in some capacity. I know a lot of Devils fans have talked about him possibly replacing Lou someday. Hopefully he gets some experience with the Blues the rest of the way and is back with the Devils next year to get his jersey retired. I know I'll probably cry like a baby that night. Now Patty is the only guy left from the glory days.

Marty is one of the biggest reasons I'm a Devils fan. I didn't really start getting into hockey until the late 90's, and for whatever reason I just gravitated toward Marty and Stevens. It certainly helped that I came on board during the glory years, but those two instantly became my favorite players and made me a Devils fan.

The last few months have just felt strange. Seeing Marty in another jersey was kind of unsettling. In a lot of ways I feel like he retired last year. I'm hoping that like Stevens, Marty ends up back with the Devils in some capacity. I know a lot of Devils fans have talked about him possibly replacing Lou someday. Hopefully he gets some experience with the Blues the rest of the way and is back with the Devils next year to get his jersey retired. I know I'll probably cry like a baby that night. Now Patty is the only guy left from the glory days.

Patrick is done judging from this season...But who knows? he could surprise us next year. Oh and i dont think Lou is leaving anytime soon. 

Patrick is done judging from this season...But who knows? he could surprise us next year. Oh and i dont think Lou is leaving anytime soon. 

Lou will probably be there as long as Lou wants to be, but he is getting up there in age and you would think he would want to start grooming somebody to take over for him a few years down the road. Which I think has kind of been the idea for Marty after his playing career is done. I think he's staying with the Blues to get a taste of what being in the front office is like, and he made a commitment to them after they gave him one last chance at playing. If he likes it, I think he'll probably join the Devils front office next year. In other words, Marty is Micheal Corleone. :lol:

No, not another one...

Dammit, all my 90s heroes are gone but one :(

I would have thought he would get to 700...oh well  :mellow:

One of the greatest goalies of all time, What a wonderful career he has had. There may have been a few goalies that were better then him at his peak. But Brodeurs records (particularly his wins) will last a long time

I strongly feel he should have retired as a Devil. This stint in St. Louis not only made him look bad, and came across as being selfish (pursuing 700 wins), but it took him out of the NHL's most exclusive club: the one-franchise club. :unsure[1]:

I strongly feel he should have retired as a Devil. This stint in St. Louis not only made him look bad, and came across as being selfish (pursuing 700 wins), but it took him out of the NHL's most exclusive club: the one-franchise club. :unsure[1]:

I don't know. I can't really blame a guy for still wanting to play. Professional athletes only have a certain amount of time in their lives to do what they truly love, and Marty loves to play. Who are any of us to say when he should quit?

As for the whole legacy thing, I think it'll be forgotten. Does anybody really remember Modano as a Wing, or Orr as a Hawk? A handful of games on another team isn't going to change all the wins, awards, Cups, gold medals, etc.

Brodeur can now enjoy being more with his family, truly look back and relish various moments in his career, and maybe even focus a bit more on helping his own son's career.

The man had nothing, NOTHING left to prove in the NHL and he really did do it all....Vezinas, All Star Games, multiple playoff games, multiple Stanley Cups, and heck, he was even a bit of a goal scorer! ;)

Sure getting to 700 wins would have been a nice round number to end his career on, but hardly worth the pursuit if it is a struggle to get there....and his final win total of 691, while not being as 'round' is still a fantastic record.

Good luck to him in retirement, and thanks from a fan who can credit him (along with some others) as being one of the players who helped me keep my interest in the sport of hockey growing up.

I still don't get why he's in St. Louis. Where was Lou when he decided to retire...you'd think he'd be offering him that job.

He will. Next year. Marty made a commitment to the Blues for this season and he's honoring that by finishing out the year there.

I don't know. I can't really blame a guy for still wanting to play. Professional athletes only have a certain amount of time in their lives to do what they truly love, and Marty loves to play. Who are any of us to say when he should quit?

I can! (Although I try not to be too harsh.)  ;)

The way I see it, the Devils provided an opportunity for Brodeur to retire with them. When they acquired Schneider, the message was very clear that it was time to hang'em up. While every athlete wants to keep playing, some don't know when it's time to quit. And some players hang around too long (well past their "best-before" date) and continue to pursue personal accomplishments over team accomplishments. That's when it bugs me.

Brodeur kept himself in the news by repeatedly telling anyone who would listen that he still wanted to play. The fact that nobody picked him up until mid-season kinda says everything you need to know about how the franchises valued him at that point. Some players literally have to be cut from their roster before they retire. So instead of going out with head held high, they go out the hard way.

In this situation, while everyone in the media is putting a polite spin on it, the fact is, the Blues didn't want Brodeur on the team anymore. He was cut. (They never wanted him to begin with, but they certainly didn't want him around now.)

So in the end, this was a publicity stunt in St. Louis to get eyeballs on their team while covering for an injured player. It was a chance for Brodeur to hit his own personal goal of 700 wins, and that's really all it was in my opinion.  :rolleyes: 

If any one of us has been the best at what we do for two decades, would we so easily say that it time for us to quit? Would we even be able to recognize, in the moment, that we weren't as good anymore? One of the things we praise hockey players for is never giving up, fighting to the end. Yet when players get old we expect them to go out when we want them to? I just think we, as fans, take a little too much ownership of these players at times. Does it upset me that Marty played a handful of games on another team to end his career? Of course. I would have loved for him to end his career having only played for the Devils. But it's his choice. He more than earned the right to go out how he wanted to, whether we agree with how he did it or not.

But it's his choice. He more than earned the right to go out how he wanted to, whether we agree with how he did it or not.

yep, and Marty may be better off going out this way, with a 2nd career on a Stanley Cup contender.

All of Martys records

Most regular season wins: 691
Most regular season shutouts: 125

Most regular season losses: 396
Most playoff shutouts: 24
Most shutouts, regular season & playoffs combined: 149
Most overtime wins: 47
Most 40-win seasons: 8
Most 30-win seasons: 14
Most consecutive 40-win seasons: 3 (tied with Evgeni Nabokov)
Most consecutive 35-win seasons: 11
Most consecutive 30-win seasons: 12
Youngest goalie to reach 300, 400 and 500 career wins
Only goalie to reach 600 career wins
Most career saves: 28,508
Most games played by an NHL goaltender: 1,259 (also most played with a single team)
Most total minutes played by an NHL goaltender: 74,083
Only NHL goalie to score a game-winning goal
Most career goals by a goaltender, including playoffs: 3
Most career goals by a goaltender in the regular season: 2
Only goalie to win 100 games in two separate buildings (Continental Airlines Arena and Prudential Center)

Regular season

Most wins in a single season (48, in 2006–07)
Most minutes played in a single season (4,697, in 2006–07)

Playoffs

These statistics are accurate as of the end of the 2012 NHL Playoffs.

Most shutouts in a playoff campaign (7, in 2003)
Most shutouts in a Stanley Cup final (3, in 2003; tied with Toronto Maple Leafs' Frank McCool)
Third goaltender to win the Stanley Cup with a Game 7 shutout in 2003.
First goaltender in history to have 3 shutouts in two different playoff series (1995 against Boston in the Conference Quarterfinals, 2003 against Anaheim in the Stanley Cup final.)
Most points and assists in a playoff campaign (4 assists, in 2012).

Estimated wins lost due to lockouts:  60

So Brodeur could have retired with 751 wins if the NHL played a full schedule every year and didn't miss half of two separate seasons and one entire season during Marty's career.

One thing about Brodeur is he certainly played more than any other goalie. The most impressive feat of his career is playing 70+ games in a season 12 times. His workload was incredible.

Even Roy, who played on two very good teams (Montreal and Colorado) doesn't come anywhere close to Brodeur's win total because he didn't have the same workload, and he didn't hang around until his skills diminished, although he did win the same percentage of his games: 64%. 

Archived